Fellowship of the Ring - mini-review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calis, Dec 16, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

You a corect Carl and I appologize. I was thinking of another much less literate person that posts here whos name I confused with your's. That along with some replies I have gotten lately I guess put me and an ass chewing mood. Anyway sorry for the confusion, but yes I would feel better if you asked people not to trust me simply because I am me rather then I am gay. (So how insane does that sound???)

anyway sorry about the lame flame :razz:

2. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

Opps sorry about that Carl I was wrong you are exactly the jerk that I thought you were. NM please forgive me for asking you to forgive me :asshole:

3. carlstar

carlstar New Member

alright you go eros.

precious little eros.

4. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

5. carlstar

carlstar New Member

eros you are the wind beneath my wings, which aint such a good thing for you as i just ate a big lunch.

ahhhhhh... classic.

6. anachronox2

anachronox2 New Member

less literate person.... *cough* bortiis *cough*

i am also you. just a figment of your imagination. and yours too, whoever it is you are who reading my posts...

7. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

OK Carly you can go run out and get a life now... Go get one and btw try LIVING it and keeping your BIRDshit out of mine. (I just washed my car)

8. carlstar

carlstar New Member

homour is such a personal thing. sometimes its just too low brow i guess.

9. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

Nah I got it. I am sure it must be very frustrating for you to be confronted by someone as apparently irreverant as I. But I assure you I am not mean sprited, I have just been a bit bitter. Maybe I have lashed out at you but maybe that's because I felt like I had to eat crow because it seemed to me that as soon as I started defending you, you began attacking me and the things I stand for.

I thus got mad with myself because I avoided calling you on alot of it (like your views on homosexuality.). Anywho I will try to lighten up even if you don't. Because for me it's the right thing to do...

10. AsenathWaite

AsenathWaite New Member

The movie is a Triumph

Saw it this weekend and was sad when it ended. It was everything it was cracked up to be and more. The story patiently unfolded, it was consistent with the novel, the acting was supurb (especially Saruman the White, Gandolf, and Arwin), and the set design eye-popping. Even little things, like the Elven language and narrative story telling in the beginning were nicely done, and added flavor to the movie.
    One interesting thing is that they had Arwin send the river against the Nazgul, when it was Gandolf in the book -but you know what? If I were to change something in the book, this is what I would have changed. It gave her a more prominant role (she is barely there in the novel).
    There was a bit too much computer animation -especially the cave-troll -I would have dressed a professional wrestler in rags for this and it would have been much more realistic. But that is a minor complaint. Overall, the movie is wonderful.

11. AsenathWaite

AsenathWaite New Member

Hey but wait!!!!!

Who is going to play Eowyn? One of the best characters in the book -I have a feeling she is going to be "morphed" into Arwin and that love triangle is going to be taken out.

One other complaint -why didn't Galadriel and Elrond mention their rings (water and air if I remember correctly)? Doesn't Gandalf have the ring of fire?

12. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Hey guys...is Arwen(Liz Tyler)...gay? I saw her kissing with another girl(in a picture at whatever awards) and her hugging the same girl(also in 2 other pictures at whatever awards)

13. FluffyLittleRabbit

14. Rigor_Mortis

Rigor_Mortis New Member

HI GUYS!

LOTR the movie is cool but the book rocks.

