Does anyone actually use real time combat mode?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by PekkaM, Dec 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Pidgeon

Pidgeon New Member

I find real time to be my favourite way of playing, I really find turn based much to boring and slow. Real time is where the adrenaline lies. And what's REAL fun is to go round Tarant in real time with a Mechanized Gun and mow down whoever you come across.

2. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

Yeah? I use FTB all the time. Actually I mean ALL THE TIME! RT trips around Tarant r too slow! But try to use FTB, turn combat mode on... Couple of turns (for example from Boil) and you are near Bates "cottage" (u need higher speed than 15)! Just imagine! Such a speed! Oh, I forgot. Once because of this way of move, I killed 2 traders 4 guards and 9 doors. So BE AWARE! And allways turn off combat mode before talk (if u wanna try it)!

3. trobs

trobs New Member

I found a nice use for RTC. I have a mage with NO melee skills at all. When this mage fatigues an enemy to a big minus number, I have to do something to finish killing it. In TBC, if my mage kicks the fatigued enemy, I gradually kill it, but I also lose a dangerous amount of fatigue. But if I switch to RTC, the kicks are handled automatically for me, and I actually GAIN fatigue points during the kicking.

(For the same reason, enemies can recover from fatigue and start fighting again during RTC.)

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

How do you fatigue an enemy with spells?

And why bother, if you can Harm them to death?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

re

most spells have fatigue damage. harm does too, but I find that spell rather cheep and dont use it much, it takes the fun out of playing. Because, if you have 20 fatigue potions, and go into a combat, in turn based, then, you know you will win, and if its looking bad, you use the charm animals (or creatures i dont remember which) spell, and then the fight is over. if you are fighting a person, use charm, and its over too. I think being a mage just really defeats the purpose of playing.

6. xie

xie New Member

In real time melee people have an advantage. CHEAP! :-x

7. floyd

floyd New Member

Gravediggin' eh?

Ah well: I always use TB. I like to think about what I'm going to do, figure out some sort of strategy.
    RT is too hectic imo.

8. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

On my 733 meghetez pent 3 computer RT combat is too fast for me to use.

9. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

IMHO there are TWO situations where Real Time is really the best choice:

If you're playing SOLO (i.e. no followers), and you have good skill with a BOW, THROWINg, or FIREARMS...and you're in a place with a lot of "armor/weapon damagers" (i.e. Fire creatures, rock creatures, etc.,.)...they're great cos you can keep them at a distance

-THROWING for groups of creatures
    -Pistol for small groups
    -BOW for single creatures (kind like using the Bow of the Bear as an Archer in Diablo, against the Butcher)

The second situation would be when you want to break something open fast (either yourself or with follower)

10. Arronax

Arronax New Member

If anyones stuck just use a speed potion then turnbased combat

I completed arcanum twice before my friend told me that turn-based combat existed

11. Neoman

Neoman New Member

I've been playing Arcanum on and off for years and never found a need for turn-based combat.

...even when I'm not using edited characters :-D

12. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

i felt a sleep once in TBS and lost the battle from there on i have never used TBS...

13. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Yeah turn-based is rubbish! Haven't you people ever heard or SEEN the quick item slots? :???:

14. akybo

akybo New Member

Did u ever played this game ?

15. chuft

chuft New Member

One odd thing I have noticed is that NPC and monster behavior is very different when in real-time mode (like before I manage to hit the R button, or before a monster gets too close to me). As an example Sebastian will only throw stun grenades in those real-time moments before the fight switches to real-time mode. And molten arachnids will only throw fireflashes at me (and they throw like three in a row, bastards) in the seconds they are scuttling towards me before it enters turn-based mode.

I feel like the game's combats would be a lot more interesting if the monsters and followers would do all the same stuff in turn-based that they do in real-time. This is a serious bug and helps explain why the game is so easy in turn-based. The enemies never use their special powers.

16. akybo

akybo New Member

17. EyeOfFire

EyeOfFire New Member

I use RT as well. TB is just too damn slow, and you can play as a mage in RT, you just wait until they surround you and keep casting fireflash until they're all dead. I too have dozed off during TB - RT is just so much more exciting and REALISTIC - is an enemy is not going to run towards you and stop, saying'".... er... mate are you gonna attack me?" no, hes going to bolt towards you and beat you shitless.

18. Malcius

Malcius New Member

I also use real time mode almost all the time, I find it allows me to attack and kill my enemies that much faster, however sometimes it works in the enemies favor, so then turn based slows them down long enough for me to think more. Each of them have their uses at different times I think.

19. grafiak

grafiak New Member

real time

I use real time most of the time because if you have a fast weapon you can use manuevering to fight one enemy at a time. Like one of you said before arrows and bullets miss, but if you're using a fast melee weapon it works great becuase you attack them faster than they attack you, therefore you do more damage faster then if they got a turn which they would in turn based.

20. tAK

tAK New Member

no offense mate, but: Bah what a load of piffle... i have played this game on a p4 2.8... thats WELL above minimum spec... and i only EVER use RT mode... partly because i was a huger diablo player (always realtime) before arcanum... but also because i have a VERY fast weapon.. and although it may be stupid to you, i have a dwarf trained as a smith/electrical character..

i use the same sword that i made in shrouded hills to play my way through the entire game... or at least until i can get my hands on the stillwater blade (i dont gain its magic abilities due to tech)

this character performs very well in real time.. i have played right upto the void (i blame microsoft for not getting further)...

so RT all the way

Our Host!