Make existing race playable

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Lord Deker, Jul 16, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    That has struck me too.

But when you think of it, you can usually get a hint of such things by a persons clothing, accent and general behaviour. The elven noble in the Gentleman's Club is probably dressed and behaving in a typically dark elven manner.

2. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

Hm...... maybe, but the common people know little, or even know nothing about dark elven kind, right? When you first meet Raven you ask her about "What is the Dark Elf?". It seems that except a "Dark Elf Follower" (Background), no one knows "Dark Elven Manner".

And...... aren't the dark elf trying to prevent people from knowing their existence? They kill book keepers and burn book stores for a book reveal their location!

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, yeah, that's sort of true. I'm a bit dim today it seems.

It seems that we've discovered yet another design flaw :eek: !

... I believe that the problem lies in that all NPC:s in Arcanum belong to a faction. The elf at the club belongs to the Dark Elf faction and is thus labelled "Dark Elf Noble" as he should be. The problem is that, as you stated, few people have ever seen a dark elf and lived long enough to tell. He shouldn't had been known as a Dark Elf, they should simply go with Elf.

But it's a bit late to change that now, don't you think :D

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I Think that there should be, female dwarves, and female for the rest which has only male.

5. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Why? Are you especially keen on playing a female dwarf?
    I rather like the idea than no-one really know anything about female dwarves, except the dwarves of course and they aren't talking.

Of course if we go by Terry Pratchetts theory, then there is no outwardly visible difference between male and female dwarves, making dwarven courtship very, very polite affairs. =)

-Stuart

6. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

yeah im kinda curious where the dwarves keep thier women locked in at but last time i tried to find out i got beat up by a heard of dwarves :lol:

7. Langolier

Langolier Member

I dont know if Trolls should really be in the game as a playable race, I mean you only hear them mentioned in once background. Perhaps they should be a monster found in the game, or maybe even have a Troll folower.
    Male and Female Orcs should definetly be a selectable race.
    Same with Female Haflings and Gnomes.
    If they have a Dark Elf background, then using it should change the story greatly.
    There should be a (or a series) of Vendigrothian backgrounds for humans. Giving you various bonuses to tech and the like. I imagine the game would be much different for a Vendigrothian too.

8. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I personally like that idea... trolls would be a cool addition... but one thing you need to do is double the neg on int, and increase all resistances to like +70% (trolls are [traditionally] highly resistant to all but fire) except for fire, which should be like permanently 0. and I don't think the dialogue for male/female dwarves should be any different... as I know of no one who can (willingly) tell them apart... and about the dark elves: it doesn't really show in the game, but if you open up World Ed and go to "Dark Elves" you will discover their skin is, intruth, a shade of either blue or purple, varying upon which one and what not... but the color of thier skin matters not... it is thier series of BELIEFS (as Ferret said) that makes them Dark Elves. by RACE Drizzt Do'Urden was a Dark Elf, but by BELIEFS he was a normal elf.... and what the craze with Dark Elves is I know not, I personally wish to be a female gnomish pirate. :lol: I think that has to be the most unusual trait on earth... but anyway... what about making the gods a more defiant part of the world? like why not have them have "Avatars" like they do in BG? that would make things much more interesting, mainly because what kind of character you were would vary how they would react towards you (ie: if your evil entering the temple of Halycon would not be smart)... I think that would add a cool twist to it... and there need to be more theiving quests... thieving quests are always fun... :)

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

i would like it if when you choose race you get to columns, one with wich race your mother were, and one with your father.
    since this would make alot of new races.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, it would open up the option for a whole lot of new half-breeds - like the offspring of a dwarf and gnome. What the fuck would you have to call that - a gnorf? "EEEEK! Run! That gnorven warrior is going berzerk!"

Seriously though, I'm glad that there's a limit on how races can interbreed. Many of them could be rather perverted otherwise. Imagine what would happen if you crossbred an ogre with a halfling...

11. Silvio-Arjunza

I think that would be a cool thing to do, though it would take a HUGE amount of work... example: say you have 5 races. you then have a total of 3125 combinations of races... and EACH ONE would have a different series of dialogues avialable/not avilable to you... that would be a HUGE effort to pull off... you'd need an entire design team just for that! and I think worse than a Ogre and a Halfling would be if your mother was Gnorf, and your father was a Trogre (half troll, half ogre)... do you know how UGLY you would be? you'd have like permanent -15 to beauty, intelligence, and stamina... but like a +30 to strength, stamina, and health.... you'd be the ugliest, dumbest creature on Middle Earth!! (I didn't wanna say Earth and I could think of no other a-kin word)

12. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Getting back to the female issue, there should be female gnomes and halflings available. Both of those races have female NPCs and their females are not hidden away or anything, so they should be playable. Theire may be an excuse for not having female dwarves or half-ogres because of the story line, but not gnomes or halflings and it really bugs me that Troika left them out just because they didn't fit the "standard" size. There is even a comment that halfling females are adventurous in the book, so they should be playable.

