Learned Tech achievable in demo

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Oyarsa, May 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

This is a speculative list I am in the process of testing. Addenda will be posted as necessary.

Learned schematics that can be built in the demo:

Smithy:
    Pure Ore-Steel & Iron found around crash site & cave
    Balanced Sword-Hilt sold in Shrouded Hills, Pure Ore see above
    Dwarven Gauntlets-Gloves can be bought at start or in SH, Sheet Metal is sold in SH

Electric:
    Electric Light-Filament at crash site, Lantern in SH
    Charged Ring-Bought at start or SH, Capacitor found in Doc Robert's back room and sometimes the mine
    Shocking Staff-Staff can be bought at start or SH or use Virgil's, Large Capacitor bough in SH

Chemistry:
    Strong Poison-both in SH, try the Gnome's (Slim Pickens)
    Charges-both at crash site, enough for three applications
    Animal Scent-both at the Gnome's (if any perfume will do)

Mechanical:
    Spike Trap-both in crash site, enough for three traps
    Trap Springer-both in SH, try Riszette's
    Auto Skelton Key-Lockpicks in Toone mine (randomly generated, not guaranteed), Small Spring in SH (Riszette's)
    Eye Gear-Glasses in SH? (someone reported buying a pair and having trouble with them - unconfirmed), Watch Parts try Riszette's
    Bear Trap-Large Spring at the crash site and SH, Metal Clamp bought in SH

Therapeutics:
    Elixir of Persuasion-found in the crash site, mine and SH also bought in SH (Slim Pickens)
    Elixir of Physical Prowess-both bought in SH (Slim Pickens)
    Liquid of Awareness-both bought in SH
    Energizer-EoPP is above, Quinine is bought in SH

Gunsmithy:
    Crude Flintlock Pistol-both in crash site cave
    Fine Pistol-both ought in SH or occassionally found
    Hushed Pistol-Fine Pistol see above, Muffler bought from Riszette

Herbology:
    Healing Salve-both found at crash site and throughout the wilderness
    Accelerate Healing-Healing Salve is above or bought in SH, Coca leaf is found around SH or bought from Slim

Explosives:
    Molotov Cocktail-Fuel bought from Slim in SH, rag bought from Riszette
    Flash Grenade-Magnesium bought in SH or found?, Wine three bottles at crash site plus bought in SH
    Smoke Grenade-Fertilizer found in SH (where would you look for this?)or bought from Slim, Sugar Found or bought in SH from Slim
    Fire Obstruction-soap is bought from Slim and also found in a house in SH, Fuel is made using a purchased and buildable schematic at the Herbalist
    Explosive Grenade-both bought in SH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oyarsa on 2001-05-11 06:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oyarsa on 2001-05-11 11:44 ]</font>

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My Tech findings are close to yours, but I have some comments. I've also list 1/2 recipes, in the hopes that someone can verify having found the other half...

Smithy:
    In addition to what you pointed out, I have found these components:
    + Oak Axe Handle
    + Leather Straps
    + Leather Armour

Electric:
    I haven't found a large capacitor yet :sad:
    + Leather armour

Chemistry:
    I haven't found bromide, but I have located "morningstar perfume"; I suspect the cologne will not work. Don't forget to look in the herbalists shop behing the smithy...
    + I've made Corrosive acid from bought components
    + I've made hallucinite from bought components
    * If you have located bromide, we should be able to make the last recipe as well, since we can manufacture strong poison.

Mechanical:
    * The eye glasses work fine, as far as I can tell.
    + I've made a clockwork decoy from parts bought at Riszette's
    + Large gears are available
    - The lockpicks I found in the cave were "Crude Lockpicks" and did not satisfy the formula, which required "Lockpicks", so I haven't been able to make Auto-Lockpicks.

Theraputics:
    + I've batted the round, here: You can make 'em all. Between the gnome (Slim Pickens) and the Herbalist (West of the Smithy - wood shack) you can get everything.

