Favourite type of character

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Transparent Painting, Aug 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I think I'm reviving an old thread right now but I'm not sure.

First: Which do you prefer, magic or technology?

Second: If magic, which school?
    If technology, what type?

Third: What race?

Fourth: What aligment, good or evil?

Fifth: Anyting else that is special with your favourite type of character?

Edit: I removed unnecessary information.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Well, this is the Arcanum section, TP, so I doubt that anybody failed to understand.

Anyway, my favourite character is still a meele-monster Half Ogre with a fuckload of strength and magic alignment. You can become quite a monster with the dark helmet.

Add the Bangellian Scourge, two arcane rings and some other arcane equipment and you're ready to kick some furry ass.

3. Langolier

Langolier Member

I don't think I can really pick a favorite.

In general I prefer to play as noble, charismatic, Human, gun-wielding technologists.

However I had tons of fun once with an Elvin adventurer. He was a bit arrogant, but still good at his core. He dabbled in bow, melee, and dodge, as well as divine and healing. Sadly that save game got corrupt and I lost him.

The other character I've had tons of fun with is a technological thief. Moltov cocktails, hushed revolver, lock-picking, backstab, prowling...

My all time favorite though was a depressed half-orc assassin. He met his end pretty early though.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Definitely tech. Somehow I find it more fun than spellcasting.

When I play a magickal character, the only two schools I bother with are Conveyance (for UC and the Teleport, obviously), and Temporal, plus a few singular spells like Harm, AoF and Shield of Protection. Fireflash optional.

Well, this depends. If I play a gunslinger I usually choose Electrical for the Tesla Gun (it's not really necessery, but is still a lot of fun). When playing a tech archer, I have no choice but to go for Explosives for the Pyro bow. I don't normally play melee so I don't need Smithy, and there's nothing truly worthwhile in other disciplines that I couldn't get from my followers.

I prefer ranged attacks, so when tech, I usually choose halflings for the extra DX and the critical hit bonus. When magic, I tend to choose an Elf if good and a gnome if evil (gnomes have that weird counter-bonus of getting good reaction for doing evil stuff).

Usually good. There are more game options for a good guy. Although I don't often behave like a good guy, burglary is the norm for me.

Well like I said, I prefer ranged attackers when playing tech, so most often I end up Firearms or Bow oriented. When playing magic, I rarely learn combat skills and rely on Harm instead. Oh and I tend to drag along as many followers as I can find, usually choosing by compatibility. Right now I am playing a tech halfling archer with a mostly shooter party (Vollinger, Sebastian, Waromon, Raven, and I am thinking of dumping Magnus for Franklyn Payne simply because he looks like a part of the set).

5. Transparent Painting

I'm not sure myself wich type of character I prefer but in any other normal RPG I often choose, like Langolier, a charismatic human with either poison or firearms.

I do know that I like tech more than magic, since tech in Arcanum is, generally, cool. I havn't played that much with tech characters before but I've reinstalled Arcanum now and I'll see how long I can get with a Tech/gunslinger dwarf.

I usually play good characters because I always finds it hard to be evil.
    Don't know exactly why, I guess I'm a good person. :)

If I play with a magican, then I would use Harm (most owerpowered...) and Tempus (always fun to be fast...).

6. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I usually play a dwarf technologist with some training in electric. I prefer to use the found/bought schematics and boost my skills with books. For the learned schematics, I use followers.

I also tend to collect followers until I've got a small Army (somebodies got to carry all this crap!), so I end up being a master of persuasion with high charisma and respectable intelligence.

For combat I'm more of the brute force smash-em-with-an-axe kind of guy with the Iron Clan weapon being my favorite. I also tend to be good oriented, even if I try to be bad. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

My favorite group so far has been all dwarves.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Half-elf, slightly shady gunfighter has always been my favorite. Playing both sides of the fence is just flat-out fun.

8. Langolier

Langolier Member

Grenadiers are alot of fun, especially if you make them chemists too. Knock-out Gas owns. The tranquilizer gun is very powerful too.

9. floyd

floyd New Member

Definitely technology, although I have played through the game as a magic character as well.

When magic, I go for the Harm spell (just like everybody else, I suppose) and a bit of everything: those first Earth, Water and what-have-you spells are quite useful, so is that Unlock Cantrip spell. A bit of everything, really. And I invest in melee and doge as well, just to be on the safe side.

When technology, I want to become a gun-toting MacGyver type of character, so at the start of the game, instead of investing two points into melee, I put a point into Throwing and a point into Explosives. Clearing the first maps with a boomerang is a whole different experience but just as effective, plus now I can make the über-mighty molotov cocktail which is useful throughout the game. After that I invest points into Lockpick, Gun, Dodge, Electricity (for the ring), is it Smithy for that nice armour you can make, you know: the armour you make with a leather armour and some iron wire or something, very light and very decent armour that, excellent for gun slingers, I usually finish the game with it.

Magic: half elf
    Technology: human

Good.

Uhm... nope.

10. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I prefer magick for the teleportation and disintegrate stuff (the firearms were disappointing).

