Is Arcanum just a pale copy of Baldurs Gate II????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rat_comegetsome, Oct 1, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Did i say that?.. Hmm, Im tired...what i meant is it lasts half a minute and there is no epic battles like in fallout where you could actually make a difference with your moves.

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

It seems that you did. Better get some sleep.

3. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

hmmm

Arcanum has much more replay value considering how character creation is much more flexible and story much more open-ended.

4. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

hmmm

Realtime combat is actually balanced, but too fast for control. The game itself is balanced, only the turn-based combat isn't. :sad:

5. Deathlock

Deathlock New Member

Well I've played both games and thoroughly enjoyed the pair of them. I would recommend both of them to any RPG fan. My only gripe with Arcanum is that its too easy to power up your character to the point where he's far too strong for the challenges that he faces, even when playing solo.

I've tried running a character that ignored all the side quests and I still managed to reach 49th level at the final battle and I still kicked the big villain's ass without breakin into a sweat. I'm amazed to read the messages on this board about cheat codes and cracks to get round the level cap. How much OVERKILL do you need guys?

6. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

hmmmmm.

Well deathlock, you are very wrong if you think doing sidequest is for Xp. For me, it has always been a way to explore the Arcanum world. That's what is important to me. That's why I read the tale 'An unfortunate affair' at Arcanum website and why I read the newspapers at Tarant and why I go wandering around all the less important cities listening to quests but not doing half of them. If you think you level up too fast, be sure to change the difficulty setting in options (press o). There are ways to fix problems and moaning is not one of them.

7. Deathlock

Deathlock New Member

Hey get off your high horse! I loved this game and I loved the side quests. I only ran through it once without them try and make it more challenging becase changing the difficulty level DIDN'T help. The story line in Arcanum is great but the difficulty level is a bit low for my tastes.

8. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

shamed

I'm sorry deathlock. :sad:
    I'm ashamed of myself. I always lose control of myself at bad times. :sad:
    Please, forgive me! And tell me why changing difficulty did not work? It said it changes Xp advance rate in the game and manual and everything. hmmm, i'm a dunbass. :p

9. Deathlock

Deathlock New Member

No problem mate :smile:

I don't know why the difficultly level setting was so ineffective, however I was playing a low charisma character so my party was small and I accumulated XPs pretty quickly regardless. It may be worth running a few experiments using an identical character & party at the various difficulty levels just to see how much difference it makes.

10. The Roshambo Warrior

The Roshambo Warrior New Member

Random:
    Also, dialog is affected by much more. Tech/Magick influence and race also play a good deal.

There's some quests that can really open up or change when using a specific tech bias or even race.

Our Host!