Gunsmithy:
    - I think you mean "Fine Revolver", not "pistol" - there's a distinction since there's a "Fancy Pistol" component for something later on (which I haven't found)

Herbology:
    I've also made the following:
    + Fatigue Restorer: both coca and tobacco are found in various places or bought in town
    + Fatigue Limiter: find, buy or make fatigue restorer; witchbane found in Herbalists
    + Wonder Drug: make heal accelerator, and get poppy flowers from the herbalist
    + Cure-all: make wonder drug; buy Big Chief Snake Oil from Slim Pickens.

Explosives:
    - I haven't yet found magnesium or kerosene, so I haven't reproduced the flash grenade or fire obstruction.
    + Saltpeter is readily available, found or bought.
    * You can find dynamite, but I haven't found nitro to make it :sad:
    * Fertilizer can be bought or found near the sheep shed by the mine, to answer your question. Smoke bombs are good for profit-making, if you don't simply rob everyone blind to fund your science fair projects :smile:

Aside from those notes, I concur with our findings.

Now: Must... find... tesla... coil...

Jeff E

3. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Smithy:
    Wire, Dwarven Ore, and Dwarven Steel are not in the demo making the Ultralite Axe, and other items unobtainable.

Electric:
    Have yet to see a Top Hat, Tesla Coil, Small Electrical Parts, Electrical Coil, that funky harness, or Compass.

Chemistry:
    You bought mushrooms? Where, Slim's?

Mechanical:
    Cool about the decoy. No engine in demo for the arachnid. I'll have to correct the lockpick bit then.

Therapeutics:
    Thanks. I suspected such, but couldn't confirm.

Gunsmithy:
    Sorry. Fell prey to a typo on the T-A technology page. I've got a halfling toting a 'Fine Revolver(Pistol)' he built. Waiting to get the points to learn the Hushed Revolver schematic, since he's also got a muffler.

Herbology:
    Gotta find this Herbalist. See Therapeutics.

Explosives:
    I'm carrying magnesium, just couldn't remember if I found or bought it. Haven't seen Stearic Acid or Black Powder, let alone Nitro.

Thanks for the confirms/corrections.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oyarsa on 2001-05-10 10:02 ]</font>

4. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

The problem isn't with the eye gear, it is with the eye glasses, which is a component. If you put the glasses on it lowers your perception if it is over 7. The problem should go away if you take the glasses off, but it doesn't. You are stuck with -1 to perception. Also, the lockpicks found in the cave are crude and can't make the auto skeleton key.

5. Zewy

Zewy New Member

Doc Robert's in is back house there is magnesium too

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zewy on 2001-05-10 14:56 ]</font>

6. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Regular Lockpicks can be randomly generated in the Toone Mine. They occur (if they occur) in the crate in the room Bessie's spirit is in. Meaning it is 'possible' to create the auto Skeleton Key.

Now to edit the first post.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again!

So, to clear up the question of the Herbalist - you can't live without her!

I suspect that her stock may in some way be related to your level, but that's not confirmed. I was level 14 when I made the notes on which the following is based.

To reach the herbalist, follow the road that goes between Slim's and the Blacksmith. You'll pass a large white house, and then come upon a largish wood one. That is the herbalists. Unfortunately, there is a female villager nearby, so the missing graphics problem will make the trip a little slow :razz:

She regularly carries mushrooms, and I've seen Venom there as well, which has allowed me to manufacture the poison cure, completing the entire set of Herbalism schematics.

*Special Bulletin*

The herbalist also carries *Found Schematics*. Yessir, no bull, I've found four (or five) so far; I'm off to gain another dozen level to see if the list changes.

Predictably, they are Herablism and Chemistry related. They are:

Invigorator: Fatigue Restorer (40) & Heal Accel (70)
    Fortifier: Wine & Varham's Aqua Vitae (10)
    Miracle Cure: Wonder Drug (85) & Fortifier (55)
    Fuel*: Wine & Yeast
    Sleep Aid*: ??

* - She sells the "Sleep Aid" schematic, but when you drag it over your hand to learn it, it comes up as "Fuel". Humph. Subsequently buying and trying to learn Sleep Aid gives you the warning that you already know it. Oh well.

I have successfully manufactured all of these products.

As for magnesium: I don't recall finding it in the Doc's back room; perhaps there's some randomness to the barrel, although I found the small capacitor there every time.

Lockpicks: Too bad; I'll have to go back to an old save game I guess.

