help on tech mage

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by the_game_addict, Jul 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. the_game_addict

the_game_addict New Member

2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

A tech mage? Well I guess just be sure to keep it balanced. If you lean to far towards magic or tech, the other won't work for you very well.

3. the_game_addict

i know but what should i choose i was thinking melee, conveyance,electric tech,white necro,mechanics,smithy,and temporal

4. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

If your goin melee then you should definitly get at least 2 ranks in elec. for the charged rings. As for mechanics and smithy, they are most useful if you master both so you can get the automaton. Conveyance is a must have if for nothing else then for Teleportation. Makes traveling MUCH easier.

5. the_game_addict

thats what i was thinking except i would master elec for tesla rod

6. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

now your talking about a full techy with some spells! you can't have a 0/0 setting for MA/TA to use items effectively. Like the charged rings only give you +2 dex when your TA is above 13! Now you wanna use spells that need MA ratings BUT you're a techy. Spells have a better chance of failure.

To understand the relationship between MA/TA you should read the manual. If you don't have yours then this site has one you can download! You can see its a catch 22 situation.

All my characters no matter which way they go spend 2 points in elec, JUST for the charged rings that my techy characters use. No sense using rings on a mage that WON'T get any effect. I use the rings early on but when the TA reverses to MA then I use the magic rings. (after I spent some points in DEX to 16. Then use agility of fire for the +4 DEX to get me to 20.

You need 12 INT to have 3 holding spells, and you need 12 CON to be able to keep them spells without running out of blue stuff.

So all-in-all its tough to be a techy mage and get full effect from either!

Parmanian

7. the_game_addict

now that i think about it maybe i'll just stick to mages.thieves,fighters,techies,and dimplomat's instead of mixing things up

8. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

A lot of folks have their MAJOR path with some helpful minor areas. All of my characters have 20 CHA (large parties) 5 pickpocket/picklock/persuation dex 20 with AoF spell. INT 12 CON 12 Str is not really a big thing because I don't fight and I have mules. No points in combat. a couple of tech skills and a few spotted spells.

The only thing I fool around with is races and backgrounds and see how they all interact together.

Just start a character and if you don't like the way its going, start another, the choices are endless and no two games will ever be the same!

Parmanian

9. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yes, and also you might read the thread about favorite characters to get some ideas.

10. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I think the trouble with favorite characters is that somebody elses character won't work for you the way you are playing. If you force yourself to play one way, you won't play very long.

Come up with something of your choosing would work out a lot better. Trouble is some people can't picture how a certain character would work. My guys for the first 15 levels are all the same for cps spent, but with different race/backgrounds, you arrive always in a different way.

Parmanian

11. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

You are right, but he could look to see if he DOES see anything that fits him. Just to get some idea.

12. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I never implied not to look because we can get ideas from a lot of different spots and use variations of them. Thats where the imagination comes in and a lot of people don't want to take the time.

Parmanian

13. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yeah, it is really sad when you meet a person lacking an imagination :cry: . Life must be so boring for them.

14. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I see you and zento have NO loss of imagination!

I've never seen anyone that tries to outdo somebody else with so much needless information!

Parmanian

15. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Lol, I am just trying to get him to see the light. Unfortunately, his imagination takes him down some disturbing paths which hearing about are gonna give me nightmares for weeks.

16. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

since hes not responding, maybe he found a good one to play, or he doesn't want to listen to our blabbing!

Parmanian

17. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Aww, we're not babblin. Now xento, he's babblin. And unfortunately it is in my nature to get the last word. I am tryin to quit respondin to him though. I'm havin a hard time :cry:

18. gargob

gargob New Member

I thought the point in Arcanum was the war between tech and magick. :cry:

19. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

Our Host!