Harry Potter and the Second Coming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canis, Jul 23, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Today I had the misfortune of seeing the first picture of Gary Oldman in costume as Sirius Black for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I have to say that I was skeptical about this casting decision when it was announced, and this photo does nothing to soothe my worries. Well, have a look:

[​IMG]

Dunno who those girls are, but the redhead is Rupert Grint (looking more like Ginny Weasly than Ron), the handsome devil in the back is Alan Rickman (*swoon!*), and on the right is Gary Oldman doing his best "Tommy Chong as Jesus" impression. (An alternate title for this thread could be, "Harry Potter: Up In Smoke".)

Gads! One, WHAT is with that hair. It's supposed to be black and waist-length and greasy. Fine, they didn't want to do the waist-length part because it would make him look too much like my Aunt Helen, fine, but why can't it even be black? Why does it have to be all... well I don't know what the hell that is. Brown? And wavy? He looks EXACTLY like that homeless man who ran straight at me one night recently, screaming incomprehensibly, until he got a look at my dog (and my dog's teeth) and decided he'd be safer running in the opposite direction through traffic.... But I digress.

(Speaking of hair, have a look at Alan Rickman's gorgeous locks! Oh, right, digressing again.)

Two, WHAT is with those tattoos?! Since WHEN does Sirius Black have tattoos all over his chest?! I am outraged, I tell you! That top one looks like the Quake logo, and the one right below it looks like the Viking rune "Ansuz", which in divination represents an intelligent person full of energy. Well I suppose it could describe Sirius, but what the hell is it doing on his chest?!

Did I mention he looks exactly like Tommy Chong?

*sigh* My disgust has exhausted me.

2. xento

xento New Member

This is turning into Harry Pothead: The Second Cumming, methinks.

Those tats under the quake one looks like Elven symbols, if you look in the Appendix's in the back of LotR: RotK.

As for the rest, I believe it's pure stupidity to switch actors for parts, unless you can't tell the difference AT ALL, and Harry's actor has been switched. I feel that the Harry Potter is going to go to pot, except for with the hardcore fans.

And I thought the first one was kinda cool....

3. Canis

Canis New Member

As far as I know the only character they've switched actors on so far is Dumbledore, and that's only because Richard Harris died. Daniel Radcliffe is still Harry in Prisoner of Azkaban, and from what I hear they're probably going to keep all the kids the same for Goblet of Fire as well.

I read an interview with Richard Griffifths (who plays Uncle Vernon and also did a wonderful job getting beheaded in Sleepy Hollow) and Whatshisnose who plays Dudley, and they said they've all got an option in their contract to continue in the fourth movie if it gets made. So it's probably up to the kids whether they want to stick with it.

But that's in the future. For the time being though, WILL YOU HAVE A LOOK AT GARY OLDMAN?! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ME IT WAS A PRACTICAL JOKE!!!

4. Milo

Milo New Member

I never read any of the Harry Potter books, or been very interested in the movies, but Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman are two of my favorite Bad Guys. If they're bad guys in this movie, maybe I'll check it out.

PS - that crippled girl is really hot.

EDIT - PPS, and by "crippled girl," I mean the one with arm braces, not the one who is cripplingly ugly.

EDIT EDIT - PPPS, and by "cripplingly ugly," I mean the girl in the white sweater, not the redhead of ambiguous sex. That one is kinda cute, if in fact it is a girl. If not, then nevermind.

EDIT EDIT EDIT - PPPPS, I'm not gay.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT - PPPPPS, not that there's anything wrong with that.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well Alan Rickman doesn't really play the bad guy. But he really isn't a nice guy either. As much sense as that makes. Here let me explain that further. He is a pain in the butt for Harry because he thinks he's spoiled (sorta the reason, you'd have to read the books to get a better explanation) but he also helps them against the real bad guys occasionaly.

PS That girl with the arm braces reminds me of a friend of mine. Well when she was a couple of years younger.

6. xento

xento New Member

I don't know the actors by name, but I think that Alan guy is the teacher of Alchemics, but likes Dark Necromancy, no? He's kind of a creep, but is with the school in the long run.

I had heard that Harry Potter's actor was going to be replaced because the boy was growing too fast. I think Ferret said that, but he may have been pulling my leg, like he did with him comment about them cutting Gimli from the LotR movie in the Two Towers by having him shot, because the actor didn't want to continue.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

You're blaming ME now? I've said nothing of the sort about LotR, OR Harry Potter. I heard that about LotR, but I think that was Jarinor just being mean to you again (might not have even been Jarinor though).

