Guess What, Bi-Yatches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Sep 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I loved the Death Gate Cycle. I'ven't read The Mantle of Kendis-Dai. Is it worth reading?

2. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    We won’t kill you Xiao. Don’t worry.
    Just have a seat. Relax and enjoy this nice ice cold glass of holy water.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Screw that! Why are you wasting that shit on me when there are so many politicians just screaming for a dousing?

*ahem* Sorry, I've had a bad day. Regardless, I loathe the Dragonlance books, and I don't care who knows it! (Not on the level I loathe Drizzt and Salvatore, but that's another topic for another day.)

4. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Are you sure about the holey water? I’ve added some nice garlic ice cubes. :D

Although I did like the original two trilogies, I can’t say the many additional books held much interest for me. As far as Weiss and Hickman go, I liked the Dark Sword trilogy better.

For series I Love to Hate, I’d have to pick the first and second Chronicals of Thomas Covanent. I loved the books. I though they were grand. But I hated with hot heaping hunks of hate the “hero”. I guess anti-hero would be more appropriate. I read the second set because I saw that there was a new “hero”. My gods! She was worse than he was!

At the top of my list will always be anything by David Eddings, Anne McCaffrey, Joel Rosenberg or Barbara Hambly. Lately I’m adding Tanith Lee to this list.

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Anne McCaffrey, Naomi Novak, Terry Pratchett, Paul Magrs. (The last name is a writer for Doctor Who, both the only good novels from the dark times of the BBC's 8th Doc line, and some of the most incredibly cool episodes of the new series. Fucking Sam Jones. I had my fears for Martha. Thank GOD she wasn't anything like the technically immortal bitch.)

6. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Damn it! I forgot about Terry Pratchett.
    My world would be a darker place without Discworld.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Discworld wins. The Ankh-Morpork City Watch books... even more so. Pure, epic win. I think the Patrician may be one of the best characters of all time, ever, no arguement.

8. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    So true.
    I still want the luggage, though.
    They did a decent live action Hogfather recently

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I saw that! It was great, I was really impressed.

The wizards were just... PERFECT. Sheer, unadulterated awesome. Ponder Stibbons was almost exactly as I imagined him. Susan was really kick-ass too. She's not an easy character to play.

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Damn straight Pratchett wins the final. All of his books, especially the Discworld ones are so damn great.

And I would dare to say that second to the Patrician comes DEATH. Or the new one, Moist Von Leipzig, and truly wondrous character.

Terry Pratchett, David Eddings, and to sound a little mainstream, J.R.R Tolkien.
    But his LoTR books were among the first Fantasy novels I ever read.

11. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

12. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Can’t say that I have.
    I went to his website and didn’t recognize any of his book titles.
    Though there synopsis and covers (never judge a book by…but I do anyway) looked interesting.

EDIT:
    I just assumed he was a given.

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Neither did I recognize any of Lawheads books.

@Papa Dog
    In that case, I can't say that I have many authors that have written a great deal of books.
    I know one, but currently I can't remember the name of the author, though I know she has written three or four series (5-6 books each) about the same world, which I enjoy.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Mercedes Lackey? I've read a couple of hers, she's good but not really my style.

Tolkien I've read, but I find his style too dry and factual. On the other end of the spectrum is Christopher Paolini, who may be the worst published author in human history, due to his complete lack of imagination, his horrendously poor writing style, cliches, purple prose and the obvious Mary Sue-ism of his main character. (In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not overly fond of his work. Not only is it purest bullshit, he was only published because his parents OWN the company that first published him! AUGH!)

Douglas Adams is great, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (Creators of the ever-awesome Red Dwarf) have a really fun style, and I must admit to a soft spot for Phil Farrand, author of the Nitpickers Guides for Star Trek. He's fucking hysterical.

15. God

God New Member

Xiao_Caity, I betow upon thee the blessings of my most faithful followers. May all of thine days be in my glory - such is the call for this occasion. And remember, uphold my laws and thou wilt be in eternal bliss.

:thumbup:

(I am forever vigiliant, and therefore I do not always relay my greetings in a timely manner. The almighty is always busy.)

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I read the Dragonlance books back when they first came out, starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. When the franchise was just starting, they were an incredible read at the time and were responsible for getting me into "fantasy" settings. I was also 14 at the time so even an Encyclopedia Brown book was good literature to me. Of course, 15 years later, looking back I can think of numerous other works, fantasy and non-fantasy, that are superior to a generic D&D paperback series. But nontheless, I still remember them as an entertaining read. I think alot of people today are turned off by them because they're the "popular" pick. But hell, I don't even know if new ones are still being released. I'm really burned out on fantasy settings and plots these days.

17. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

All I needed to read. I read The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, a compendium of the entire series plus one short story, and all I wanted to do when I put the book down was read the whole thing again. The way everything is explained, the characters, the physics, just...everything! It's just such an amazing read, and that series actually made me laugh out loud as I read.
    Now, I don't know if you guys will disembowel me or not on this one, but I'm also a fan of one of Dean Koontz's series, Odd Thomas. A very interesting read, and the way the book is narrated gives a great deal of insight as to how the lead character lives his absurd and unusual life.

18. God

God New Member

Grossenschwamm, The Lord resents thine signature. Thou hast angered me, and the fate of The_Bob awaits thee lest it is not retracted. I will not accept statements of my obvious logical contradictions.

19. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I may have picked the signature due to its obvious logical ineptitudes on your behalf, oh Lord, but I was not he who originally wrote it as you see. Besides, the Babel Fish proves you beyond a shadow of a doubt, so you don't need faith.

20. God

God New Member

My word is LAW! Do not defend thyself.

Our Host!