Does anyone actually use real time combat mode?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by PekkaM, Dec 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

2. trobs

trobs New Member

Labyrinthian is Right On about chess. Imagine, if you had make all your deicisions in an entire game of Arcanum in five hours (those hours timed whenever it was your turn to fight or do something). You coud make some slow decisions, but eventually you might be frantic for time. That's the way grandmaster chess works.

As a chaeeplayer I'm more comfy in TBC than RTC, and I used it entirely with my gunslinger. But now I have a boomerang-throwing mage, and it seems to me she can throw relly fast in RTC, While I cast spells to heal her concurrently. Seems like a good deal, for some combats at least.

3. BitterSweet

BitterSweet New Member

Actully, I use a varity of Players, you see, It is my eternal shame that I have never finished a game. I usually use a thief/gunslinger or I make a "leach on socity". basicly someone with no combat skills, but good persausion, gambling and haggling. Then I get a bunch of followers and they do all the fighting for me. Sometimes I do a magic or smith type character, But I find I'm partial to the ways of thievery and gunsmithy.
    ...maybe a sign of what's to come in my life?

4. Mandrake42

Mandrake42 New Member

I use turn based. Ive just always preffered it. I like to think about what Im going to do, consider my actions. Real time is just too frenetic. Im a control freak ;)

5. Johee

Johee New Member

I play real time exclusively. I'm just not a turn-based person I guess. Turn-based combat doesn't feel like combat to me when I play it. The craziness and quickness of real time is just more exciting for me. I also don't have much patience, so I have no problem sacrificing strategy for speed in combat, as I don't want a fight to last a really long time.

Of course I understand the merit of turn-based, I just don't use it myself.

6. Pyradius

Pyradius New Member

Turn Based

Been playing primarily spellcasters, and I find the game is only playable this way, at least on my system. Perhaps it is because my system is something of a beast, but enemies will practically fly into melee range within seconds; there is no way I could reliably blast them with my spells before they wind up beating on me.

Actually I think it boiled down to me being pretty anal-retentive about my gear getting damaged...I could still spell blast any opponent regardless of them hitting me, it's not like this game has spellcasting concentration checks.

7. defiance_of_one

defiance_of_one New Member

I always use real time, as a matter of fact, I have never even tried to play Arcanum in the turn based mode, maybe I SHOULD CHECK IT OUT? :D

8. darkllama

darkllama New Member

well, i have ALWAYS used real time. turn based is too slow and weird, and i get killed.

9. Baal

Baal New Member

I always use real time. It's just more fun.

10. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Did u ever noticed that the game is easier in real time mode??? I always use it (u get less damage from enemies)

11. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Well, it's only good if you're a gunman or a character that uses a sword or melee weapon for their main source of combat. You try casting a spell while some monkey is beating you to death. :/

12. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Real time is good if your character is fast and you know you are going to kick ass. But if you are fighting a really tough character who in all likelyhood going to badass you, then turn-based is a good option. Why? If you attack first, you get to spend as many action points as you have before they can retaliate. If you have high Speed, or a super-powerful weapon, you can then put in enough blows to kill the bastard before he badasses you with just a few blows, which he would be able to first before you could if it was in real-time.

13. Baal

Baal New Member

To be a Backstab/Prowling/Melee master in turn based is so cool. If you get attacked you just run behind the basted and stab him in the back, dead in one shot. in real-time he would have turned around. Witches dagger is best for this +1 range.

14. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

How, exactly? I don't remember this being true under any circumstance.

15. Bah

Bah New Member

Does anyone use realtime cambat

I'v been playing arcanum for a long time and I'v gotten very use to real time combat, sure it's harder, but it raises the action level for the game.

16. explosion

explosion New Member

Turn-based all the time.
    I think Diablo was the closest thing to RPG I've ever played in real-time.
    When my character felt the urge to steal and had no lockpick skill, I used to destroy various doors and containers with a tool called Rusty Dagger. That's when real-time combat came useful..

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Man, you need to play Sacred. :)

18. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Not that much of a grievance at this place though. This is a fairly slow forum. We can be a lot more generous here than at other sections.

20. Ephetat

Ephetat New Member

Real time combat, IMHO, is very fast to the point of being unplayable. It should be toned down somehow.

As I am playing a backstabber thief with the Stun spell (= 1 hit death), turn based is the way to go for me. :)

Our Host!