Lionheart. -or- I actually bought a game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Aug 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hi all - I just popped by so make a post and see what was going on. I should have KNOWN there'd be something about Lionheart going on.

Unfortunately, my first post for ages is going to be a grumpy one.

I don't understand how you thought the premise for this game was too good to pass up. Seems to me the idea behind it may well have come froma conversation like this:

PRODUCT PLANNER: So ... we still don't have an RPG on the cards. Anyone seen any good proposals?
    CREATIVE1: Nope
    CREATIVE2: Nah
    CREATIVE3: I saw this idea where everyone could play online togather and they wou-
    ALL: SHUT UP!
    PP: glaring at CREATIVE3 Well, barring 10 yr projects to do something "massive", looks like we got zip. Let's see if we can come up with any ideas.
    C2: Well ... what we looking at, sci-fi or fantasy?
    PP: Are they the only options?
    C2: Er ... think so. More or less. Everythings one or the other right?
    C1: What about crime, horror, contempory, romance, political, pop culture and ... ahhh ... um ... skaterboy.
    ALL: stare blankly
    PP: So ... is fantasy good?
    C3: nods vigorously Yeo! Everyone's doing fantasy right now. Have been for years.
    PP: Great - we should do that then. Now, what's our story.
    C1: sarcastically Why don't we fill a world with the standard elves, orcs, demons etc and have the players create a party to stop a major bad guy.
    PP: Great! I like it ... though I'm not too sure we should be aiming for "standard". This outfit's about innovation right? Remember the kick off meeting?
    C2: Well, we could put it in a new setting ...?
    PP: Good idea, that will give us our originality angle.
    C3: How about doing it somewhere with Knights and chivalry and stuff? All that stuff is cool. I try to live within the chivalric codes myself you know.
    PP: Knights ... you mean like with the crusades?
    C3: Yep, and they already have all the swords and horsies and stuff ... so it fits right in ...
    C2: But how did all the elves and other monsters get there?
    C3: Must be a rip in space-time. Really, that's the only way it could happen.
    PP: Yes! You're a genius. Let's do it and lets see if we can develop out this crusades thing a bit more, okay? Boy this thing's going to be massive.
    C1: smacks forehead

It just seems to me there's not likely to be much depth to it. I won't be buying it, because I'm worried I'll end up just running around stabbing orcs (or orc-like things) again for no real reason.

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

ThreeDogs!!! Sheriff!!!

You fuckers had better have come back here for good, or I'm going to go and mourn. Then I'll probably get something to eat, read a book, listen to music, come back here and then mourn some more.

A likely story. What did they do, strike oil and call off the chase and decide to get rich instead? You may be surprised to know that the server came back up a week or two after the crash which precipitated your exit. Ah well, it's good to have you back ThreeDogs.

As for you Fatman, you still crack me up. Please stay, I need some more of my older buddies around. Retard probably also wants your ass (him being a stuhpid farmah after all), but that's another matter.

3. Sheriff Fatman

I can't even surf at work anymore, Jar, let alone post. I'll try to stop by much more often though just to make the odd post.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

hey you like to surf? i boogey board a good bit (i never had the time to learn how to surf) but not anymore since i moved to virginia. where do you go to surf in london? i lived in south hampshire for a while (i lived in a rented house right at the beach) and the beaches sucked, it was all sharp pebbles and mud, and warning signs. may be barton on sea wasnt the greatest surfing town, but never the less, where do you go?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You know Sleek, I could be proven wrong, but there just was this little thing nagging me:

... since the kind of posters that make entries at this forum while riding a tidal wave are a rather rare breed, I made the asumption that SF just could had meant surfing on the net rather than floating around in the sea on a piece of wood...

But that could just be me :D

6. Sheriff Fatman

And then, of course Jar, there's just something about web forums that annoys the shit out of me. I wonder what brought that to mind.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I had this whole mini-rant about what I thought you'd written designed to shame you into coming back all ready to post, then I reread what you actually wrote, and I couldn't figure out what you were referring to. So please, elaborate for the benefit of my own dumb ass.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

<blushes(but a manly blush none of that girly shit)>

he's probably referring to my last ridiculous post in this thread...

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Actually, you left out the bit about how Lionheart was intended to be a light RPG Hack 'n Slash from the get-go. The story world is actually quite interesting though, the rip in space-time and all that. It's just that Reflexive got caught up in the paradox of "We want to make a quality RPG" vs "OMFG this has to be released like YESTERDAY so quick, less RPG and more hack 'n slash". That's why Barcelona is RPG and the rest is almost pure combat.

Yes, somewhere along the way the intellectual capacity of the average poster dropped from "rare intellectual, able to make biting sarcasm and witty remarks" to "Hi, I'm 14 years old and my parents just got the net OMFG!".

If Sleek_Jerk had the intellectual capacity to be sarcastic, his surfing post just may have been funny.

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Those words, Sleek_Jeek & intellectual capacity, do not belong in the same sentence.

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i'd try to argue, but in this case i deserve to be subjected to every word of it. (not that anyone else does...)

12. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

ahhhh so I said to myself "self...barruumpa, be here all week folks," anyway I decided to play the game since I had paid for it. Milo, the swears do suck, the thing is pitch black I was not having fun I just wanted to finish the thing to i could see some daylight. Now the fucking thing keeps crashing. So what do I doooby doody doo I look for a patch. One would think that when you put out a piece of shit game you would have a patch to go with it. But no such luck, so I’m gonna get out the rusty nail and lighter fluid and give that bad bitch CD and auto da fe

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

They're making a patch. As per Thy Official Lionheart Patch Thread on the Interplay --> Lionheart Forums, it's still not out yet.

You might want to read this too.
    Is Lionheart Crashing? Help us Help you!
    Go on, send it to the bastards. You know you want to. Make the fuckers pay.

Just for fun, you might want to read some of the other threads on the Lionheart forums too.
    holy crap, does this game suck that bad?

14. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Every one of you that paid money for this game has stoked the fires for the future of bad gaming. I bid each and every one of you bon voyage on your trip to self-created hell. Go, throw your dollars into the raging bonfire of games in need of patches and over-marketed hype. BON VOYAGE!

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

this is why i usually wait until pc gamer has a review of a game before i buy it.

or in this ase, until i hear about something like this.

Our Host!