Jarinor and Snowmane R.I.P.?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Muro, Jun 11, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

DOUBLE POSTING TO SHOW HOW IT WOULD LOOK

Xz, the bold black would look horrible on a maroon background. Just see for yourself.

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

What about giving the new members a light green color, you know they are coming here green as grass?

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well, that would only count for a few moments, since it's nothing unusual when there are several new members a day, and he would be green only in the "The newest registered user is" box and not in the "Registered Users:" box (without any tech work, I believe). Not to mention how the light green on maroon would make the whole "Who is online" panel look extremely color crazy compared to the rest of the boards.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

It already looks extremely colour crazy. There was probably a reason only white was used in the first place. Everything else looks BAD.

5. Xz

All users in white. Make the newest-user link non-bold. Make moderators in italic, and admins in bold. Problem solved. Now please bring back the original colours.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You seem to be the only one who's against the change.

Gold looks good enough, seems to be liked by everyone else. Silver is OK as well, it fits the theme anyhow. Unless we get more objections, the colors stay as is.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm not happy with the strict present settings. So for my vote, just to summarise and clearify, I support these three color settings, in pecking order:
    • Drog's primary changed colors
      member moderator administrator
    • Present settings with my suggestion of a silver member and a white moderator
    • Xz's latest suggestion

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BTW, italics are already used for hidden members (they're visible when you're logged in as admin).

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I personaly forgot about that one. But I don't think it makes any difference for the admins, and the whole colors are half for aesthetics, half for helping the users (mostly new ones) recognise who is who, while the admins know that already. Unless admins want to know who is hidden, that is.

10. Xz

How about giving the hidden users a different colour? Also if you think it's so important that admins should be visible, Drog, you really shouldn't hide your online status...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm usually invisible on all forums I frequent. But I guess I now have a good reason to make an exception.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't know about the colors to be honest. They definitely stand out, though in a slightly disturbing manner. Monkeypunch had a reason for not coloring admins and moderators it seems.

How does one change those friggin' colors anyhow? I've looked through the admin panel like crazy...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, the admin/mod colors normally use font color 2 and font color 3, which you can set in the admin panel. However, those colors are extensively used in the forum skin, so you don't have much freedom with them (I suspect that's why we had no admin/mod colors).

I'm inserting color hex codes into page_header.php directly. It's a common workaround for this problem.

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'd want to be a head in a jar, futurama-style.

15. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I've changed colors again! What a weekend !

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Don't change them again, keep the current "colors". It might be harder to distinguish who's admin and who's not; then again this setup simply looks best.

Yes, I'm a conservative asshole.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Just remember about this one:
    so the newest register member won't look like an admin.

18. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

On the other hand, you could give the new members another color, because it looks indeed the same.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

After what I've seen here, I don't think any colors other than white, white and of course white will be accepted.
    Removing the bold will make the newest user look like a standard user, which is moving along the line of least resistance.

20. Xz

Working on that, but I can't seem to find where that damn bold tag is set.

Edit, done. Knowing people in the phpBB team has it perks. Though I'm sure he was annoyed with me for asking. :p

Also he strongly warned us about phpBB2. Who's up to remaking the design for phpBB3?

Our Host!