Magic-Tech Fusion

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Chosen One, Apr 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Magick isn't necessarily dying. It's on its way down, but it's probably never going to die. Magick and Tech goes in cycles, just like the whateverwashisname half-elf photographer tells you at the inn of Roseborough.

The sequel could as well be set in the far future, with technology being the dominating force... with magick, slowly but surely rising.

2. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

re

what I mean is, some chick founded Sierra with her husband in her kitchen. She first made Diablo or some other really popular game. Man, that game gives me the chills, you walk into a room and some weird pig-lookin' thing says "Ahhhhh, fresh meat" brrr. nasty, i hate him.

3. Baal

Baal New Member

Getting back to topic

I don’t think that you could combine them and get them to work together. I herd in a book some ware (I think it was in tulla I’ll get back to you on this) that when you combined magic and technology that they cause some kind of rifts or something, what if you could use these “rifts” as a weapon like gun that fires them or a bomb. That would be a cool thing for the main boss a bomb that would destroy the world, or just a big bad gun that makes that makes him powerful, or both. The bomb idea would make a cool theme if you don’t stop him he blows up the world.

4. Baal

Baal New Member

Well I said I would get back to you.

5. Baal

Baal New Member

I think I may have something, I got inspired over night :thinker: and am now continuing this idea in a new thread called “An Interesting Story Line”.

“The rise of magic, the fall of technology, or is it the final balance.”
    Or maybe I think too much and am loosing my mind. :-?

For Magic-Tech Fusion ideas continue in this thread.
    Mine is related but completely different.

6. Idznak

Idznak New Member

If I see a Magic-Tech weapon I will seriously kill myself, Seriously.

If you talked to a random villager in Shrouded Hills about Magick and Technology, he says, and I quote "Magick twists nature to it's purpose, while Technology uses all of nature" at least that's the general idea

So it would be using a twisted nature, which would end up turning everything opposite, air turns solid, existence none, and THAT'S why you don't cross the streams.

When Arcanum 2 is released, you see a newspaper at the beginning...

"MAN KILLS HIMSELF!

'I didn't want to see a mix of technology and magick!' more details on page 13"

Thank you all and Good Day

7. Pik

Pik New Member

I already wrote it,but on a wrong thread I believe. While magick alters reality and tech uses its laws, IMO these two actually COULD combine if the magickal element was weak enough and tech element featured high safety margin, which would let the device withstand fluctuations in laws of nature caused by magick.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    No.

9. Pik

Pik New Member

Could you please elaborate, Dark Elf?

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    What I mean is - magick and technology are meant to be opposing each other at any given time. The way it works in Arcanum, you shouldn't be able to combine the two into anything useful.

11. Pik

Pik New Member

Every being though is more technological or magickal (aptitude) and you wrote yourself in another thread, that a character who uses both low level tech and magick can be quite powerful. Also: a magickal sword... the cutting edge is a way to deliver pressure on a limited surface, so that pressure delivered to a sqare inch is greater (in fact so great, that it can cut things). And that's using laws of nature. On the other hand sword is simple enough to be not only enchanted but also magickally forged.

Our Host!