Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zanza, Mar 10, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Day 1 DLC (all newer Bioware titles)
    DLC that was shipped on the disk but requires payment to access (Bioshock 2)
    Preorder DLC
    TF2 hats

2. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

You forgot the DLC that were actually part of the game proper, but ripped out to make more money (Mafia 2)

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

If only the game was as good as this song

4. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Commander Shepard was more my style. Still, it was surprisingly good!

Also, just started up as a Rogue. Will probably go with a mix of dual-wielding, sabotage and scoundrel. Might actually work out pretty well.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Apparently Archer is the best DPS alongside with Sebastian if you got him. Finished as a warrior and a mage, don't know if I have a third playthrough in me however I did at least start one as a rogue archer.

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

If DA2 is anything like DA, staying power of the party is much more important than DPS

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Several playthroughs? You guys are crazy. Why replay it at all, when it's extremely linear? Yes, you are often given "choices", but they all lead to exactly the same outcome.

The high amount of filler is what irritates me the most. Take a quest, go to the same recycled dungeon (there's only a few actually different dungeon maps in the game and they get recycled to hell and back), kill waves of trash mobs that spawn behind your party right out of thin air. Positioning is irrelevant, buffing is non-existent, tanks and mages are completely optional. All you have to do is click on the mobs until they die. The bosses are especially irritating since they have really huge health bars and killing them is such a chore.

The plot premise is OK, but the writing is really terrible. The game takes itself way too seriously, to the point where it becomes extremely silly.

There's only one good companion in the game, Varric. All others are freaks. I've no idea who thought that Isabela's endless STD jokes were funny.

I just got to Act 3 and I don't really want to continue playing.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I was surprised because Varric was the first Dwarf in any game/story/movie that I actually liked. I remember in Awakening when I saw the female dwarf in the Deeproads I immediately said to myself no. She asked if she could join me and it gave me great pleasure to choose the most condescending no option there was.

9. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHseWNr7iKk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHseWNr7iKk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

10. Charonte

Charonte Member

Okay, so I retract all of my previous statements about people's expectations about the game.

I just forced myself through a playthough and it's utter trash.

Sure, some of the sidequests are interesting and the premise is interesting enough for atypical dramatic bioware smack, but it's so bug filled (I hit up isabella once and then she fucks off because I demanded she give the tome back and she's the only one that "stays with me" in the epilogue?!), so awfully written and so fucking lacking in content that I'm left wondering if they didn't just hand the licenses over to one of the 13 year old kids on GD.net that make around 40 posts each about their MMO and how awesome it's going to be.

Alright, so that might be a little harsh - to be honest I did enjoy the whole qunari -> viscount conflict and the interactions with the chantry (as an apostate), atleast for a while. Most of the time the game made no goddamn sense because characters would carry on about things that hadn't even happened yet. That and how virtually the entire story was centered around a fucking red barbie doll that was found in a grave, that we know nothing about (ever) and yet somehow still gets turned into a sword by some psycho ala DragonballZ. That's "depth", right?

Seriously though, I'm half tempted to through the disc in a fire. For now I'm going back to the Witcher for another run through before the sequel, atleast it looks like they haven't entirely fucked that one over (apart from Geralt's face)

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

12. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't even finish the game. Got distracted by Shogun 2 and each time I think about playing it now I throw up a little bit in my mouth.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I managed two playthroughs to confirm it would be the same no matter my choices. I am a huge fan of the original shogun but I am finding the loading times in 2 to just be too annoying. haven't been able to get into the game. Hopefully with a bit of time I'll get into the mood for it.

14. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

I uninstalled it at the beginning of Act 3 when I realized the game wanted me to do all Sundermount's locations YET AGAIN. Go to the Wounded Coast, kill bandits. Go to the Bone Pit, kill monsters. Go to the elven tribe and kill stuff there too, just like in the previous acts. Then I had to go to that endlessly recycled cave dungeon and kill Varterral again. I said fuck this shit and uninstalled. The combat is absolutely terrible with its 'enemies spawn around you out of thin air' thing, and there's lots of it, no matter where you go. The number of unique locations is abysmally small, so there's basically no joy of exploration in the game, only tedium.

Yes, tedium. That would be a good description of the game.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

Not enough to notice. Drank my last three cans and couldn't be arsed finding anything else. The frothing at the mouth was (this time) caused by the sheer stupidity of DA2's endind, I mean seriously.

Starting to really look forwards to TW2 though, I'm not usually a candy whore but this is looking pretty sweet if they keep their promises about not "streamlining" and keeping it a hardcore CRPG: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1

On the other hand, this more or less sums up my thoughts on DA2:
    [​IMG]

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

17. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

I can't be arsed going through the whole thread to find out what you guys just said. But basically:

1. Just because Mass Effect did it, you don't need to do it too. It was nice having a whole range of options in dialogue rather than just "good" "neutral" "bad". I liked insulting Morrigan in the baddest way possible.
    2. Did anybody mention that you can't be anything else other than a human?
    3. Dude, seriously, it's either a prequel or a sequel. Playing the same timeline bores me.
    4. The new fighting effects are AWESOME!! It's a lot smoother and seamless now, but I do wish you can order your attacks in advance, rather than pausing to select the ONE THING THAT HASN'T RELOADED YET, JEEZ.

I haven't played that far in yet (prac has caught up with me YET AGAIN) but I've played through DA O several times already. I'm a little scared about trying out being a mage, though. I hate getting hit.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah everything you said was either covered in my review or the comments that followed. Mage was actually fun.

19. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Admittedly I'm new here, but... aren't you supposed to have left this forum?

20. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

No, that was Xiao Caity. If she decided to come back, she would almost certainly start a new thread to herald her return.

Our Host!