I would like your guys's opinon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YeaYea2001, Feb 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

She's great, as (nearly :wink: ) always. Thanks for asking, Jar.

About a week ago, we finally got her set up with her own comp. It's there right next to mine, and it's becoming increasingly familiar for us to be sitting there side-by-side, ignoing one another in favour of our latest game :grin:

Last night, I finally convinced Lysa to try the Sims. She then spend 4 hours straight trying to get her girl to make friends without losing her job.

We have put our comps through a hub, so we can play network UT against each other, which is turning out to be fun. I think we'll put our housemate on it too, when he's back from RSA, and have some cool three-way games.

The only thing left to complete our network is new ADSL. My previous provider wouldn't give us static IP;s (an absolute must for Diablo II from a network) and were pretty shit anyway, so I deceided to switch. My new one comes online on Friday this week, hopefully.

At that point I start wrestling with a router to get us set up on a shared connection without opening our comps up as some little prick's MP3 storage area. I've never used a router before, so it'll be new stuff for me. Looks simple enough ... which is why I don't trust it!

[EDIT] She did NOT lock him ... er ... ME in a basement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-12 00:12 ]</font>

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hub or switch good. Router bad! Very hard to set-up Fatman - go with a hub or switch. I recommend a switch if they are similarly priced, but all you really need is a hub.

Retard, Wayne gave a version of that statement to Garth in the classic "Wayne's World" - something like "If you blow chunks and she runs for the mountains, it was never meant to be. If she stays, she's yours." You also sound like a lucky bugger retard - a wife who actually understands a guy's compulsion to look at other women instinctively!

That's all I have to say at the moment.

3. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Don't get me wrong. It hurts her feelings sometimes, but I just play it up. As long as I try my hardest to show her she is the only woman that I want, need, have to have, she knows I'm gonna have wandering eyes from time to time.

Wow, that was a lot of talk without saying much. Let me put it another way.

She doesn't like it, (she slaps the dog shit outta me if a leggy blonde walks by or something and I glance,) but she understands and she is comfortable in our relationship.

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Well I will just ignore this thread from now on.

5. Sheriff Fatman

Don't make me come over there. I already bought a £150 router!

Retard, you should try Milo's patented appoach when your wife catches you looking at other women: simply say "I'm a dirty bastard."

6. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Ok ok ok so maybe the not look at annother woman part is an exaduration, even if I cant spell it.

And yes Emily DOES mean more to me than my life. None of you understand, she saved my damn life.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oh no, we understand perfectly. You were feeling a little depressed someday because kids were picking on you in school, you didn't have a girlfriend and were a dumb bastard.

Then one day, you met Emily on your way to the bridge you were going to jump off, started stalking her, and to get you off her back, she consented to become your girlfriend. So far she's been humouring you, but that's going to end pretty soon when the resident mega-jock of her school asks her out or something like that. She figures "What the dumbass doesn't know won't hurt him". She really enjoys the jock's company, then decides to break it off with you, with no warning. You get all heartbroken etc etc etc, then go slightly insane, and move back to where she is so you can start stalking her. Seeing her with the jock sends you off not only on a new wave of sadness, but also of rage. You charge them with the only knife you could sneak past customs, and somehow manage to kill both of them. When it's all over, you realise what you've done and commit suicide.

Happy hunting!

8. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Jar, your crossing the line. None of that shit is true and you know it. Heres a lesson for life, mind your toung and what comes off it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: YeaYea2001 on 2002-02-12 10:20 ]</font>

9. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

This is exactly why teenagers don't deserve the rights of an adult. You have no idea how stupid this sounds to anyone that's not a teenager.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

First of all, no line was drawn. Therefore I cannot cross it. Secondaly, what the fuck gives you the right to give me a lesson for life? Your younger than me for fucks sake, and haven't seen even half of what I've seen. Mind your own tongue.

Yes, I've been harsh, but only because I've been trying to make you see something - S_P said it perfectly - what you say makes you sound like an idiot to everyone who's not a teenager.

I now have no choice but to unleash the yethhounds on Emily.

Oh, and here are some lyrics from a song that you might find relevant - "Here comes love|It's like honey|You can buy|It with money."

Second edit: YeaYea, your real name wouldn't happen to be James would it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarinor on 2002-02-13 10:18 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarinor on 2002-02-13 10:42 ]</font>

11. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

I dont care if it sounds ridiculous to anyone that isnt a teenager. I love this girl and she loves me, thats all I know. And I dont give a rat's ass if your immortal Jari, wisdom is earned, not given. Just because your older than me, doesnt mean that you are more educated in ways of life. How old are you, 22? 23? And I will NOT mind my own toung, that is a bad habbit of mine but I consider it usefull in certain situations. And no my IRL name isnt James.

12. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

And I would also like to bring this up, here again, we see a case of someone older, assuming that they are smarter just for the sheer reason that they are older. I assume it comes with age, the impulse that you are smarter than someone who is half your age. While granted a 20 year old is smarter than a 2 year old, it dosent mean the 2 year old is stupid, by 2 year old intelegence standards, the kid could be a genius, even if I cant spell it.