15. FluffyLittleRabbit

Eros..you should read the books. That should show some light on your understanding Of LOTR. Anyway, its the book of the century. I know its quite hard to understand since you havent read the books. I've watched the movie 2 times(1 day after its release and just 1 day ago). First with family and second time with friends. They all, having not read the books, were also quite confused lol so I understand. But isnt the graphics nice? The acting were superb too. If you dont understand the plot, I can show some light on ur understand.
    THE PLOT:
    Long ago there Sauron, the dark lord gave the elven lords 3 rings, the dwarven lords 7 rings and the human lords 9 rings. They took it without question thinking it was a gift from Sauron. In the dark, Sauron actually crafted a ring himself, which would control ALL of the owners of the other rings. Well, somehow the elven lords knew about that(Celebrimbor knew) and the dwarven lords too(I forgot how), but the human lords were turned into ringwraiths(those black riders). Sauron then conquered Middle Earth. The Men and the Elves of Old then forged an alliance. Led by Elendil and Gil-Galad, they marched into Mordor. They finally met face to face with Sauron and fought him. Elendil and Gil-Galad perished. Isildur son of Elendil then cut the hand of Sauron and took the ring. Sauron was defeated. Lured by greed, Isildur took the ring for himself and ran away. Unfortunately he was ambushed by orc archers and fell dead. The ring dropped into a nearby river. Years later, a hobbit-like creature found it. He fell into the water accidently and found the ring. When he got up to shore, he admired it. His friend, Smeagol(Gollum) came up to him and asked to to give it to him. He refused and gave Smeagol the reason that it was his birthday and should keep the ring. Smeagol, tempted by the ring, strangled his friend to death. He then took the ring for himself and went home. When he got home, he noticed that no one could see him. He used the ring to do evil things and was eventually banished from his home. He lived in a cave then. One day, a hobbit adventurer named Bilbo Baggins found the ring in the cave when he was lost from his companions, Thorin and the dwarves. He took it and met Gollum on his way out. Unsuspecting, Gollum played a riddle game with Bilbo with the hope of Bilbo losing and him eating him. Gollum lost, and Bilbo went on his way. Gollum later found his ring lost, and remembered the last riddle Bilbo asked,"What is in my pocket?" and he quicky chased Bilbo. Bilbo was too quick for him.
    Years later, in Shire, it was Bilbo's 111 birthday. A large party was held and Gandalf, the wizard who embarked Bilbo on an adventure with Thorin and dwarves, came to display some magnificent fireworks. That party was actually the last party Bilbo was actually holding in Shire, as he was heading to Rivendell, for a pernament holiday. He made a speech on his party day and mysteriously disappeared after that. Gandalf knew he was at Bag Ends and went there to find him. He asked him to retain the ring behind for Frodo. Bilbo resisted at first but later obediently listened to Gandalf. Gandalf then entrusted the ring to Frodo Baggins, cousin of Bilbo Baggins, and lived with Bilbo Baggins because his parants drowned while boating along the Brandywine river. Not knowing that the ring was actually Sauron's(he was suspicious), he went to Minas Tirith, the White City, and went to look at Isildur's scroll. He returned to Shire later and then confirmed with Frodo that it is the ring of Sauron. He told Frodo that he should set off to Rivendell, to receive consul, and he should stop at Breeland first to meet him. Samwise Gamgee, son of the Gardener of Bag Ends, overheard the conversation and was dragged as a companion to Frodo. They then sent off for Breeland. Gandalf went to Isengard, after hearing from Radagast the Brown that Saruman the White seeks him. Heading there, he discovered that Saruman had turned evil(He looked into the palantir stone and got ensnared by Sauron), and was trapped in the Tower Orthanc. Frodo goes to Breeland, and in the midway picked up Pippin and Merry, and had some adventures in the Old Forest and met Tom Bombadil before reaching Breeland. Meanwhile, the ringwraiths are searching for Frodo and has reached the Shire.
