Maxim Fix Update

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by jfkoski, Oct 13, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

The Heironymous Maxim (Repair Master) fix is to correctly make you a mechanized gun if you bring him its components after helping him.

The readme.txt says that he didn't fix the rumor file to tell you what the corrected items should be. Also when you give him the items, it sets a flag so you can't do it again but doesn't quell the rumor (strikethrough). Here's my update to address these issues.

Open this file (from Arcanum.dat), change the lines and save as shown:
    Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/mes/game_rd_npc_m2m.mes
    {43500}{Hieronymous Maxim has told me that if I were to bring him a hunting rifle, a loading mechanism, and a revolver chamber he would construct for me a mechanized gun.}

Now you can choose whether you want him to be able to build you only one gun (change line 190) or as many as you want (change line 7). Remember to use the file from the fix download:
    Arcanum/data/dlg/01923Maxim.dlg

{7}{You said you would build me a mechanized gun.}{}{5}{in5678, in5701, in2033, qu1141 4}{-2}{}

{190}{[His hands fly with amazing speed, agility, and grace over the machined parts you have handed him.] Here you are, sir.}{[His hands fly with amazing speed, agility, and grace over the machined parts you have handed him.] Here you are, madam.}{}{}{}{rq2175}

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Don't forget about the dumb dialog version: game_rd_npc_m2m_dumb.mes.

{43500}{Hironeemus Maxum say if I brung him a huntin' rifle, a loading mekanism and a re-volver chambur he make me a mekanized gun.}

3. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I didn't see "Mechanized Guns for Dummies," so we might not need it (i.e. -4 responses).

But the other night, I brought my normal-headed character to Maxim, and he didn't offer to make me the gun, or put it in my rumor book. I checked the dialog file, and couldn't figure out why he wouldn't unless he was ticked that you didn't have the camera the first time you met him (I think not). So I went and brought him the components for the gun anyway, and it gave me the option:
    "You said you'd build me a mechanized gun."
    He did it, so I don't think he was p.o'd.

Here then is the latest fix so that you'll get the line where he offers the gun, plus a line that strikes-through the rumor he's the Master:

01923Maxim.dlg
    {310}{Of course! Anything for the chap that kept me from being run out of town on a rail! [He proceeds to train you in mastering Repair.]}{Of course! Anything for the miss that kept me from being run out of town on a rail! [He proceeds to train you in mastering Repair.]}{}{}{}{tr12 3, rq2171}//ADDED QUENCH RUMOR

{349}{Thank you.}{}{5}{}{126}{ }//ADDED GOTO

{361}{E:}{}{1}{}{126}{ }//ADDED GOTO

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't one of the Otto Krupp fixes get rid of this problem anyway?

5. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

The Maxim fix deals with you bringing him gun components and then walking away with a mechanized gun.

Please see above for what the fix does and does not do.

Our Host!