Males over the age of 25 are responsible for 87% of all crimes in the world. Im not saying that all "adults" are stupider than they look, many are, but thats not my point. Granted someone who has been around for 40 years has a little more expierience in life than a 14 yr old. But that does not mean that that teenager is stupid. Older people use thier own intelegence level and life expierence as a gauge, im not saying all older people do, but many do, if they look at a person and that person hasnt been around as long as they have or doesnt look as smart as they do, that person automatically is stamped stupid by the first person. You all know what im talking about "I can do it, why cant you??". I had a math teacher once, she had more degrees in math than I had hot dinners. And she just, automatically assumed, that because she could calculate a problem as long as my leg in less time than it takes me to start up the computer, so could we. She was frustrated when the news flash came, we couldnt do what she was showing us. She is now a guest of the sanitarium, but thats annother story.

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

There's only three things I'd really like to say...

TONGUE... IT HAS AN 'E'.... DAMNIT!!! THE 'E' DON'T FORGET THE 'E'. GIVE TONGUE AN 'E'!!

Exageration or Exaggeration.... Not quite sure myself...

The third thing... Don't worry YeaYea, go through this life experience and learn what you can from it. If it all works out and Emily is there forever and a day, then good-o. If it fails? Then either way, life goes on... Unless you do yourself in... I've had one old friend do that... Another one died from a freaky accident walking the dog (she tripped on the leash, fell and hit her head in the right.. Or rather.. Wrong spot.) And another one decided to stay up all night at a friends place and drive himself home the next morning...... I really recommend people get SLEEP before they drive.

14. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

YeaYea, I'd like to know where you get your stats. Please don't start making things up, because people here check that kind of stuff.
    Can we agree on this: most people twice your age are smarter than you? Use any measurement you want -- life experience, trivia, combat experience, romantic experiences, whatever.
    I'm not denying the reality of your feelings and experiences, I'm just saying that I've been through all that. I am more than twice your age, and, yes, I am smarter than you. Every thing you're saying, I have said before, in one form or another. Everything you're thinking I have thought before (except for that thing about your Aunt Janice, that's just sick). Your experience is not unique, although you think it is.
    You asked for our opinions, and we've given them. You refuse to accept them as valid, and I, for one, feel like an idiot for thinking that they might make any difference to you. I should've known better. When I was your age, I knew everything, too.
    I'll bet most of the respondents to your post feel the same way. Guys, what we're we thinking?

15. Ioo

Ioo New Member

You're unique, just like everyone else.

16. Sheriff Fatman

Feldon's post pretty much says how I feel, Yeayea. You have made me feel that it was wrong to take you seriously in the first place. You have put forward no rational discussion (based upon logical arguments and evidence), you have made many emotive and prejudiced claims, and have not tried at all to reach a common understanding.

In retrospect it feels as though you have been doing the equivalent of stamping your foot and insisting that noone else could possibly understand the profundity of your life. The irony of this kills me. I still believe, as I always have, that there are as great a proportion of teenagers with worthwhile comments to make as there are every other demographic, but people like you are doing your best to convince me otherwise.

You are obvious fairly intelligent, in that you are able to articulate the concepts under discussion. However, it is not supported by insight or tempered with objectivity, making most of what you say into nonsense. Sorry to be so harsh.

As Milo would say: Yes. Yes they will.

Check out this UK Government Statistics dataset

Bearing in mind its weaknesses:
    • It is for the UK, not the world
    • It shows percentage of each age group (by gender) who become offenders, rather than percentage total number of offenders by age group
    • It is only for the years 1997-1998

I believe it pretty much shows conclusively that men between the ages of 13 and 28 are the most likely people to become offenders, peaking at around the age of 18 yrs old.

Given that this could be reasonably be put into plain English as:
    • Someone of Yeayea's age is about twice as likely to commit a crime in my neighbourhood than someone my own age.
    • If a guy commits a crime against me, people of Yeayea's age are 7th most probable to be the culprits.
    • If girl commits a crime against me, people of Yeayea's age are the MOST likely to be responsible

Now, not only do I have to suffer the risk of crime from people these ages, by Yeayea is to spontaneously point a finger at my age group and claim that we are responsible for most of the crime.

Maybe later I'll look for some stats for failed romances, unwanted pregancies, social welfare claimants or something, since we're into casting aspersions rather than talking about our views on Yeayea's school project.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've already stated that I'm 18. It's no big secret, in fact it's in this thread!!! Yes, because I am older than you, I am more educated in the ways of life. A person who goes through an experience and doesn't take something out of it isn't going to survive very long. I've seen things that you most likely haven't YeaYea - I've lived in the Middle East for several years, and you would not believe how poor those people are. Things you and I take for granted (or at least, which I used to take for granted), these people consider a luxury. You're not even guaranteed fresh water in taps there - I lived for more than a year in a house with only saltwater taps. Showering, cleaning dishes and brushing my teeth in saltwater was my only option. There were two fresh water taps in the house, both of them cold, and the pipes which brought the water in were rusty. Yellow water is not a good sign.

