Drog's Extra Pack

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 29, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Drog Black Tooth has found some schematics in Arcanum that weren't included in the original game. Rather than including them in his <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/fixes/UAP080523.exe">Great Arcanum Fix</a>, he's created an "Extra Pack". Here's the scoop:
    <blockquote>OVERVIEW:
    I've decided to make a small patch to restore some of the important cut out content. For the first release, it will have five restored schematics. Since the content was partially cut out (or was never made completely due to the time constraints) this will be released as a separate pack, the so called "Extra Pack", which must be used in conjunction with the UAP. The pack can be also uninstalled at any moment.

CHANGES:
    -Charged Axe is restored.
    -Schreck's Multi Barreled Pistol is restored.
    -Clockwork Physician, Illuminated Decoy and Explosive Decoy are restored.</blockquote>
    <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/fixes/UAPEXP080527.exe">You can download the patch here</a>. Now I quoted the whole thing, so hopefully Drog won't get butthurt this time. You can follow <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24419">the thread over on the Codex</a> if you have any suggestions.

Thanks <b>Drog</b>! Keep up the good work!

2. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I've never played with anything more than 1074 patch so I'm not really keen on how Arcanum patches work. If this thing is separate from his bigger patch, can they still be applied at the same time? Or do I have to choose one or the other?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The Extra Pack is made to work on top of the Arcanum Patch, and is dependant upon it for correct function.

You can use the Arcanum Patch by itself, but not the Extra Pack.

4. team a

team a New Member

I know TONGSyaBASS did most of this years ago, but when I asked him about it, he said he was still in the process of compiling it, as he's been busy. It's good to see the decoys finally released.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Now I actually get to use that stuff in-game without adding it to a character with a background.

6. team a

team a New Member

how/why would you use a background to add extra content?

7. Grossenschwamm

The items are already in the game (therefore not extra content), so you just add the proto number to your character's background. Besides, have you ever NOT wanted to use Schreck's Multi-Barrel pistol? What about seeing how the physician and two decoys work?

8. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

And now for the irony:
    :lol: I bet Drog had his reasons for his nazi policy on news posts.

9. Grossenschwamm

I don't know about your version, but my Arcanum has a fully working explosive decoy/illuminated decoy. The physician never worked for me, and neither did the multi-barreled pistol. I figured it was the same for everyone.
    I put the proto numbers into my background, and the physician crashed my game. The pistol just acted like a fancy pistol.
    Don't start poking fun because you think you've found a hole. That makes you look like you want to start trouble.

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

The items are in the game as in: they exist in the game files. They just don't show up in-game. So I don't see any irony at all.

11. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Well, since you say so, I bet you don't mind backing up your words with some proof, eh? I'd like to see some screenshots of working decoys in the vanilla 1.0.7.4 game. Show me your method.

The decoys (all extra 3) were never finished (no creature prototypes, no scripts). The pistol had wrong stats. The Charged Axe had no schematic. I understood as much by just following the link.

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Yes it had. I've played unpatched until today, and I've always been able to buy the Charged Axe schematic.

13. Xz

Without a prototype it couldn't have had any stats since the stats are in the proto-files. Also, the content was in the game, if you gathered different from reading the link you've either misunderstood, or been deceived. (Granted some of the items may not have had correct images and or the likes, and therefore used other/wrong images, and more correct images may have been produced and added.) Wrong stats? Not unlikely, but that's called bugs, not new features.

14. Grossenschwamm

Nah. When I posted my comment about working decoys, I had been delirious from throwing up since about 6 in the morning. The decoys show up for me, they just don't do anything but sit there working like clockwork decoys (and don't crash my game).
    I'd like to see anyone make more sense than I did after not being able to re-hydrate themselves for 11 hours.
    But yes, the items are already in the game. If they weren't there, there wouldn't be a way to set them up in WorldEd. The chances of them working as intended, however, are pretty slim, since there's no way to legitimately get them in the game.
    Besides, if all you're going to do here is act like a resplendent cock to me because my Arcanum behaves slightly different from yours, I'd like to see you stop. Not everyone suffers from the same bugs in the game, so why would I not be able to have something in my game called an explosive decoy that works as if it's just clockwork, i.e. it's just called the wrong thing?

15. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

No.

HA! HA! HA!

16. Xz

Fully working and working as the developers intended is not the necessarily the same.

Fully working can mean that they do have an effect and they don't crash the game.

17. team a

team a New Member

The other decoys were definitely not in the game, not as usable items. The other decoys were items, but they lacked the protos and scripts that turned them into critters (or NPCS) on deploy. Rather, they would simply become a different NPC (like a regular clockwork, or how the automaton gunner just became a regular automaton). They needed schematcs, schematic protos, critter/NPC protos, changes to their item proto that attached the scripts that turned them into those NPCs on deploy, scripts to turn them back into the carryable item, all of that. The art for the critters was already there only in that each NPC has 4 color palattes, and the other 3 were created but not made into usable critters. And the stats are stored in critter.mes or npc.mes, whichever Drog used (I'd guess the former).

These are, really, incomplete projects. They bridge the span between new content and bug fixes, because what to add for stats and for schematic text has to be added, and whoever tackles this challenge has to make these determinations. No, it wasn't Drog's idea to have an illuminated decoy et al. but without a fix, these are USELESS, unless your sexual fantasy involves an item that is exactly the same as another item but has a different name and doesn't deploy into anything. Honestly, I'd just give Belle a visit, it's much more worth your while.

18. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

You guys are arguing semantics.

1. The Charged Axe is, at least according to GameBanshee, in the game as an existing weapon.

• Charged Axe
      Category: Melee
      Aptitude: Technological
      Statistics: 1-12 HD, 1-9 FT, 20-30 ED, 5 SP, 120 WE, 100 QU
    As such, adding the prototype number to a background will give the item to you. Drog / Elder Joachim is correct though, in that the item had no schematic and as such, couldn't be built.

2. The Decoys, Physician and Shreck's Multi-Barrelled Pistol do have schematics (you can find them listed under the schematic heading). As such, editing a background to give you the schematics will allow you to get them in the game. Whether they work or not I won't get into (though I do vaguely recall adding Automaton Gunner's to a mod I was working on and finding out they didn't "gun" at all). There is also a weapon entry for "Schreck's Pistol" but as far as I recall, isn't in the game through normal methods.

Xz and Grossenschwamm are therefore technically correct that the items are, at least in some fashion or another, "in the game" (or at least, in the game's code already) and as such, can be given in a background (which is what Grossenschwamm is saying he did). However, THEY DID NOT WORK CORRECTLY (excepting Charged Axe) and so Drog / Elder Joachim is correct in that they neither worked properly nor had correct details, nor where they available in the game through normal means.

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Besides, there already are backgrounds that give you certain pieces of equipment, like Child of a Hero and Clanless Dwarf. It's not some kind of miracle.

20. Grossenschwamm

Did I not just explain to you my situation? I'm struggling to keep everything I drink down in my stomach, and you expect me to make sense? I even admitted that I was batshit crazy when I said the decoys worked.

Our Host!