Race... anything in the general humanoid size. I tried a half-ogre but had trouble finding good armour in that size. I refuse to play gnome because... that thing in the game.

Though I'm pretty good in real life, I almost always play evil in games allowing such behaviour. I have slight problems being told what to do, and thus rebel against a game forcing me to do stuff in certain ways. Anyway, what's so fun "playing yourself" - don't you do that every day?

Anything else of note? Well, the most fun I've had in Arcanum was with Troll Boy, a half-orc having that "butt ugly" background (sorry; it's been a while and I forget what it's called). Everyone hated him on sight and I had severe problems with Bates, trainers, storekeeps, and people in general. Even Virgil disliked me, the whiner.

11. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

I prefer tech, mostly because it's more interesting than magic (why there no special techy city like Tulla for magicians :( ) In technlology I often prefer Electricity and Greandes-throwing-tech-branch (there are many interesting schemes like electrogrenades). Humans and Half-orcs are the favorite. And as for aligment... it almost makes no difference.

12. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Isn't that supposed to be Tarant, though? (But I see what you mean.)

13. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

There's too much commoners, hooligans, etc...and Tulla is for 'chosen ones'. I think some 'elite' district of Vendegroth (when there were people, of course) could fit this role.

14. Transparent Painting

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

It'd be cool if there were something like a "World's Fair" for Technologists. You know... like the ones a century ago where they'd have the whole place lit up with that new technology: electric power/light.

Stuff like that...

16. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

I wouldnt say this is my favourite set up but its definnatly a fun one....

I get the face of keree melange. It doesnt matter what damn race. Just so happens i cant remmeber what race she is right now.....
    I think human,
    ANYWAY
    Yeah, keree with a heck load of ch and it. When ur pretty much maxed out wit ch it, u can have s hit load of followers. I mean it becomes like the easiest expeireience of ur life. And no, i dont know whats goin on wit the spellin there....
    Anyway like i was sayin, imagine havin a lvl 50 Dog, Chukka, Sogg mead mug, virgil, and king wats his name... Ahhh i cant member his name! The dwarf, not magnus he´s got a pole up his arse that whole damn game... That harbinger guy.... One with a nasty axe... Guy of the wheel clan. Anyway, maybe one or 2 more, but yeah, its the nicest thing u can do. Walk up 2 sum1 like ohh i dunno, king praetor and say " Dance bitch" DOG SOG VIRG CHUKK DWARF DESTROY! Then at that precise moment u wanna have otherworld by ramstein playin really loud. (u know that song out of the opening scene of ffx) Then u go on and say hello 2 arronax. "Perhaps we should join eachother?" "hmmm yes we could do that... Or i could laugh as chukka cracks ur spine!," DOG CHUKK VIRG DWARF.... ATTACK THE FOOL! Or no! EVEN BETTER
    Go up 2 nasrudin and make sure raven is in ur party, b4 u see nasrudin tell her i think u best leave the group... Then BLUDGEON HER! As you enter the house of nasrudin, skip the dialogue.... AND SAY DOG, CHUKK, VIRG DWARf.... ATTACK THIS FOOLISH MORTAL! Then u get ace of spades playin in the background. Then you shout things at the moniter like.... Ha! reincarnation of you! MWAHAHAHA, (then start quoting whats his name off soul calibur.... Dammit, the one that says BUG! ASTAROTH! Yeah, u start quoting him saying things like, "FOOLISH MORTAL!" FALL! YOU CUR!) LoL Yeah anyway.. Do away with nasrudin, then walk up 2 kerghan. Then u say oi Kergy! He´s like you dare enter my room? Your like Fuckin Right I Dare, Look At Who i fuckin brought wit me! Yeah thats right, thats chuckka, thats virgil, thats dog and thats... thats Dwarf! then The Boss music FFVII comes into play! Then u say, MyMyMy Khurgan or however ur damn name is spealt! I belive theres a wet patch in ur undergarments! Are you frightend or just pleased to see me? VIRG CHUKKA SOG DWARF, ATTACK THE FOOLISH ONE!

After he is dead you go and watch Commando.... U know the arnie film where he plays the indestructable john matrix! The one where he has unlimited ammo for a gatlin gun, and also can dodge bullets! But he doesnt dodge em like normal people would, ohh no! HE fuckin Catches em with is teeth, then he shits em out an throws em at ya! So, after u watch that film....

Go and play arcanum as a barbarian with supreme mellee power and pretend your john matrix out of commando. Play Enter the sandman by Mettalica, or hey even Voodoo Chile by Jimi. Just let rip, as far as im cocerned arcanum is one big ego trip. And it feels pretty damn gooD!

(Damn... I think im going insane....)

17. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I'm inclined to agree. But your musical taste is not gone completely, yet.

18. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

Hmmmm
    Would it be if i liked such music as
    Willie nelson?
    Johnny Cash?
    Waylon jennings?
    Pink Floyd?
    Led Zepplin?
    Phish?
    Gratefull Dead?
    caravan?

I like 2 much music.
    Honestly
    To Much

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not yet. The artwork for a living Vendigroth city just isn't available.

20. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Our Host!