I'd also like to see both genders of orcs and ogres playable since there is no reason for them not to be available and they both do exist. But in Arcanum only male orcs and ogres ever appear. This is silly and biased. Again, I think Troika got a bit lazy in creating their sprites because the females didn't fit the "standard" mold.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but I like the flexibility to choose any gender of any race present in a game unless there is a reason in the story line to prevent it.

Maybe someone could even come up with sprites to add them to the current game? They seem to be possible, but just not allowed for because there are no sprites to give them existence. Still, it would be a lot of work and constitute a MAJOR mod.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the reason why Troika cut out female variants of some races was limited time - they simply couldn't add all the extra dialog and whatnot required within their time schedule.

And as they saw that very few people would actually play as female halflings/gnomes etc, they just left them out,

14. Susano

Susano New Member

not all races can inbreed . RTFM, so to say :p
    elves, orcs and humans sould be freely intebreed which eahc other, but something seems to block out elven-orc mix in most cases (see half orge quest). So only half-elven an half-orcs.
    vbby the same logic the manual used, gnomes and halflings should be able to inbreed to, as halflings are a magical offspring of gnomes, just as elven and orcs are of humans.
    Of course there are half-ogres.. ogres and humans shouldnt be, genetically, able to breed, buT i geuss you can say that is because of evolutionary randomness.
    but half-ork/half-ogre halfbreeds should be psossible then - now THAT would be fun, lol.

15. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Personally, I think playing a female halfling makes more sense than playing a male halfling because of the constitution bonus. You have a few other bonuses, as well, if you play your cards right. You can also make money off the quests for Madame Lil as a female, which you can't as a male. So there's a lot to be said for playing female characters and it sucks that you can't play all of the races as female that should be available.

Also, the dialog exists. What is missing is mainly the sprites. I've used an editor to change gender and play as a female halfling and it works! For that matter, they don't have a TRUE gnome sprite because the gnomes look like halflings when you play one and they shouldn't - they should be taller and thinner.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Ah, I believe that's the first time I've seen that abbreviation used at this forum. It used to be an all-time favourite to flame n00bs with at the NWN boards...

Doesn't the manual say that the ancient enchantment that created the first giants has dimnished to such an extent that the ogres of today have become so closely related to the human stock that the two races may now interbreed?

*cough* RTFM *cough* :D

What do you mean by that?

17. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Haven't you ever looked at the basic difference between a male and female of a given race, Dark Elf? Females get a bonus of +1 CN to offset the -1 ST. With a halfling, that can make a huge difference since they are pretty weak anyway, but add to that the ability to get cash from the quests for Madame Lil and it makes playing a female halfling pretty appealing.

BTW, what does RTFM mean? Never saw that before, but I'm fairly new to these forums.

18. Silvio-Arjunza

I'm gonna make female dwarves, gnomes, and halflings that'll join your party, does that do anything for ya? if someone would create the sprites I'll add the races into KoL. I dunno what RTFM means, I've been here for awhile, and I've terrorized other forums, and I've never seen that.

19. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I've never seen it either, but after reading Susano and Dark Elf's posts I'd say it means something like "Read the fucking manual".

20. Susano

Susano New Member

Yupp, yupp, yupp. But I guess neither meant it serious, heh.

hm. *does RTFM* :D
    It doesnt say anything about becoming closer to humans, just that they... shrink. lol.
    However, gianst were created per magical selection out of humans, too! I wrongly remembreed they were natural selection, like dwarfes. So, my theory makes sense again:

-All races can interbreed with their "magical children" (races that were created per magic out of them) /"parents".
    -"Magical brothers" can interbreed only limited (or-elf halfbreed), or not at all (somehow, and elf-ogre halfbreed somees even more unliekly to me than than orc-elf halfbreed... even if giants and elven were creted at the same time by the same event)
    -races seperated by natural selection (dwarven, humans, gnomes) can not interbreed.

so that leads us to see the races in three "families":
    -Humans (Humans, Elven, Orcs, Giants, Ogres)
    -Dwarven (only them)
    -Gnomes (gnomes, halflings).
    rules #1 and #2 apply for breeding within the "family", rule #3 for without... brrrr.... but this without seems rather scary for me...dwar and elf? oh my....

hm. so, really, halfing-gnom halfbreeds fit in perfectly... they would be the only other race avaible through interbreeding using this system.

Our Host!