Its almost pathetic enough to make me go open source

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Dec 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I read that article, and would also like to point out this one. :) Fuck firefox. :)

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Does this mean that the only safe way to browse now is to watch the code in Notepad?

3. DarkFool

naw, we gotta go even simpler than that. We need to view it matrix style, and watch the 1's and 0's. It's what I'm doing (actually, I use Sleipnir).

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    What is it with the Japanese and their fascination with out myths, and our fascination with their kanji, leading to people adorning their skin with a piece of calligraphy that probably translates to "shithouse"?

5. DarkFool

I know a guy who got the chinese character for "peace" tattooed on one wrist (the inside, just to make it better), and "war" in japanese on the other (same spot). It looks magnificently retarted on this 6ft+ white guy. ^__^

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Do you think it's trendy for Japanese kids to get words written in English tattooed on their bodies?

"Check it out Shinji, it means love and water!"

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I don't think that really matters...we dropped two bombs on those guys and they were damaging enough to paint permanent silhouettes on concrete structures of the people vaporized at ground zero.
    I'm certain someone at the center of Japan's government is pumping out all of these asinine ideas that the otaku just can't get enough of, laughing their ass off at how stupid they can make us look. They're getting us back, one pop-culture phenomenon at a time.

8. DarkFool

You know, I find Gross's idea horrificially accurate.

9. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Some years later, they probally found out that it really means" Kick me, I like that."

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Thanks to Silvio and a combined interest in ancestral myths and Japanese bullshit I had to install Sleipnir. It's in the habit of freezing every other time I log on to this place.

11. DarkFool

Weird. I have it running on both XP and Vista, and haven't had any issues on it that weren't my own fault. Are you trying to run IE at the same time, or did you do something to remove IE? (actually, you may've to upgrade to IE7, oddly enough).

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Already have IE7, and all I did was trying to log on to my TA account and then it froze. I fail to see how that could constitute a failure of my own.

I hear people say good things about Google Chrome though.

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I'm considering Chrome, once I get my PC back from repairs that is. Less tham 6 months of regular use and its crashed but at least its still under its 2 year waranty so its not costing me anything but lost time. Unfortunately only one guy is on the tech desk in the shop where I bought it for all of December becase the rest of them are on holidays so it'll be at least a fortnight until it reaches the top of his list.

14. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Thunderbird is like Microsoft Outlook Express, but it does not allow you to preview the message beforehand. The fatal flaw in Outlook is that when you click on the message, it automatically opens in the preview window, and any bugs can automatically invade the system (if programmed to do so).

Well, I've never done internet banking, but that's not the only thing Type-Read programs search for. They mostly look for passwords and usernames, and sometimes codes that people might keep on their computer for 'safekeeping'. A Type-Read hacker may even use your email account to send e-mails on your behalf.
    I only ever correspond with my bank in person, and keep my paper statements, but that's just me.

That's the beauty of Microsoft. They deliberately send out software with bugs in them so we buy the upgrades. The trouble is, they sometimes forget that some bugs in the system are harmful to users.

Actually, according to the education system in Japan, WWII never happened. It's true. My boyfriend had an exchanged student, and when she found out about WWII in his history class, she went balistic - she simply could not believe that her country (or the US, for that matter) could ever bring themselves to that sort of thing.

What other systems are there?

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You can tell Outlook Express not to do that.

16. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

17. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The whole WWII didn't happen issue is a political thing. Japanese people I know who went to school in the 90's know all about it but people younger than that have absolutely no idea they have also told me that 20th Century history isn't a subject of study that is really encouraged at all. I then recently talked to some Korean friends who told me that the conservative political parties in Japan removed the WWII syllabus and that a lot of Korean and Chinese people are angry about it because of what the Japanese did to them during the war. One Japanese girl I work with wasn't even aware that nuclear bombs had actually been used before, she thought that only happened in movies.

18. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Outlook Express: Click View Menu > Layout and remove the checkmark beside Show Preview Pane.
    Outlook 2000/XP: Click View Menu > Preview Pane.
    Outlook 2003: Click View Menu > Reading Pane > Off.
    Netscape: Click View Menu > Show/Hide > Message Pane.

Also: http://www.thc-technology.com/virus/securing_outlook_express.html

EDIT: If you want to leave the preview pane there, then go to the 'read' tab under options. Uncheck the 'Automatically download message when viewing in the Preview Pane." box.

19. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

There's saying what's actually happening in the world after WW2 and then there's letting me form a completely bogus conspiracy theory that Japan is systematically turning our children into creepy anime iconoclasts and covering our dim in calligraphy tattoos that translate to "truth" and "tranquility" as a secret revenge tactic that damages not our population (and not even our technology), but our ability to be respected as an independent culture, to get us back from Fat Man and Little Boy.
    The true story sounds funny, though. 21st century Japanese students won't learn about the 20th century until they leave Japan. However, the Japanese are still so wary of other cultures that most of the population will stay in the homeland, preventing all of the new generation from knowing the truth.
    Then again, this could be a positive turn. While the second world war was a defining time for everyone involved, it doesn't really have any positive and conducive influences for the children of Japan. However, me personally?
    I can't imagine a world without Call of Duty.

Our Host!