Happy bouncy pogo-ing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TairNean, Apr 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TairNean

TairNean New Member

~pogos around the room, tooting on a party horn thing, stops in a flurry of pogo-ing, cartwheeling and general yehawing~

WOOHOO!! I'm officially a PUBLISHED AUTHOR, and photographer!!!!

~does a snoopy-dance just to add to the sheer silliness of this post~

Ok, it's only the college literary magazine, but I'm PUBLISHED!!!

~softshoes off the stage~

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Congratulations. Out of curiousity, which school do you go to?

3. xento

xento New Member

Wow! Congradulations! I wish you good luck!

BTW, what kind of stories are you going to do?

4. TairNean

TairNean New Member

I go to the County College of Morris, in NJ. Not a very prestigeous school, but it's decent. Sometimes.

I write a bit of everything. But I lean toward fantasy/scifi. I'm currently working on two projects. One is a fantasy tale that's almost too epic. Another is a scifi story that is either going to be a comic book, or a series. I've dabbled with detective tales, and could probably write good romance novels if I had the inclination.

5. Quethim

Quethim New Member

With your act of "joy" you seem more like someone who goes to a gradeschool and got your paper marked with a check mark....

But that's just my view of it. Never been "that" excited to hop around like that before...so I never know...

6. TairNean

TairNean New Member

There's one in every crowd.:roll:

Not enough hugs when you were young?

I've been dreaming of getting something published for 15 years or more. Getting published is a big deal to any artist. At least ones that actually care about their work.

And if I was in grade school, I'd think getting published in a COLLEGE Literary magazine would be pretty damned impressive.

Just because one lacks passion, vision, or even a sense of humour, is no reason to piss in somone's cornflakes.

7. Quethim

Quethim New Member

But pissing in someone's cornflakes is fun, you ever try it? The best part is when they take a drink out of it, you start to giggle, they look at you and you giggle saying "Piss taste good?"

Yeah, funny stuff. (I've never done it before)

And I'm still in high school. As I said, never have enjoyed anything in life...so...eh...

I write stuff myself, ya know? I hang out in the role playing forums, I think I'm doing well there, who knows that. But you just don't seem all like a college student...

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Welcome to the club. Just wait till you have something in a magizine that is on a news stand & people are paying MONEY to read your words.

Don't knock articles & pictures, thats what I have done, good money there. Still haven't made the breakthrough to fiction, but not trying hard.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm working on three separate ideas for books. I have no illusions as to my chances of being published, but I'd just like to write the books. Maybe even a movie script, although I could incorporate it into one of my books.

Good work TairNean, maybe some day you'll get your break, and then you can get me mine :).

10. TairNean

TairNean New Member

If that break comes, I'd be more than happy to share the wealth as it were. I know full well what it's like to be a struggling author.

Anyone interested in seeing the piece that was published? (I don't have the photo scanned, but I have the text). It's fairly short, and I could easily post it on the forum.

Jarinor-I'd be happy to hear your ideas. Would you care to share some? Sometimes it's a great help to share with another writer, and brainstorm. I know it helped me immensely when I was in my creative writing class. Of course it also helped that everything I turned in for the class left the professor slack-jawed and telling the class to get my autograph. In a couple of submissions, the class was left gasping. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, and say I'm wonderful, but it's a damn fine feeling when something you've written reaches people, and invokes the desired reaction from them.

The fantasy story I've been working on for nigh on 15 years is based on my first and favorite D&D character.(who happens to be my namesake..BTW-I pronounce it Teer-nin. I have no idea if that's the proper pronunciation, but it's hard to figure how any Gaelic word is pronounced from looking at it. It's a shortened version of the Scots Gaelic word for "thunder", tairneanach Hooked on phonics just don't work in Gaelic.) He's a half-Elf ranger who was raised as a prince in what would be the Elven equivalent of Mecca in this universe. But his true lineage is unknown even to him. At this point , I'm looking at at least 3 books.

Maybe we could start a storyboard type thread? My attempt in the roleplaying forum is sort of written with that in mind.

11. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I've currently got journalistic/inscriptive aspirations. But given my current academic apathy and some little *coughs* misunderstandings with those little Casers have left my future more than a little uncertain...

I'll probably just have to settle for the political career track, maybe the civil service *grumbles*

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

TairNean, I'm too paranoid to share my ideas over the net. I do brainstorm with a friend of mine though, and that's been helpful so far. I haven't actually written much yet (I lost 15000 or so words when I formatted my computer, but I'm okay with that, it's better this way).

I'm not really into getting messages across, but I'm more into telling a great story, with maybe some sort of hidden meaning, but because I'm really crap at understanding and communicating them I'm not going to try and write them.

13. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Well I can't say as I blame you. I've never had any of my stuff stolen, that I know of, but I tend to be careful where I post it.

I love telling a great story, and I don't mean so much getting a message across as I mean making the reader feel what the characters feel. I'm fond of very vivid and 'living' characters. Which is one thing I found lacking in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. While I loved the stories, and they are very much what inspired me to write, I thought the characters were a little lacking in development and personality. However Tolkien's attention to detail in the world he created just about made up for it.

I'm also extremely fond of characters who are ultimately good, but follow a very...'dark' path. Extreme goody-goodies bother me to no end. Perhaps teetering on the brink of insanity, or something like. My characters have usually had very difficult lives. I'm very mean to them. But that's part of what makes a character believable, and a story good.

Well the general lack of response should tell me no, but I have to ask again, being a stubborn writer type....Anyone want to see the piece I've had published?

Our Host!