Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by friend_al_23, Dec 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Are you sure about that? I thought that Elrond's elves were all sailing away (hence the Arwen thing - why have that big speech if most of them were just going to stick around for a while anyway?), and the ones who went to Helm's Deep were the Lothlorien elves (Galadriel and Celeborn's), especially because right before they show up Galadriel has that long speech about not leaving Middle-Earth to its fate.

2. Settler

Settler Member

Hear, hear. Although I really like that whole stout-angry-dwarf-with-an-axe/hammer thing, it was overdone in both movies. The only Gimli line that was any good was during ***SPOILER***...

...Helm's Deep, where Aragorn and Gimli go out the 'back door' to meet the oncoming orcs...it's not exact, but hey...

*On a ramp a few metres away from the one the orcs are charging up, talking about how to attack*
    "It's a long way..."
    (Whispering)"Toss me!"
    "What?"
    "Toss me! Don't tell the elf, though."
    *Aragorn tosses Gimli into the fray, where he cleaves about 10 orcs*

Makes more sense if you've seen the first film ("Nobody tosses a dwarf!").

***UBER-SPOILERS!!!***

Also...I know I'm just whining, and some of these aren't realistic, but, eh...

1. The near-slapstick FIGHT SCENE when the three hunters (plus Gandalf) arrive in Theoden's Hall.
    2. No Huorns at Helm's Deep.
    3. Not much screen time for the Ents and Isengard.
    4. Faramir was basically like Boromir, but MORE selfish, instead of LESS.
    5. The film in general felt cut to between 8 and 9 tenths of the book. Looks like the Scouring of the Shire will have to go...
    6. Pointless dissapearance of Aragorn (I know he has another Arwen-Dream (tm), but I can't remember what...).
    7. Gandalf the White too similar to Saruman the White.

Redeemers

1. Excellent Gollum, in all respects.
    2. Helm's Deep was brilliant, particularly the orc-ladders and cavalry charge.

Ummm....I know that seems horribly outnumbered, but I enjoyed the movie as a whole - there's lots of things not worth mentioning.

3. Lauchlin

Lauchlin New Member

I liked the movie, and I didn't mind about the Elves coming to Helm's Deep.. But the Battle of Helm's Deep was disappointing to me. In the trailers, it looked like it was about to explode, but it never really did.. That's my main complaint about the movie, though I also didn't like the useless disappearance of Aragorn and the Exorcism of Theoden.. The rest was great.

Weird thing is, I never really liked FotR, but after I saw TTT, I watched FotR Extended again, and now I love it!

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oops, my bad. You're right - I couldn't remember who had said that they couldn't leave the humans to face Sauron alone.

I agree with you on the Aragorn thing, but the exorcism of Theoden (as you put in) was in the book. It's a somewhat important event, so leaving it of the movie would be like taking out the whole nation of Rohan, because without the king to order them into battle, they're pointless to the story.

5. Lauchlin

Lauchlin New Member

In the book, Theoden was sorta brainwashed by Grima.. But in the movies, Saruman seemed to control Theoden's mind.. I didn't like that

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

How long did the movie take? Still haven't watch it. :(

7. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

i've not long got home from watching it, about 3 hour's ago, and i timed the movie (i normally do that with every movie i go see) from the start of the opening credits till the start of the ending credits at 2 hr's 45, give or take 30 sec's.
    I really like the way Smegol/Golom was portrayed, the scene where he was argueing with himself nearly had me in tears from laughter with the different camera shot's and pose's (sp) he was in changing to show the different personality's with every camera change was brilliantly done.
    the Ent's deffinately needed LOT'S more screen time during thier assault on Isengard, but overall the fight scene's were nicely done (read spectactular) and Gimli's and Legolas's compitition with kill's was nice, with Gimli standing on top of the battlement's (he must of got that box Legolas offered) counting with every swing got me laughing again...... swing, 18..... swing, 19..... swing, 20......
    All in all, i would say that the movie was more than adiqautly (big sp there) converted from the book, but i can't wait to see the extended version to see what they had but decided to leave out. i give it a "sweeet" rating and wholeheartedly encourage everyone to see it now.

8. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

i have to wait until january 16 to see it.... :(

9. Flink

Flink New Member

I liked it more then the first one even tough it wasn't quite as true to the books as Fellowship. The final battle was awsome! :)

Even though I like Gimli a lot I thought there where way too many jokes on how short he was. One or two jokes is fine, but It got almost ridiculus near the end. Dwarf abuse!

10. Settler

Settler Member

All this Elf talk reminds me...in the extended edition of LotR: FotR, the wood-elves (presumably Gildor's, who didn't appear in the normal version) are travelling to the Grey Havens when Sam and Frodo see them.

Our Host!