Favorite Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rosselli, Feb 9, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I believe we already discussed this in part in an earlier thread, but I'm hoping more people will give their opinions this time.

Beer
    Middle Ages Tripel Crown. It is rich, smooth, and has little or no bitter "beer taste." It is also 10%AVB, and ten bucks for a four-pack. So it's definitly for the elitist beer-drinker with a high tolerance. Second in favor would definitly be Victory Golden Monkey. It's a 9%AVB beer brewed with eastern spices, and tastes like nothing I've ever had. To just list a few more, Unibroue Maudite, Dogfish Head Raison D'Eitre, Rogue Honey Cream Ale, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Allagash White, and Ommegang Abbey Ale.

Straight Liqour
    Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. Extremely strong, smooth, and tasty. I don't reccomend chugging more than three shots of it. I did it once. This stuff is 45 proof, which for the uneducated means 90% AVB. Grey Goose and Belvedere vodka are also quite good.

Mixed Drinks
    Frangellico with milk. One of the most comforting drinks I've ever had, perfect for before bead. Along the same vein, Godiva White Chocolate with milk. Ammereto with coffee, Bailey's Irish Cream with coffee, a good margerita, or even the humble screwdriver, made with good vodka. I don't drink mixers very often.

Wine
    Last but not least, the first love of any Italian drinker. I personally love Bolla Soave, a dry, smooth imported white. Francis Coppola Sebastiani is also very good. For general types of wine, I like shiraz, chardonay, and pino grigio.

Finally, no, I am not an alcoholic. I just enjoy my spirits.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I like most local beers, without having any clear favourites. Norrlands Guld ain't too bad, neither is Pripps Blå. My own homebrew mead turned out to be pretty nice too, but it was a while since I made anything new.

I do have a clear winner when it comes to liquor though. Mix Brännvin Special with cloudberries (I think that's the correct translation). Nothing could beat it. Ever.

Dunno about wine though. Actually, the only form of wine I've actually liked is glögg, which is red wine spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cardemom, carnation, sugar and usually powered up with a fair share of booze. It's served hot together with raisins and chopped almonds and is kind of a christmas specialty.

3. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

All that sounds great, including the other drinks you listed. I think I need to visit Sweden sometime soon. But the glogg I think would be more in the realm of mulled cider and other such drinks. It isn't straight wine.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I love my local Aussie beers, and don't mind Southern Comfort. Wines I have no particular taste for, although I prefer reds far more than whites.

5. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

I like purple wine and water for an extra strong hit.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I think I've mentioned before that I really only like hard liquor. I don't drink beer. Whiskey is disgusting, but that fire in your belly is an interesting enough experience to warant a shot every now and then, Tequilla is fun that way too. Absolut Vodka is my favorite though, its got very little taste, and still gets me into that happy place. Plus it mixes well with orange juice.

I don't really drink to get drunk, I drink to get to the point where if I had 2 more shots I'd be drunk. My limit at a party is like... a quart of whisky/vodka/tequilla. I'm a big guy, and that much alcohol will keep me smiling for the 2-3 hours I'm socializing.

7. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Sigurd, I love that fact that, though I can agree with you on almost nothing, we have at least Shadowrun and alcohol. I love most of the beers you mentioned, though I like the hoppier stuff from the same breweries. For instance, from Rogue I like Mogul, and from Victory, Hop Devil. See if you can find McEwan's Scotch Ale. Not the export, which is cheaper and worse, but the red six pack with the tartan that doesn't say export. I used to buy it when I lived in Morristown, NJ, so you should be able to find it near you. I think you'll dig it. 9% and massive complexity of flavors.

you made me nostalgic for all those good beers you can't get in Europe. Because of nationalistic beer pride, the Microbeer thing really hasn't caught on in central europe. Americans aren't proud of Bud, so there's no issues holding them back from experimenting.

Makers Mark is great, but give Knob Creek and Bookers a try. Knob is my favorite small batch these days. I tend to use Makers for mixing Manhattans and Old Fashioneds.

BTW, proof is twice the number of ABV. So 60 proof is 30%. Thus, Bacardi 151 (151 proof) is 75.5% alcohol, not 302%.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote that it was a form of wine. As for straight wines, I've never found anything that's appealed to me. But I'm not Italian either, am I? :)

*Full of national pride*

True man, it really ain't bad.

