Half-Ogre Island still bothers me to this day...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by tamaneko, Sep 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well...considering there are only two types of rape, I guess that point is valid.

2. Prodigal Me

Prodigal Me New Member

3. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Actually, I don't know you, much less whether you are right or not.

4. Prodigal Me

Prodigal Me New Member

i didn't imply that you knew me. and if you did that would be a little bit "the call is coming from inside the house" anyway. whether i'm right or not is for you to decide, though i would've thought at least someone would agree with me

5. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Prodigal, take the comments as they were intended, a little bit of fun. And remember they aren't making fun of the Holocaust or anything. No ogre rape occurred in the making of this game.*

As for people agreeing with you, this guy does:
    http://www.geocities.com/bigorrin/arc2c.htm

*I think...but having seen some staff pictures I really can't be sure.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I never actually said that I didn't agree with you. I just made one comment.
    However, why I made my comment is this; It's a game, and that isn't the only example of racial oppression and enslavement in Arcanum. Think of the orcs (and half orcs)! They get the short end of the stick in pretty much every situation, and they aren't taken care of like the half ogres. I admit, the half ogre baby mill concept is pretty disturbing, but it's just one part of the game.
    That, and considering it's based on real occurances, it places you more firmly in the story.
    "What? Half Ogres in this game are bred as manservants? That sounds a lot like 19th century America with our enslavement of people of color (sorry, I tried to make that as pc as possible). The orcs and half orcs remind me of all the trials and tribulations that immigrant workers went through.
    The Bedokaan tribe of reptile hunters makes me think of how the US government screwed Native Americans over."
    I don't see the problem with putting real issues in a game, but that's just how I see it. If you are offended by it, then that's how you see it.
    That's fine with me, and I won't try to change your mind.

Our Host!