It's the first I've heard of the HP thing though. I knew Dumbledore had to be replaced because of the untimely death, but that's it. Actually, I think they were going to have some issues with Rupert Gint, because he's a short ass and Ron Weasley is supposed to be six foot something. However, I think they just decided to give him platform shoes....

If you're going to blame someone then at least make sure they can't reply first. :???:

8. xento

xento New Member

No, I'm pretty sure it was you. It was probably 6 months ago or so... maybe only 4 or 3, but I'm pretty sure it was you pulling my leg...

If I am wrong, I'm sorry. I'm not accusing you, just suggesting that maybe it was you who said it.

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

That says it all. Please pay attention. :/

10. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

So...

What's the big deal, Harry Potter is, was, and will forever be crap. It's fantasy for people who don't like to read real fantasy. The movies have good special effects, but so does every new movie. It's a little depressing to see Gary Oldman reduced to that level though...

11. xento

xento New Member

I saw it. I was just commenting on how I thought that you had said something. Sorry.

12. Canis

Canis New Member

Re: So...

Well clearly if you already think Harry Potter is crap (care to explain why it's crap, btw? Or are you just being a dickhead again?) you're not going to get all riled up about some Warner Bros. hairdresser screwing up one of the main characters. Way to contribute to the conversation.

Are you equally outraged about Alan Rickman's association with the franchise, or is he just another purveyor of crap as far as you're concerned.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I have read the Harry Potter books except for the newest one because I am readin somethin else right now, and I very much enjoy them. What do you consider REAL fantasy? I have also read Lotr, Wheel of Time (still workin on those), etc. I believe it is just a matter of tastes. There is no reason to call them crap. If you don't like them that's fine, but that doesn't make them crap.

14. gargob

gargob New Member

By real fantasy do you mean books based on history that are altered a bit (like adding magic) but the outcome is nearly the same.

If it's not that. What do you mean I thought fantasy and realility are antonyms so if it's fantasy it can't be real and vice versa? :-o

15. Settler

Settler Member

As a sci-fi, and occasional fantasy reader, I can safely say that the Harry Potter books are of a much higher standard than the drivel that makes up 95% of fantasy writing. Believe me, I've wanted to hate Harry Potter - but they're good books in my opinion, and that can't be changed.

16. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Potter Pumper

Yes, I'm being a dickhead. BUT... Maybe I haven't really given it a chance, but I read about fifty pages of one of those books before I put it down completely unsatisfied. I prefer to be able to identify with the characters in the books I read. It seemed to me that it was Neil Gaiman's "The Books of Magic" mixed with a little Terry Pratchett, and given a glossy sheen of advertising, thus making comparable to niether of the former's glory. It just seems that when compared to Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion", Terry Brooks' "Shannara", Mervyn Peak's Gormenghast, and a number of other wonderful fantasy novels, Harry Potter falls short in every department. It's good to see what they've done with LOTR, but I think there are fantasy series out there much more deserving of movie adaption than Harry Potter. Alan Rickman sounds familiar, but off the top of my head I can't place him in anything I know.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

Re: Potter Pumper

HEATHEN!!! :smites:

He was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. "That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!" Alexander Dane/Dr. Lazarus in Galaxy Quest. Metatron in Dogma. (Crappy movie made bearable by Alan Rickman, who had the best lines, the best clothes, the best hair, the best hands....) Hans Gruber in Die Hard. Eamon de Valera in Michael Collins. Surely you must have seen one of those. Or at least have heard of the fame of his wonderful hair!

18. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Hey, be nice...

Ok, now I remember him. The only Robin Hood Movie I ever really enjoyed was Men in Tights. He was great in Dogma, which I thought was a mostly clever movie. (Except Alanis as God. Fuckin right...) Die Hard is pure ambrosia to anyone with a set of minerals, and he helped make it so. See, I like him, just not as much as you evidently...

I've been smote before, now I'm smitten.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

He was also in Quigley Down Under. Can't remember his name in it though. He is a very talented actor. He 'bout stole the show in the first Harry Potter movie. Wasn't in the second one as much. BTW, cool avatar Canis.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, Alan Rickman is one of my favourite actors, and not because of the hair. He's just a great actor, he can play the villain or the good guy. I think it's his voice, and way of speaking that does it for me though.

Our Host!