After that, I went to boarding school for four years. That wasn't exactly fun and games either. Boarding school is a great place to learn the secrets of self-preservation.

What the hell are you on about? How does telling someone older than you what they should and should not, or can and can not, do benefit you? They'll kick the shit out of you! I know that if you'd said that to me in person, I would have beaten the hell out of you. That's like walking up to a boxer and saying "You can't fight for shit man. You suck. Here's a lesson for life - learn how to punch."

One day, you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong person, and something bad will happen to you. If I hear about it, I will laugh my ass off, even if that person has killed you. You'll have got what's coming to you.

18. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

You cant drink saltwater strictly. If you drank, NOTHING but saltwater, you would go insane, I would say that thats already happend.

And I know I may come off as a know it all, and to a certain extent, thats how I see myself. And I do not make predjudice statements, if I say something like this type of person does this alot, I add, but not all to it. And no I dont speak for everyboddy or out of research, I speak from expierence, most of the time. And Jari, I acknowleage that you being 18 makes you a little more expierenced in life than me, but that doesnt mean that a person who is older than someone else is smarter. I say that some, SOME, people that are older, think that people younger than them are stupid. Granted that sometimes they are right, but it isnt fair to assume that because, a particular person younger than you is stupid, EVERYONE younger than you is stupid. We have a Sherrif at our school during school hours. Not a mall rent-a-cop, but a lead packing, hand-cuff carrying cop. The man is a nazi, he talks to every teenager like we are 2 year olds. You can hear it when he talks, he talks slower to us than to adults. I am not, NOT, saying that EVERY "adult" does that, Im saying alot do and it has an effect on those who dont have that mentality. Its kind of like lemmings, one sees annother jump off a cliff and the first one ignores it because its just one. But if, 50 of them jump, then jumping must be right if that many are jumping. If someone who doesnt think teenagers are stupid sees and hears the opposite from a group of idiots, they tend to accept it as the truth. Again, im not claming that that is what happens all the time and that there are some truly fair people who treats eveyone like equals, regardless of age. And it also tends to be a single incident that screws everything up. Take Coulmbine, after that happend there were portable metal detectors outside ever entrance and exit at our school for a month. People in administration think that "Gee, that kid did it, so the kids at MY school might do it" and to a certain extent they are right, it could happen. But the chances are astronomical. A kid at my Jr High was found with a hitlist in his backpack and he was expelled, even though his parents, the kid himself and several other people testified that it wasnt serious. I can kinda see the adminstration's point, but because one jerkwad 3000 miles away goes bannanas doesnt mean that we are. The principal of our school, hardcore anti-rap. And because one of the kids involved with Columbine listend to rap music. A light went off in her head that because rap music is popular on campus, it MUST be the music, as a result, rap music is banned at Canyon High School.

Yeah yeah I know I use alot of examples from my life. But thats how I know most of what I do, from my own personal expierence.

19. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Read his post again.... I can't see him saying ANYTHING about drinking saltwater. Washing in it and brushing his teeth with it.. Yes... But not drinking it... I believe he mentions fresh water afterwards??

Judging by your lack of proper spelling, I'd say we're right this time around.... Although you do have a point. I've been a good speller all my life... Even when I was your age I was able to spell words such as 'tongue' correctly. So yes, some young people are smarter than others. You unfortunately, appear not to fit into this category.

Lemmings don't jump off cliffs. Yes, we're the kind of insane people that look that s**t up.

http://whyfiles.org/129sci_fable/2.html

I don't think you're stupid because of high school massacres, school cops or because of anyone else here. I think you're stupid because of what you say, here in these forums. As well as your lack of proper spelling. To me, as an 'educated' in-duh-vidual, these are telling signs of an immature person.

Likewise... We use our own life experiences to know most of what we know. I don't mean to be nasty to you or upset you or hurt you in any way. All I think we're saying here is, you're not as smart as you think you are. Hell, neither are we. But what we're trying to say is that most of what you've thought of, are thinking or are doing right now.... We've done most of it all before.... Back when we were your age.

20. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Dark, I got a hundred bucks that says you are (A)A teacher now, or (B)Will be a teacher soon (C)Or are planning on being a teacher. Point 1, I couldnt care less how something is spelled, as my old man used to say, "the truly smart man is concerned with ideas, not spelling". I dont CARE if I spell it right, as long as I get my point across. Point 2, the lemming thing, have you never heard that expression?? That basically means a person or group thereof who does something and everyone else around them does that because the first group did it and so on and so forth. Point 3, I dont CARE how good a speller you were, in the long run, spelling doesnt make one fucking bit of difference. Plus I went to school today, school is not a bed of roses as some of you know. My brain feels like its oozing out my ears and Im just getting over being sick. And annother thing, its not good to nit-pick. My friend's cousin did that to her 14 year old daughter CONSTANTLY, one day last year, her daughter blew up in my friend's cousin's face and kicked the crap out of her. Its like....someone dripping acid on your neck, but you arent alowed to wipe or wash it off. Or like a loud sound that you cant get rid of. It grates at your nerves.

Our Host!