Thors Hammer and Finlandia are two other nice vodkas, by the way.

9. jankiel

jankiel Member

Sobieski vodka all the way.

And me favourite Beefeater Dry Gin - quality,style and history

And tequila is evil I say!

10. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Beefeater, man, you sound like a marketing ploy. Unfortunately, in central europe, it's hard to find good gins like Tanqueray Ten or Bombay Sapphire.

11. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Well, apparently we both have discerning tastes with the finer things in life.
    I just think it's great that you actually drink beer from the same companies, and even know they exist. Victory and Middle Ages are both located in Syracuse, so most people not in New York have no idea. I haven't had Hop Devil yet, but that's next on my list, along with Druid Fluid. I'll look for the McEwan's next time I'm at Sam the Beer Man, my local gourmet beer shop.

Those Euros just don't know what they're missing.

We damn well shouldn't be proud of Bud! 2.5% alcohol? What's that shit?

Makers Mark is great, but give Knob Creek and Bookers a try. Knob is my favorite small batch these days. I tend to use Makers for mixing Manhattans and Old Fashioneds.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I reversed the order. I meant that Maker's Mark is 90 proof, meaning 45% ABV. Damn, 90% would turn me blind.

12. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Blargh! I've had glogg! nasty stuff! tastes like Yak piss!* when it comes to drinks, I don't like beer, and I'll quote Captain Jack Sparrow: "But where's the rum?" I love rum, especially rum cake... tain't nothin else that tastes as good as a freshly made rum cake. :)

*I myself haven't tasted yak piss, but I imagine it tastes either similar, or better than glogg.

13. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

I have never been much of a beer drinker, but I do occasionally have a few. like when someone else is paying/buying, or I aint got much $$. so as far as beers go I usually drink dark beers or drafts. I like Heineken Special Dark which surprised me the first time as it is quite good for a dark beer, and it is made by Heineken. Duvel and Presidente are rather good. aside from imports, I like to try the beers brewed by the different states in the US.

I have always been a huge fan of whisky/whiskey and really do not drink any liquor or hard alcohol that is not brown. My favorite is hands down Jack Daniel's Tennessee Old No. 7 Brand Whiskey!!! :thumbup: :) if you do not know there is much more than just the regular. (12 in fact under the JD label) a good Scotch whiskey is always good too, as long as it has depth, aroma, and nice palate.

as far as wines go (usually only at work or christmas) I much prefer reds, especially merlots. I like good full bodied wines, slightly peppery, and not noe of them pansy ass fruity wines or whites, that are dry

14. jankiel

jankiel Member

I've got to make a living eh.
    Beer is good to.

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

You know, in terms of my least favorite form of alcohol, it would have to be every beer I've tried up to this point. What you foreigners say about American beer must be true. Budweiser is gross, Bud Light is gross, Miller Light is disgusting, (i havent tried MGD some say its good but who knows?), and my absolute least favorite of all is Coors Lite. Coors Lite is absolutely rancid.

16. jankiel

jankiel Member

Try Carlsberg good Danish beer.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah. Carlsberg make good beer. You should try Sort Guld, if you haven't already. As beer goes, it's pretty decent.

Oh, and Sleek, I don't agree with you regarding Millers, and Matt, I sent a bounty hunter your way just before I came to submit this reply. Glögg is a sacred thing, and all heathens must be dealt with accordingly. :lol:

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Try dead. Metho (aka methylated spirits) is 98% pure alcohol, and about 10ml is probably enough to get most people drunk. Above that, and you run a serious risk of killing yourself.

Also, Carlsberg isn't that great. I've had it, and haven't been too impressed. Also, their slogan is more than a little arrogant :).

19. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

:hump: I live 60 miles away from where they make.... McEwan?s 70/- and 80/- and McEwan?s Lager

i know a lot of drinkers. they all dislike most american beers.

:hump: When I was 16 I got a bit or work experience in a scotch bottling plant. :D And, no, I am not being sarcastic or lying.

20. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

The whole point of what I said is that the best American beer (the microbrews) never gets to Europe. Thus the "don't know what they are missing."

Our Host!