Experience points

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blunder, May 28, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blunder

Blunder New Member

I have notice something strange about experience points that for now is working in my favour. My char and Virgil are both at lvl 31. I picked up Sogg when I was 28th lvl. Just like any game in the RPG genre, one needs more and more exp points to hit the next lvl and Arcanum is no exception.

What I have noticed though is Sogg started at lvl 2 and needed 2400 exp to hit lvl 3 and that didn't happen so it appears your sidekicks only lvl when you do. I then started paying more attention to Virgil. On his stat screen, it is listed that he needs something like 374,000 exp points to hit the next lvl while my char needs <30K to hit lvl 32 and this was at the start of the lvl.

Is my char just getting very fortunate here or is there a balancing issue? Based on other RPGs, both p&p and computer, Virgil's exp lvling numbers seem a bit more realistic than the low numbers that my char needs to advance. I would prefer to only need 30K per lvl compared to 374K, but it doesn't seem right.

2. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Somebody said that you follower levels up when you do. So if you pick Sogg when you had level thirty something and Sogg had level 2, he will stop leveling when you get to 50. I could be wrong thou :grin:

3. Blunder

Blunder New Member

I believe that I have read something to that effect also. I'm more curious about about what the game says Vitgil needs to hit lvl 32 compared to what my char needs to go to lvl 32 with. 374K for Virg and <30K for me. That's a lot of discrepancy.

4. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Could you explain that a little better because Virgil has always had the same required xp as my main has all throughout the demo...

5. Blunder

Blunder New Member

Virg advances when I do so that has never been a problem. Where I see a problem is on our respective character sheets. On Virg's it is listed that he needs about 374K more exp to get to the next lvl. When I look at my char sheet it is listed as myself only needing <30k exp to get to the next lvl. I have just reached this lvl and haven't played into it. I can send a save game to someone if they want to see what I'm talking about.

I know the game works like this, but why is it that Sogg advances at the same rate as Virg and myself? If his char sheet says that he only needs 8k worth of exp to get to the next lvl, why does he have to wait until I get another 30k of exp before he can go up? When I first picked him up, I was around lvl 26. Sogg would gain exp a lot faster than my char would.

6. Matthew

Matthew New Member

I'm pretty sure the NPC screen tells what their total experience would have to be for the next level. Since they never gain experience, their experience value remains at 0, even though they gain levels as you do. So basically, that huge figure you see would be what a first level character with no experience would need to hit 32nd level or whatever. Your own discounts all the experience you've gotten so far and just says how much more you need to have to level up. If you added everything up, I imagine it would work out.

7. Blunder

Blunder New Member

That thought looks good on paper. I'll pay attention to what the numbers would look like tallied up on my next char.

While we are talking about experience points, does everybody need the same amount of exp to lvl or will the various char classes need different amounts?

8. stravaig

stravaig New Member

Blunder -
    Nope, everyone is going to need the exact same to level up, regardless of Race, Sex, Skills, Aptitude, Background, Etc.
    There are some modifiers to this, though:
    The Nietzsche (sp?) Poster Child background gives you a bonus to XP. You still need to the same to level up, but you gain it faster.
    The difficulty level will change how much XP you gain. On Easy, you will level up faster (you still need the same # of XP to level up, though).
    Finally, if you've got followers with you, they will 'suck away' XP when they hit your opponents. They get the XP for the hit, not you. You'll get the XP for the kill, even if they kill it. So, a diplomat with a lot of followers who do his fighting for him will level up more slowly (and so will his followers, oddly enough).

- Stravaig

9. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

what stravaig wrote.

why they level up when you do is to keep them with your party, otherwise sogg would level up quicker then the diplomat, and leave the party when he is 10 levels higher then the PC, something like that anyway.

its not really true that they level up when you do either, is it? to my knowlage they level up when you do, if they got the same level as you, or lower. On the other hand if they have a higher level they will only start level up after you have reached that level.

10. Blunder

Blunder New Member

How the character lvling aspect of the game is implemented is about the only thing I really don't like. There are some other things too, but they are mostly little and everybody has something small that they don't like about a game.

With the lvling though, when it says a character needs 1200 exp to get to the next lvl, that is all they should need. When I first picked up Sogg, I was around lvl 26 and was needing around 28K to go up. If Sogg hadn't been out adventuring before, that is indicative of him only needing 1200 exp pts at the time for the next lvl, then it wouldn't take much fighting for him to gain that exp. If he only needs the 1200 pts to advance, why does he have to wait for me to gain thousands of exp pts?

Just like our own PC in the beginning, he would start off leveling fast and would start to catch up quickly in actual lvls of experience and then that would start to slow down as he became a more experienced NPC.

When someone is up there in lvls, they will naturally need more points to advance as they take longer to learn new things, but the way leveling is implemented here, it is almost like a penalty to a low lvl char that joins a party of higher lvl chars because he has to wait for someone 20x better than himself advance before he can.

This definitely won't stop me from getting the game by any stretch of the imagination, but this is one thing I feel should have been done differently.

11. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

well the problem is that you get XP for certain actions, and as a fighter do get more then a pure diplomat, a fighter NPC would end up leaving the party when he gets too high.

i would like it to be so that if the NPC had a lower level then you, he would level up either as set in his profile, or at the same pace as you once did at that level.

thus he could manage to get closer to you, if not almost reach up to the same level in the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monkeypunch on 2001-05-31 14:03 ]</font>

Our Host!