forgotten spells???

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by moonlight, Jan 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Something tells me that you are familiar with the periodic table of elements, Muro? Of course you are.

You would agree that the rule of eight is a key feature in the arrangement and understanding of the elements, I guess.

The mathematical harmony evident in the periodic table is the same creature as that described in the colleges of magick. The rule of four is revealed to be a rule of eight.

Yet, accepting this, it doesn't mean that the rule doesn't bend now and again. You cannot rule out the possibility of spells which break the rule of eight anymore than you can rule out the existence of Fe(III) just because it seems to break the rythmn of the progression.

So, if strange spells are possible for every sixteen or thirty-two harmonious spells learned, well, then that would just be the way things are, and the rule of eight would have to be re-examined and revised.

The only way to settle a theoretical scientific debate on the nature of magickal fantasy mechanics would be to design and perform scientific experiments within the fictional magickal system.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

In an rpg game I'm interested in (Vampire: the Requiem to be specific) their version of magic powers progress as with Arcanum to level 5 in a normal codified sense. However after level 5 their "disciplines" become unique - because the caster has become so powerful the magic powers after the 5th level are an individual reflection of them. This could hypothetically be the case with Arcanum; meaning there are an infinite amount of level 6, 7 and 8 spells as they all are reflections of the caster - however because so few mages ever reach this level of power only a very few cases of high level spells have been recorded.

This would explain why say Kerghan and Kraka-Tur could have different forms whilst both using a level 6 morph spell; the magick itself has bent to their strong wills and unique circumstances. I do realise however that Vampire: the Requiem and Arcanum aren't in the least bit related (Vampire: the Masquerade - the game developed also by Trokia hence vaguely related - did have codified disciplines for levels 6 and up, but Vampire: the Requiem is a complete re-boot of that with a wholly different setting and rules), it's just a theory.

Another high level spell I would say observed in the game is the future-seeing ability of the Silver Lady; it must be Divination 6 if not higher (I can't see what could be better in that college than seeing into the future so it may be level 8, she or Nasrudin are the most powerful living mages after all).

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That Vampire system is indeed quite interesting.

Don't see a need to assume rule bendings as long as there is a way to explain everything with non-bent rules, though.

4. moonlight

moonlight Member

For me , Kerghan's case reminds me of the holy defiler , were it is said to be a white necromantic mage who looked deeper into the darker side. what do you think about this?

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Speaking as a metabuser, I'd say there's evidence enough of strange interactions between colleges to warrant an alternative hypothesis, wot?

According to my hexperiments, an approximation of the Regenerative Caccoon can be achieved with level 5 spells from the Meta, Morph and Nature colleges combined, suggesting theoretical "compound spells" which only grandmasters might cast. *monocle*

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

And, this could be what the magical symbol refers to.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Pelojian was truly a clairvoyant then, referring to a trick discovered years after the game's release like that.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yeah, no doubt. Level 8 Divination = See Through Fourth Wall to the User Universe.

But seriously, Muro, you're right. You're always right. I just couldn't resist playing advocate diablo.

Condolences on the miserable bloody weather you're having over there by the way.

9. moonlight

moonlight Member

Ah muro I like it, no doubt about that :)
    but seriously would it be possible to combine normal spells to create more powerful spells?

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I must have been halfway dyslexic reading that, but please remind me that "Speaking as a meth abuser" should be one of the options when you get your custom.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a one letter difference doesn't make you a dyslexic DE.

And speaking of customs, we're quite behind on a number of folks given the measly requirement of 1k posts, so I wouldn't much worry about it.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

this also reminds me of the lich spell. what do you think about it?

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

6th level black necromancy spell would be adequate for that.

14. moonlight

moonlight Member

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Turning oneself into a decaying undead doesn't sound like it would require enough magickal power compared to other known/alleged higher level spells to be a 7th or 8th level spell to me.

16. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

The numerous encounters with lich in the game seems to support that its fairly trivial magick.

17. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I believe it's some sort of Create Undead spell, used by the caster on him/herself before the event of death. So yeah, 6th level BN sounds good.

18. moonlight

moonlight Member

yeah logical point it seems, what about the holy defiler ? he shares the same situation with kerghan , what do you think?

19. moonlight

moonlight Member

Hi again , I just wanted to ask , are there any files for the spells used by kerghan? maybe we can know a little bit more, also the regenerating shell.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, Kerghan and holy defilers have much in common. The difference here would be that Kerghan surrounds himself with undead guards rather than living mind-controlled ones.

Scrolls for two of Kerghan's spells can be found in description.mes and can be functionally added to the game with, say, a modified background or shop inventory list. Both scrolls have a MPA typical for normal 5 lvl spells.

"Kerghan's Death", is functionally identical to Quench Life (except for different audiovisual effects, Kerghan's laugh included), since it deals the same damage lowered by the same resistance.

"Kerghan's Attack" doesn't work properly when cast from a scroll. It's probably a clone of Unseen Force with different audiovisual effects, though.

The regenerative shield is a scripted set of effects rather than a spell per se.

Of course, everything said above is about the mechanics of the game. Wouldn't go too far with translating it into lore.

Our Host!