Large Capacitor: So where is this found or bought? If it's the mine, I guess I'm outta luck :sad:

In search of Bromide...

Jeff E

8. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Jeff,
    First, why don't you register? Think of all the perks you'll get. :wink:

The Large capacitor was seen only once by me and either Slim or Ristezze had it. As for the Magnesium, it has been present both times I looted the Doc's back room. If its random then I've gotten the same loot both times. Still have to get over to the Herbalist's. The missing villager slowdown kills my machine. Maybe an out-of-character 'removal' of the problem will help.

9. nollidj

nollidj New Member

I think you can get Magnesium in some of the barrels around the smithy...

10. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Ernest_Penfold over at the INN had a blackpowder sighting so the appropriate edit has taken place at the top.

11. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I've found Magnesium and I'm too scared of the Doc to loot his house. :smile:

12. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

13. Anolis

Anolis New Member

Heh, actually I've found that the only time the Doc does anything is if his "Pet Rat" squeeks. I've had it where I bash in the window and nothing happens until the rat tries to bite me over it, or when I step inside. Can't get out, but its squealing will alert the Doc who either goes 0 Hostile immediately or Suspicious once or twice. I ran once and the bugger went into hyperdrive squeek mode and the Doc kept coming out every 5 minutes, heh.

Anyway, I've learned a few cool, yet potentially unbalancing things. I can bash the window and the Doc doesn't hear, I can lure the Rat without it squeeking and nothing else changes, I can toss a HE Grenade at the window and blow up the other window and the rat right outside ol' Doc's house, and he never does anything. Kind of strange he hears the rat, but not the huge explosion.

Also, here's a tip for all you cool Necromancers cats and kittens out there. If you get Summon Undead it acts like a 'Neutral' Monster. It isn't even tied to you other than spell upkeep so what it does is neither linked to you or your Karma/Alignment. It also happens to want to kill anything, even another summoned Undead. Level 15 Bone-'something or other' I've forgotten that can't be used for a summonable XP source, but can be used to kill any NPC you want without repercussions. You can get into the bank easily with just one or two summons of the Undead critter, depending on whether the guard is dead from the Doc's quest or not. The Undead also appear to be unable to operate windows or doors to get through them, so if you happen to...find...an empty house nearby your crime scene you can either run into it or cast your spell from it and no one will be the wiser. Casting it right in their faces won't affect you other than probably making you a lot more likely to be on the menu.

---------------------------------------------
    - Anolis, "Anyway, fun stuff I must say for our magic using bretheren."

14. vigilante_357

vigilante_357 New Member

Hi, my first post over here! the magnesium you find in a dresser in the old panari temple. you can make all herbologist (is it spelled like that?) schematics and you can do all explosive schematics except TNT

15. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Ya know if you increase your haggle you can sell these things for incredible ammounts

I had my haggle to three, and was an apprentice in the shopkeeping. I was able to make 5000 AFTER buying all the stuff I needed or wanted and selling all the tech stuff i made

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

is it me or is the trap springer bugged?
    i can't make it even though i have learnt the schematic and have the items.. i just keep saying that i don't have the expertise.. wtf?

as for the eyeglasses.. i didn't even put them on, i just bought some and i lose pe pemanently.. if i transfer it to an npc he'll lose stat as well..

17. Calis

Calis Member

That would indicate a bug in the demo, yes. With schematics you buy with character points, you should automatically get the expertise required to build the item, so this is definitely a bug.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the trap springer expertise level might be a bug, but it's possible that it's not.

The numbers on the lower right hand of each ingredient picture are the expertise level you need to use that ingredient. The icon on the upper left indicates the discipline in which that level of expertise is required. There aren't any cross-discipline scematics in the demo, but I think there will be i nthe full game.

In any event, the expertise level for each tech discipline is the number to the right of the discipline name in your character sheet. Your expertise in increased when you spend a character point to move up a level in that discipline. (I think the full game is supposed to have manuals you can read to increase your expertise without moving up in the tech discipline.)

Anyway, the expertise required to make the trap springer is greater than the expertise you get by moving to the second level in Mechanics. It seems silly, since that's the way you get the trap springer schematic.

But if you go up to the third level in Machanics, the trap springer schematic ought to work.

Our Host!