    At Breeland, Frodo went to the Prancing Pony to meet Gandalf but didnt find him. Pippin, drunk, revealed that Frodo(under the cover of the name Mr.Underhill), was actually Frodo Baggins from Bag Ends. Frodo wanted to distract the people's attention and did a dance. In the midway, Frodo fell and the ring accidentally slipped into his finger. He disappeared. This action attracted the attention of Strider, a Dunadan Ranger and friend of Gandalf. He dragged them into their room and talked with them. The innkeeper came in later and handed Frodo a letter from Gandalf to confirm that Strider was his friend. Strider then led the hobbits into his room. The ringwraiths came in the hobbit's room later in the night and stabbed them(they thought the hobbits were sleeping there), but it disappointed them. Strider then led Frodo and friends out of Breeland, heading to Rivendell. Along the way, they stopped at Amon Sul, an abandoned watchtower. There, Frodo was attacked by ringwraiths and was injured. Strider hurridly brought him to Rivendell and on the way, met Glorfindel of Rivendell, which led Frodo to his horse and commanded his horse to ride as fast as it could to Rivendell. The ringwraiths were hot on Frodo's trail. After a while, Frodo reached a river and crossed it. He told the ringwraiths to go back, and suddenly a strong wave came and washed away the ringwraiths. The flood was actually commanded by Elrond, lord of Rivendell and the shape of the horses were made by Gandalf(he escaped from Orthanc with the help of Gwaihir the Windlord).
    At Rivendell, Frodo rested and met Bilbo there. They were then called to the council of Elrond, which would discuss about the ring. Present at the council were Gloin, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and others. Gloin was here to warn them that the messager of Sauron has reached Iron Hills, and asked Dain, King under the mountain, to reveal whereabouts of the ring and will give him back their rings of power if they do so. The dwarves fear that Sauron will kill Dain, and King Brand(King of Erebor) also. He was at the council to seek council. Gimli is his son. Legolas on here to warn them that Gollum(captured by elves not long after Bilbo got the ring) escaped from Mirkwood, and was brought away by Orcs. Boromir was here to seek counsul. Boromir is the son of Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith the white City. Their city is being besieged by Sauron's forces everyday and they are falling. They discussed about the ring and other matters, and then formed a fellowship to accompany Frodo to Mount Doom in Mordor to destroy the ring. They then head to a snowy mountain pass(a short cut to Lothlorien) but a heavy snowstorm brought them to the mines of Moria. Moria was actually a dwarven city, but they dug too deep and awoken an ancient demon of Morgoth, a balrog. The balrog destroyed the colony. Gandalf took a while to figure out how to open the door of Moria and when they are going in, Frodo got ambushed by the Watcher in the waters, but got saved by the others. They then head deep into the mines of Moria, then finally came to a tomb. The tomb of Durin, the Lord Of Moria. Gandalf read the book on how Moria fell and Pippin accidentally made something fall into the well. That brought the orcs to them. They fought for a while and escaped to the bridge of Kazad-Dum, and the balrog came. Gandalf tried to block him but fell with the balrog too. Dont worry, he will get resurrrected by Galadriel, Lady Of Lorien and fetched off by Gwaihir the Windlord.(Is it?) Now Aragorn(Strider) had to lead them. They travelled to Lothlorien, and met the Lady Of Lorien. They rested there, and Frodo and Samwise got to look into the mirror of Galadriel. (What Frodo saw in the movie was the breaking of the fellowship and the destruction of Shire and the hobbits being kept as slaves. That will happen in the 3rd movie.) Then they continued their way along the river to the Dead Marshes, but when they rested on the shores, Uruk-Hais(fighting orcs) ambushed them and Boromir died trying to defend Pippin and Merry. Frodo secretly(actually in the book he made off secretly and Aragorn doesnt know) made off with a boat, but Samwise caught sight of a boat moving by its own(Frodo was wearing the ring) and so he caught up with Frodo. They head to the Dead Marshes together. Meanwhile, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas made their way to Rohan.
    That is the story of the first movie. Catch the 2nd movie if you wanna find out more!

16. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

Hey Fluffy I think you are right I should read the book. I only saw the cartoon back in the 70's and I have come to realize that the cartoon was based on "The Hobitt" and NOT Lord of the rings. I think I went to the movie expecting to see "the Hobitt". Oh well I still think 3 hours is way to long for a movie :sad:

BTW Rigor_Mortis your pic ROCKS! that skeleton/wrath thing is WAY cool :grin:

17. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

What is Scientology ?

Read this .

I'm going to tell you a story. Are you sitting comfortably? Right, then I'll begin.
    Once upon a time (75 million years ago to be more precise) there was an alien galactic ruler named Xenu. Xenu was in charge of all the planets in this part of the galaxy including our own planet Earth, except in those days it was called Teegeeack.

Now Xenu had a problem. All of the 76 planets he controlled were overpopulated. Each planet had on average 178 billion people. He wanted to get rid of all the overpopulation so he had a plan.

Xenu took over complete control with the help of renegades to defeat the good people and the Loyal Officers. Then with the help of psychiatrists he called in billions of people for income tax inspections where they were instead given injections of alcohol and glycol mixed to paralyse them. Then they were put into space planes that looked exactly like DC8s (except they had rocket motors instead of propellers).

These DC8 space planes then flew to planet Earth where the paralysed people were stacked around the bases of volcanoes in their hundreds of billions. When they had finished stacking them around then H-bombs were lowered into the volcanoes. Xenu then detonated all the H-bombs at the same time and everyone was killed.

The story doesn't end there though. Since everyone has a soul (called a "thetan" in this story) then you have to trick souls into not coming back again. So while the hundreds of billions of souls were being blown around by the nuclear winds he had special electronic traps that caught all the souls in electronic beams (the electronic beams were sticky like fly-paper).

After he had captured all these souls he had them packed into boxes and taken to a few huge cinemas. There all the souls had to spend days watching special 3D motion pictures that told them what life should be like and many confusing things. In this film they were shown false pictures and told they were God, The Devil and Christ. In the story this process is called "implanting".

When the films ended and the souls left the cinema these souls started to stick together because since they had all seen the same film they thought they were the same people. They clustered in groups of a few thousand. Now because there were only a few living bodies left they stayed as clusters and inhabited these bodies.

As for Xenu, the Loyal Officers finally overthrew him and they locked him away in a mountain on one of the planets. He is kept in by a force-field powered by an eternal battery and Xenu is still alive today.

That is the end of the story. And so today everyone is full of these clusters of souls called "body thetans". And if we are to be a free soul then we have to remove all these "body thetans" and pay lots of money to do so. And the only reason people believe in God and Christ was because it was in the film their body thetans saw 75 million years ago.

Well what did you think of that story?

What? You thought it was a stupid story?

Well so do we. However, this story is the core belief in the religion known as Scientology.* If people knew about this story then most people would never get involved in it. This story is told to you when you reach one of their secret levels called OT III. After that you are supposed to telepathically communicate with these body thetans to make them go away. You have to pay a lot of money to get to this level and do this (or you have to work very hard for the organisation on extremely low pay for many years).

We are telling you this story as a warning. If you become involved with Scientology then we would like you to do so with your eyes open and fully aware of the sort of material it contains.

Most of the Scientologists who work in their Dianetics* centres and so called "Churches" of Scientology do not know this story since they are not allowed to hear it until they reach the secret "upper" levels of Scientology. It may take them many years before they reach this level if they ever do. The ones who do know it are forced to keep it a secret and not tell it to those people who are joining Scientology.
    Part of the first page of the secret OT III document in L. Ron Hubbard's own handwriting

Now you have read this you know their big secret. Don't let us put you off joining though

As for the movie its one of the best i have ever seen .It rocks .Everybody should go and see it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chrisbeddoes on 2001-12-28 14:23 ]</font>

18. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

(looks around nerviously) Um.... OK. Um.... Thanks for sharing..... Um... I think I'll be going now.... SLOWLY backs away... :hidepc:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eros Rex on 2001-12-28 14:42 ]</font>

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm curious Chris - how did you come by this story and the details? You a Scientologist, or have relations with one?

20. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Sauron DIDN'T give the elven kings their rings!
    he never even saw the rings of the elves!
    and if YOU would read the books more carefully you would know this!

and some things that should not have been
    forgotten...
    ...were lost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ring lord on 2002-02-07 06:29 ]</font>

Our Host!