Does anyone actually use real time combat mode?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by PekkaM, Dec 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well that IS the point behind timed chess. I mean, if you have 30 seconds to make a move it isn't eactly real time, but it is more realistic. What it really comes down to is whether you want a more thrilling adrenaline filled game, yea right, if you're looking for that play Goldeneye, or a more relaxing one.

2. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Championship chess is by no means relaxing. The extra time just make strategizing more intense. Chessmasters play timed chess to relax, since they don't have to think as hard.

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

On the topic of combat types, I always use turn-based, then, after my time is up, I'll switch it to real time to get the last lick. You know, you can change it by pressing the space bar...

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

That would be interesting to see implemented in a turn based rpg... a time limit on turns. They've had those in the worms games since the first one, but they'd have to make the interface pretty easy to use. I for one hate these circle menu thingys they've had in neverwinter nights and ToEE, give me the baldur's gate tool bar over those darn concentric circles any day. They make my head spin. :p

5. ste1983

ste1983 New Member

i like turn based, simply because it is easier and my pc is crappy and slow
    even on a basic looking game like arcanum lol

6. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

I start battle first with turn base, when my moves are used up, i switch fast to real time combat and finish the enemy before he hit me 8)

I realy don't like when some low level monsters even bite me for 1-5 damage :x !!!!!!!!!!

Than I turn to blodlust and destroy them all :p

7. trobs

trobs New Member

Sleek_Jeek asked: "How much fun would chess be in real time? At least it would be more realistic."

I've played chess where both players are simply allowed to move as fast as they can (in no particular order). It's pretty wild fun, but not as good as TB chess.

8. trobs

trobs New Member

I almost always use TBC, but interestingly you sometimes HAVE to switch to RTC (briefly).

You can get "stuck" in situations where you have used up your TBC action units but the game refuses to continue, even if you click the right arrow. RTC cures this.

You can also get hedged in by your followers, unable to move. A quick foray into RTC cures this, too.

9. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I can't be bothered reading all the replies so I'm going to assume this thread is still on topic. I love playing real time. Sure turn based is easier, but it seems to take a bit of the excitement away. I use real time pretty much all the time, excpet when i play a mage.

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, it takes too long for a mage to pick spells in real-time.

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

there's also the fact that throwing moltov cocktails in TB doesn't cost action points... makes the boil beyond rediculously easy to defeat.

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Hey, molotov cocktails are nowhere near as effective as harm, or congeal time.

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

14. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Really? I don't think so. Being able to throw an almost unlimited number of Molotovs with their area damage compensates quite well for lack of sheer killing power. If only they also gave experience for hits...

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Trust me, you can only carry so many molotovs. If you were strong enough to be able to carry say, 100 molotovs, you'd be crazy to make them your main weapon. I like to use guns so i usually keep my strength around 9 or 10, and its usually not worth it to carry more than 25, and its also a real pain to run around finding all the parts for them. Between sojourns 25 is usually all the molotovs i have patience for making. I only really use them to break up groups, or to blast baddies away from me when they get to close for comfort. They are very useful, but I'd much rather be able to haste myself, congeal time, and then blast everyone with my looking glass rifle an infinite amount of times.

16. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

I have once played with a molotov coctail thrower (wearing a 50 coctails with me) and on level 10 you can kill the strongest enemies because almost every time koktail explode they move away from you.

Of corse with such a character is better to play turn-based :)

17. Bozos of Bones

Bozos of Bones New Member

Anyone try using Plastique w/ detonator in combat?
    Mighty fine fun!

18. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

Plastique w/ detonator is great in towns as you can blow up anything without people caring

19. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

Damn cool devices, one more reason that Arcanum is realy the best RPG ever!! :-o

20. BitterSweet

BitterSweet New Member

Ummm.. May be I'm just weird, But I ALWAYS do fights on Real time. I almost find it easier.

Our Host!