Like Sacrifice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ioo, Feb 21, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Sounds like the combat system of DungeonQuest - a hugely enjoyable system of bluffing and anticipating.

For that matter, it sounds like Scissors-Paper-Stone. Who among us can claim to be a master of that? Be warned, I shall be challenging anyone who makes sucha claim to defend it in the Ching-Chang-Chong arena!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-25 05:48 ]</font>

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'll give you a 4-square game of Tic-Tac-Toe...

3. Gonk

Gonk New Member

Shallow is a bad thing in a strategy-game but it's not necessarely a bad thing in a RTS if it's action-oriented. Sacrifice certainly seems action-oriented too me.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I dunno. Some pretty simple principles have led to some pretty interesting/challenging strategy games.

Wei Chi
    Chess
    Risk

All good games, that can be played over and over again, and have room for some complex and varied strategies.

My own favourite was a version(-ish) of Risk, called Totar War, put out on the Amiga as PD software. My brothers, my friends and I played that little beauty for endless hours

Maybe I misunderstood what was meant by shallow.

5. Gonk

Gonk New Member

I think S_P meant that you only need one strategy which makes the game shallow. This certainly rules out chess from shallow games. Many earlier games had the winning strategy "Mightiest tank-force beats everything" which today is replaced in most RTS's by the stone, bag and scissors-strategy that Sacrifice have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gonk on 2002-02-26 18:49 ]</font>

6. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I got a collective response to all of you here...

SP: The game actually has alot more strategies than one... It is true you don't need to use any principle except the more the better in campaign... though you'd do better to play smarter... In Multiplayer there is more tactics people use... Spell combinations and creature combos too. Flyers don't always beat melee... only on the first level because flyers are high in the air and melee is small and weak... higher level units can reach most flying creatures... Also there is such things as really short ranged units which are used differently... Melee flyers and ranged flyers. And spells. I think that makes for some fun gameplay. It's not too complex but it's complex enough for people being alot better than you are at it.

Jar: Yeah sports are games... Different though, I think, because of physical competition... Though most are taking too seriously anyways. Also tic tac toe is good... 4 square... you can't possible win if you need to have 3 in a row... unlimited field tic tac toe is fun.. where you need to have 5 in a row.

Chess is one of my favorite games I think... Though I don't play it all that much because it requires concentration and... finding a partner. Though I play on yahoo sometimes...

And no, not all good games can be replayed... they can be but it won't be fun.

7. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Actually Sacrifice like any game that ventures into a new form of gameplay, sacrifice had its faults. Well that is because it is new. Sure the combat was clutterd, but the controls was easy even though it required setting hot keys your self. And combat was not a one strategy as you might think. Just try playing Stratos the same way you do james, you would not last 1 minute verse a charnel player. The game needs to see the next generation of its style, And well thats the problem it never will. They made a great new design and dropped it before it truly reached its full potential. Can't invent the whell and then not put it on a wagon after all :smile:

Our Host!