Magic plus Tech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quethim, Oct 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Quethim

Quethim New Member

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

3. ktaek

ktaek New Member

Actually many spells are not dependent on aptitude. Summons are one of them. Doesn't matter if you're 100 Magical or 100 tech, it still summons the same creature.

The ones that are affected by aptitude are saving throw spells and spells with variable outcome, like damage dealing spells.

What hurts most about aptitude is that you cannot use magic items very effectively and vice versa.

4. Ioo

Ioo New Member

If you got 0 apt you won't get a wabbit! so it does matter.

5. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Has anyone played the multiplayer enough to say how the different types of character match up?

I wonder how a well made tech char would do compared to a decent mage.

6. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Oooh yes finaly the stupid ornate flinstone is gone I hated it! Now I'm ageless blade...

Notice how ageless fits me.. ageless - one without age... therefore young immature little annoying pestering creature.

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

If only. I get to play it once but then the host log-off.

8. Milo

Milo New Member

Just fixing the date thingie. Don't mind me.

9. farknl

farknl New Member

Been thinking about buying another copy and trying it out multi-player, but every game I've tried with a turn based option has sucked in multi-player. Send me your copy Sheriff and I'll let you know.

10. Quethim

Quethim New Member

multiplayer wont even work so what is the point

11. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I played LAN, there were 2 people axcept me... and they were dueling. But since I hosted it I thoughtfully planted the duelfield with bombs, and got myself some detonators. That was fun to watch them get blown to pieces.

12. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru New Member

Only certain spells are effected by aptitude. There are several spells that can be very useful for a tech-oriented character, like that Fire Magic one that increases your Dexterity. Teleport is also usable with a high technical aptitude, but to get it you will have to learn 3 spells that are useless with a high tech aptitude (Disarm, Unlocking Cantrip, and Unseen Force).

This will reduce your technical aptitude somewhat, but the benefits can outweigh the drawbacks - high aptitude seems to be more important to mages than techies. About the only thing I've noticed that a higher tech aptitude will do for you is keep you out of magic shops, give you a better to-hit with firearms on magical creatures, and make spells cast on you fizzle more. Since most of the spells that are going to be cast on you are healing spells, there are more disadvantages than advantages. By picking up a few useful spells a tech-oriented character can keep his tech aptitude lower for longer, allowing him to sell stuff in magic shops and get healed by Virgil later into his development than he normally would.

13. shalder

shalder New Member

I noticed it takes a very high tech apptitude to get full damage resistance out of some tech armors like electroplate and dark machined plate. I think this depends mostly on the tech level of the item, cause a chapeau of magnetic inversion gives a whopping 20dr, but takes very little tech knowledge to get the full effect.

BTW I love playing an escaped tech master lunatic, i'm nearly immune to just about all damage and magick :smile:

Our Host!