Discussion: Political Boundaries

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by UniversalWolf, Nov 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. EarlSaturday

EarlSaturday New Member

Roseborough is in close proximity to Caladon and isolated from The Elven Lands, The Unified Kingdom and Cumbria. It is unlikely Roseborough would be able to survive independently, therefore it is part of Caladon.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

To Arland being a kingdom and Caladon being its capitol?
    • 1) One of the questions from the Game of Wits is "Caladon is to Arland as Dernholm is to..." with "Cumbria" being the correct answer.

2) Prince Auguste Farad, son of King Farad, says that he is the heir to the throne of Arland, not Caladon.
    To Roseborough being a part of Arland? None other than sheer speculation that I've seen so far.

Firstly, if anything, it would be a part of Arland, a kingdom, rather than Caladon, a city.

Secondly, that last sentence of yours is quite a surprisingly firm statement coming from someone, who just one post earlier said that there are other unmentioned nations in the game.

3. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

Cool! That's settled then. Caladon is the capital of Arland.

I have a feeling there might be more hints buried in all the newspapers and books in the game.

4. EarlSaturday

EarlSaturday New Member

I meant to say Arland. (Ugh, I ALWAYS call Arland Caladon.

Though I did say there were other nations, and I meant it, Roseborough is part of Arland because it is too far away from other nations. No valuable resources in the surrounding area so no settlers. Too small to survive independently.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Roseborough has an huge inn supported by the tourist trade with the Ring of Brogdar. Also, it has nearby mountains and forests, as well as all the resources of the sea. I speculate that it could survive independently, but it is probably closely linked to Caladon economically and historically.

The link between the Ring of Brogdar and the First Temple of the Panari is the only real sign of Roseborough and Caladon being connected. Probably, Roseborough was founded as a base camp by the Panari who lived in Caladon as they came to keep the wards, and then it grew into a town. It doesn't necessarily follow that they are in the same kingdom, but it's likely you're right and they're both Arland.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

How do you know there is no unmentioned nation right around the corner, though?

7. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

The adventurers you meet at the cave where the Blade of Xerxes is found claim to have been sent from "Flame Keep". Where is Flame Keep, I wonder... Apparently it's owned by a Duke, so it's likely (but not absolutely) in a kingdom of some sort.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if those adventurers should be taken seriously. They're virtually just a bunch of walking Easter Eggs, after all.

9. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

True, but that doesn't mean there can't be a Flame Keep somewhere.

BTW, if you read the pamphlet found in the locked trunk in Mrs. Misk's house, it's pretty clear how Roseborough can survive on it's own. It's a spa/resort tourist destination.

10. manillungol

manillungol New Member

Roseborough always reminded me of a mixture of Marrymore and Seaside Town from Super Mario RPG.

11. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

The Barbarian background describes "a far land" as the character's place of origin. And seeing as any new character knows bugger all about the continent he's on it follows that there are other continents on Arcanum. Are they ever mentioned?

12. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

This as been argued about I believe. The answer is, ambiguously in a sense that not really sorta kinda. There's no real CONCRETE proof, but there are vague references.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I always assumed that would be the south/south-east region of the Morbihan Plains or somewhere north of the Grey Mountains, seeing how those places are far and wild lands from the civilised world's point of view.

14. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Possibly, we could include other continents in Arcanum in a future mod/expansion/project. That would be very nice.

Our Host!