Levels of detail in games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Quincy, Dec 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I'm sure anyone who plays games has encountered it. Your're immersed in the world of the game, having a great time and then-

You clip into a wall, float up a stair, try to use something that's just scenery. Your concentration is broken and you remember-it's just a game. Now I know that programmers and designers are working on tight budgets and timeframes, but that's no excuse for figures floating in midair on ledges. I'm not alone - this has increasingly been discussed by gamers and developers, and some are taking steps to remedy it. But it's not going fast enough. The floating in air - we still haven't figured out how to make people place thier feet right.

I want a game where my character at all times acts like a physical mass as does the rest of the world. I want to do small things like switch lights on and off and open cabinets that don't have anything in them. I want a WORLD, not a construct based solely around the plot requirements of the story.

If any of you want to scream about particular thing you want changed (or just want to scream) here's a place to do it.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I want (or need) much more sofisticated dialoge options in games I play, than there is to find today. The closest thing I've seen to the "perfect dialoge" is Arcanum's.
    But I need more and better options! I need a game based on wits and social skills, instead of action and flashes. That's what I need.
    But you are right, mid-air floating is something to work on first, before anything else. It just ruins the game you're playing.

3. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

/me screams: What. The hell. Are you talking about? I play CS.

4. Wolfsbane

You do? Oh my god...
    But then you should be aware of this fact more than anyone else. I've seen thousands of good slaughters get ruined by bad fysics or graphics.

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

That's complete bullshit. You probably haven't even played CS. At least not 1.6.

Only thing that could ruin a good slaughter is either lack of skill or lag.

6. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I would agree with Vyenna on this, fastpaced games don't need to worry about this much, though it would be cool. My complaints are levied at RPGs, stealth games, and shooters with role-playing elements. Fighting games would benefit as well.

7. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Myst makes a feeble attempt at incorporating a "real life scheme"...only problem is that it lacks action.

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

9. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Half life is a first player shooter, no matter how un-first player shooter it attempts to be. :thumbdown: ...I want a virulent form of Myst or a 3d Arcanum.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Um... combine the Half-life 2 engine with the engine for Arcanum.

11. Wolfsbane

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

No, bad wolf, bad wolf with homoerotic tendencies, bad.

13. Wolfsbane

I'm not Wolf, dammit! I'm WOLFSBANE. The bane of wolves, see?

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So you're rabies? That's usually what kills most wolves. Or you're a fat, middle-aged guy with a hunting rifle and an alcohol-abuse problem.

15. Wolfsbane

If I, again, told you I am a swede, then what would I be of those two?

The later, of course. But I'm sixteen.

16. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

And how about simple 3d Arcanum 2 with better dialogues ?

17. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

-Character creation AND development, not just stat building.
    -A sliding scale for skill checks not just...
    CHA < 10
    "I'm not going to tell you anything"
    CHA > 11
    "I'm going to tell you everything"

What I would like is where the higher your particular stat is the more/truthful info you would get, would this require a shit load of dialogue for every level of CHA, BEA, PER, and so on?... to be honest yes, and a pain in the arse to sort out and organise to boot I bet. but it is something that's always annoyed the shit out of me.

18. Notharah

Notharah New Member

I'm currently a member of a board which is completely about a 'Yet To Be Completed MMORPG'
    it's called 'Trials of Ascension' and it being made by the firm 'Shadow Pool' which funds the entire project themselves.

Therefor it might take years for the entire game to be completed... but I can say... it will be the biggest MMORPG ever!

The land mass on which players will be able to play will be about the size of... say... EUROPE!!!!! on which every detail is being added.
    Forests grow, animals go extinct... and eventually... the entire game shall be ran by the players who will actually have to try to be their characters in that world.

There's no such thing as stupid Quests for getting gold etc.... even more... there's probably no such thing as money when the game will start!

Everything on it will have to be done by the players... heck... what am I saying... just go to http://www.shadowpool.com/index.php and see for yourselves :D

19. Wolfsbane

20. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Could not agree more. Since i'm a longtime fallout fan I don't want more grapichs if it turns out that they draw attention away from a game. It is just like movies that relll to much on special effects they usually suck.

Oh and BF2 kills CS any day.

Our Host!