Hardest questions about arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by blazer2002, Sep 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

That's when you need to do an bit of thinking about how to NOT run out of ammo.

Oh but the firepower is unmatched, especially in real time combat. Most beasts don't even get lucky enough to come any close.
    1500 is a BIG understatement, especially if your followers are trained to Apprentice status. Last time I entered the Void I had 6000 ammo for my only mech gun, and can't say I had much left when I was finished. Which is why this time I'm planning to take some less ammo confusing guns for backup- Droch's warbringers and probably Bronwyck's gun. Fire damage is better than normal most of the time.

Another reason to dislike the Arcane bow. No TH bonus. Ellumun's bow also doesn't have it, but at least its neutral.

4000 arrows sounds about right. Give Raven and Waromon 1000 arrows each, and they will most likely never run out of ammo. Leave yourself 2000, just in case. 4000 arrows aren't that difficult to accumulate, with Arcanum shopkeepers selling about 300 per day.

Damage 1-10. Sucks. The spells are fairly useless, Air elementals aren't that much help in combat, they're too dumb and underpowered for the late game battles. Now Fawn's bow, with two Resurrection spells in one nice package, may indeed come in handy sometimes.

Screaming Scimitar is nice, I usually steal it as a backup for emergencies, or to give it to Dante if I'm tech. Other magick traders also carry some useful stuff quite often, though nothing truly powerful.

2. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Is there any way to regain mana for weapons like the Screaming Scmiter?

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Does anybody else find it a little odd that about 90% of the more unique magic items (not just charmed or magick or arcane or whatnot) are cursed? They make you evil or slow or stupid or tired or sick or... Kinda sucks. I far prefer unique magic items in fantasy settings -- my main beef with Diablo and Divine Divinity -- and yet I usually finished the game having kept about two of them. Usually Staff of Xoranth, though I never actually use it, and Ellumyn's Bow. OK, and maybe one of the helms you find in the Ancient Maze. Nature's Wrath, I think. Most of the rest are cursed...

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah ,if you see an ordinary looking item that is not ordianarily magick , there's a good chance it is cursed.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No. Only the weapons that add you mana to spend as you wish, like the Mage staff, can be replenished over time. Items charged with ready spells are non-rechargeable- except the Stillwater blade that has unlimited number of spells. Any time you see a ++ instead of the number of spells, it means that the number is unlimited.

Sounds fine to me. It is far more interesting when you're forced to balance between flaws and benefits than when you get an Ultimate Sword of Destruction, and the game becomes a walk in the park.
    Nature's Wrath is also cursed, it can randomly cast Entangle on you I think. But it rules anyway. I do like the balance they made for unique items: huge damage vs. extremely slow speed, high resistances vs. lowered fatigue, random combat spells cast against enemies vs. alarming decrease of alignment. Closer to real life- either settle for the second best- or pay the price.

6. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

No, what I mean is that I find like a shitload of +3 Robes of Boredom, plenty of Robes of Eat the Wearer's Soul but almost no Robes of Cool Special Power of Love, Kindness, and Badassery. Djano?

EDIT: I'm not looking for an absolute power magic item, just a unique item of interest. One worth keeping. Immense damage and slow speed EQUALS normal damage and normal speed. There's nothing special about it. Cool bonus and -50 alignment just means I throw it away. Something like one of the old D&D classic items. Stillwater blade cuts the mustard, but it's not UNIQUE.

Also, there is one other problem with carrying a plethora of arrows: strength. They do weigh something, and I'd rather have my archers and gunslingers carry something besides arrows and bullets.

Ellumyn's vs. Arcane with high magic ap: a trade off, of which arcane wins in the weight wash. Same average damage per second. Actually, looks like Arcane might come out 1.5 damage points per second ahead.

I haven't played a serious techie yet, so I'm not sure if the elephant or Bronwick would come out over mechanized in the end, too. But I, for one, would rather have my guys carry around something besides bullets. Sebastian just isn't THAT strong.

7. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

But the shield of force isn't UNIQUE. It's cool, and at least one my guys always wers one, but you can buy it at your local magic dealer. I guess the rant is about the fact I fight and fight my way through some nasty dungeon only to find an item I'll never use.

Dorian Amulet=cool, but not unique.

Enchanted War Boots=cool, but not unique.

All the unique items are cursed. That's my beef.

OK, if this bothers noone else, I'll just drop it. Just asking if other agreed that this was annoying. Guess not.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Check out the weapons of random shopkeepers and random characters important to the plot. Lot's of them have named weapons that have benefits and no harmful things.

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

That's not what I was talking about. Yeah , but alot of those weapons that shopkeepers have that are unique just give you an extra 10-15 to hit.

Our Host!