Editing inventory?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Koson, Sep 7, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Koson

Koson New Member

Is it possible to edit the inventory / add items to a character? If yes, how can it be done? I've downloaded a Character Editor, but all it lets you do is change the stats / character points / skills & spells / evil/good and magick/technology meters. I want to start a new game and would like to have a Small Barbarian Armor ready for when my PC will meet Magnus (it's neutral, better than leather, and way lighter than chain or plate, plus looks good on a dwarf :p ), but the only way of getting one I know of is starting the game as a dwarf/gnome/halfling with the Barbarian background (which doesn't fit the char I have in mind). If it ain't possible to add one to the inventory, is there any location in the game where you can find / buy / loot one?

2. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The simple answer to your question is no you can't edit the character's inventory unless you find a character editor that will let you do it and i've never seen one that will nor do i want to.

The more accurate, complete, and complex answer is that there is a way to do what you want to do at the very beginning of a new game. What you have to do is edit an existing or create a new background. If you look around just a bit you will find other posts that will give you tips and links to guides on background editing and even tools to help you with them. There is a guide on it at Dimensions of Arcanum. You should also get both an undat utility and DJ_Unique's mes editor utility to help you extract and edit the necessary files., both of which can be downloaded here at TA in the Modding Tools section. You'll find the specific item numbers for the armor that you want in the description.mes file, so be sure to undat that along with the three files you have to edit for the background.

Another alternative is to modify your InvenSource.mes file to include that specific armor in an existing inventory so that you will be able to get it by looting or buying it from an existing inventory source. Again, you will need the two utilities I mentioned above to get the two files out of the appropriate Dat files, Arcanum3.dat and Arcanum4.dat, I believe, and then edit them. Once done, place the modified InvenSource.mes file in your Sierra\Arcanum\data\Rules directory and you will be all set. If you have applied the InvenSource Hack, you won't have to undat the file, just modify the one that is already in that directory. A word of advice. Always make a backup copy of any mes file before editing it! Keep the undatted copy of description.mes in a directory called Sierra\Arcanum\Extras as a reference because you will need it any time you make any future changes. :)

3. Koson

Koson New Member

Thanks! I've followed your advice and created a new background which gave my half-elven mage a Small Dark Barbarian Armor, and now his pal Magnus competes with Virgil (wearing Dread Armor) in "the most barbaric look" contest :p .

4. MistWeaver

MistWeaver New Member

Hello.

May be someone can help me, it seems I cant edit inventory.

I want: To add a gun (6044) to Kite Shaman's inventory instead of knife.

What I do:
    1) Copy InvenSource.mes to \Arcanum\data\Rules\
    2) Edit shaman line to make it look like this:
    {84}{Kite Shaman: -10,20 100,6044}

But when I start a new game, kite shaman (one that near crashed zeppelin) still has knife and no gun.

I also tried to give Kite Warrior's inventory to Kite Scout:
    1) I added folowing line to InvenSource.mes
    {501}{Kite Scout: -10,20 100,6178}
    2) Added following line to Kite Scout settings in unique.txt.
    Inventory Source: 501

And still nothing. However when I change Kite's stats in unique.txt - these changes work.
    It looks as if engine is ignoring my InvenSource.mes

Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance.

5. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Cool,

I didn't realize there was small barbarian armor in the game! There are four types, 3 are magic and 1 is tech (incl. red, bronze and dread). Some of the stats are identical. So I added one to the inventory source of the Wheel Clan Smithy and small dread armor to the inventory source of the Caladon Dwarf Smithy.

Our Host!