For those Australians amongst us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Mar 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Bitch, if you gave those customers the little extra then why aint you got no money? The fact that you aint got my money means you got more ho in you than Santa Claus, and you spread it faster than peanut butter on wonderbread.

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well...I forgot you also know Baldrug, but i thought it to be silly to tell you about all of my friends that has no intrest in this forum and that you know nothing about.

3. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

As long as you don't bring them all here Wobbler, i'm willing to shutup. One of you is enough.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A swastika!? That is so FUCKING outrageous!
    I hate everything associated with swastikas, and nationalism, and nazism.

5. Telcontar

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Telcontar

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I didn't like that one, do a Bree-communist picture instead.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Swastikas has nothing to do with nationalism, the Gods will punish you hard if you ever claim that again. You WILL feel their wrath.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

11. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

There is exactly zero number of gods.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That isn't true. And don't come with that bullshit again that you can prove that God does not exist with scientific methods. Only God can prove his existanse to you - no-one else can.

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You are radiating intelligence, dear Bree.

14. Xz

The existence of god(s) has never been proven true, neither has it been proven untrue, therefore no one can know whether there is a god/gods or not, thus rendering us all agnostics. Calling all of us agnostic however is dumb, and therefore we are divided into groups by belief. Bree believes that there is one god [(which I presume is Yahweh), a belief that really doesn't work with any of the communist states we've seen this far by the way]. Frigo believes that there is no such thing as gods until such has been proven (I presume he also believes that proving such a thing is impossible because they do not exist).

Now unfortunately for you Bree, the burden of proof lies on you because if I were to claim that there was an invisible pink unicorn orbiting the moon, then no one would believe me unless I could prove it. And being that none of us really have any more reason to believe in a god than in the unicorn (reason: we've been told it's there) the alleged god must also be proved.

So when I say that the gods will punish you for claiming swastikas have anything to do with nationalism, I mean that Thor will crush your head with his hammer, and then nail you to a tree just like he did with your god. Now of course I can't prove any of this (except that swastikas has nothing to do with nationalism as swastikas existed long before nationalism existed), and I have no want to either because trying to prove the existence of a god is not only stupid but also impossible.

So fuck you and your mono-theistic religion bashing crap.

DISCLAIMER: I am an atheist.

15. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

That's not really true, the existence of God, Allah, etc. can be proven false simply by the contradictions in the holey books of their respective religions (see my sig). On the other hand, a simple creator/maintainer of the universe can not (and never) be ruled out, but its chance to exists is small enough to be negligible (infinite regression, occam's razor, information loss, hardness of physical formulas / economic efficiency, no real difference between accepting his existence or not, etc etc etc), of course, not without resorting to metaphysical speculations.

I'm not a big fan of accepting the lack of evidence as proof, but given that this theory can not be measured, has no predictions, has no practical benefit and is not falsifiable, we can sleep calmly at night if we abandon it.

Well, if there would be some implications of their existence or non-existence that we could measure, we could prove or disprove it, but unfortunately we can rely only on speculations (See my tools above. My favourite is Occam's razor :))

The Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. I have proof! The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster says so! And it is correct, it is the word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

And my Flying Spaghetti Monster could kick your Invisible Pink Unicorn's inivisible pink ass any time :)

16. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

17. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Standard question:
    Standard answer:
    I don't need to eat dog feces to know it sucks.

(Or "I don't need to jump in the well to know it's bad", if it is more appropiate)

---

Oh yea, I had a conversation with Bree on msn; I summarized this fallacy:
    1) God must be real, because the Bible says so
    2) The Bible is correct, because it is God's word

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I consider one of the main flaws with religious practice the fundamentalist approach seen in many believers, to whom proven scientic fact and common sense are inferior to, what they feel, is the perfect inerrancy of their divine scriptures.

Myself, I prefer to have an allegorical outlook on religious myth, rather than regarding it as historical fact. Noah's ark is a good example of this.

To sum up the story, about four millennia ago, Yahweh felt that mankind had gone terribly bad/crossbred too much with the nephilim depending on interpretation, and decided that the sons of a bitches were going down. However, he wanted the righteous to be spared, and just so it happens, the only ones righteous enough were Noah, his three sons and their wives. Yahweh revealed his plans for global omnicide to Noah and instructed him to build a 450' boat of gopher wood, whatever that is. Clearly the obedient sort, Noah spent the following 120 years building it (because back then, apparently people had lifespans compared to Tolkienesque elves).
    Furthermore, Noah was instructed to take two of each land-dwelling animal on his vessel, except for the "clean" animals which he was to take seven of. With the boat built and loaded, Yahweh let loose the first rain ever, which must have been just a little bit more than a slight drizzle seeing as it managed to cover the entire Earth with enough water to put Mount Everest below the surface in a matter of forty days. After a year or so, the water receded and Noah landed with his ark somewhere in the mountains of Ararat, forming a new covenant with Yahweh, who gave us the rainbow to glare at.

As a myth, I think this is a great story, perhaps because I have such a weak spot for worldwide genocide. However, I would never dream of treating it as a historical fact. History is a science and science must be based on logic, and so void of logic is this story that it cannot be seriously regarded as a fact. First of all, collecting all the animals. Animals would have to travel from their natural habitats across the globe to Iraq, a feat not many animals would be even capable of, even if they had 120 years to do it. I'm not sure if the ark, given its measurements, could fit all the animals inside, especially when you factor in the supplies of food they'd have to bring. Unless the ark was fitted with some really high-tech gear, I find it highly improbable that many of the animals we see today would survive being locked up inside a boat for a year. It's also peculiar that when the boat landed, the animals would spread out back to their natural habitats, logically the penguins would never have made it back to Antarctica. In fact, most herbivores would go extinct seeing as there were only two of each, and loads of hungry carnivores.

This is only scratching the surface. I could go on forever, the point is that nifty things such as the theory of evolution does a better job of explaining why there are kangaroos in Australia rather than them having to jump all the way through Asia and swim the last bit.

Why I even bothered to write all this is beyond me, though I guess the hope for some frenzied debate was pushing me to it.

19. Xz

I'd say the chances are pretty 50-50. Unless it can be tested the odds are always 1:1.

Yes, there is no reason to believe anything we don't need.

As with all other religions Invisible Pink Unicorn (IPU) is based on both fact s and faith. We know that it's invisible because we can't see it, and we have faith that it's pink.

20. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

If you've ever picked up a Bible, you've probably noticed that it is a pretty long book (~1000 pages of small print). There's a lot of information in there, and before you can dismiss it as self-contradicting, you have to find contradictions. There are many concepts in the Bible that may seem contradictory when you don't fully understand their complexities or the history behind them.

The concept of the Trinity for example, which you have so crudely and inadequately attempted to sum up in your sig, cannot be fully understood without first understanding the entire Old Testament (39 books) and how it ties in with the New Testament.

Our Host!