Diablo 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jun 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Lightweight.

3. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

No, I'm just calling you a lightweight. :p

5. Heart_Flame

Heart_Flame New Member

Long have I awaited the release of Diablo 3! Now all I need is another series of Firefly and Arcanum 2 and I can die happy....

Anybody here looking forward to the release of Blizzard's other awesomeness that has taken the form of an RTS game known to us mortals as Starcraft II?

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Blizzard any more. It seems to me that they're more interested in making money than making awesome games nowadays. Just look at Diablo 3. They want to take the evil away from it. They want to create a "beautiful world that players can come to love". I suspect they do this to lower the recommended age and thus get more players/buyers. Beautiful worlds is not what Diablo is about.

The same goes for Starcraft 2. Have you looked at it? The Protoss look like they're made out of plastic. The Zerg doesn't look like zerg to me, and the Terrans are only almost passable. Why? The fucking color-spray. Why does Blizzard insist on using these bright fucking colors? Why do they insist on using their shitty WC3 engine, when there are billions of better ones out there? Why do they want to WoWify everyfuckingthing? WHY THE FUCKING DISNEY APPEARANCE? WHYWHYWHY? If the answer is "to broaden our target group" then they really mean "to make more money", and then I'll probably stop buying their games. How could they need more money after WoW? They're probably just mad for it, like every other big company.

Then again, they could change before the release and prove me wrong. I hope they do. I'd hate to be right.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Both yes and no. I'm looking forward to play it, but I'm not looking forward to the computer upgrade required to run it.

8. Heart_Flame

Heart_Flame New Member

Computer upgrade is always a downer.

By "beautiful worlds" I assume they mean "awesome, grotesque, bloody scenes filled with monsters to the brim that will rip your limbs off if you don't manage to savagely beat them with whatever weapon you have weilded." Other than that I cannot say much about Diablo 3, or WoW. Don't know much about what they have planned for Diablo 3 and never played WoW.
    But the units for the new Starcraft II look great, and I've heard great things about the editor.... such as the ability to use some mutilated form of C++ or something.
    I rarely play Starcraft for the RTS portion, I usually only play the UMS maps. I was working on one, but haven't finished it.
    As for the graphics.... I don't care if the units are animated square dots that run around and bump into each other when attacking, though I love graphics (and love 3D modeling so much that I could spend hours in an editor playing around with primitives or gawking at some high quality renders), I value gameplay more.... if they take that away then they shall feel the wrath of me not buying their new games.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    If there's one thing the guys at Blizzard shine at, that would be gameplay. With the exception of WoW3, which I came to loathe after a brief attempt to see for myself what all the hullabaloo was about, their games always felt more polished than the competition. Star/Warcraft are really your run-of-the-mill RTS' while the Diablo's are nothing more but roguelikes, however Blizzard's devotion to quality is the reason why those titles define their respective genres.

Therefore, I'm not worried about SC2 and D3 the way I grind my teeth over Fallout 3.

10. Heart_Flame

Heart_Flame New Member

I need WoW, I don't want it, I can't afford it, I don't have the time for it (because of all the other games I'll be playing) but I need it... I'm sure addiction would set in if I started playing it, anyway.

11. Wolfsbane

They don't. They want to make the exterior world look like the WoW exterior. And that's Disney. Really.

No, they don't. They look like small pastelle-like plastic models. Starcraft should, if anything, be three things:
    1. Quick
    2. Rough
    3. Bloody

The original Starcraft was, but SC2 just isn't (from what I've seen so far).

Who doesn't? But if a game looks like shit, it's bad. Now two games are making me nervous, and Blizzards whole new "let the young ones play" attitude isn't helping. Starcraft and Diablo aren't meant to be played by children.

12. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

There is one easy test to see if SC2 is and upgrade or not from SC.

If i'm good at it, it's crap. Really.

And D3 look to much happy, wich it shouldn't. I want more blood. I want to hit them in the head and see a beheaded corpse go down on all four and fall down, while it just sprays blood all over the place.

That would be nice.

13. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Excess gore is overrated. Graphics are overrated. What matters is gameplay mechanics and the overall smoothness of the game. That's what made Warcraft 2, StarCraft and Diablo great games. Sure, they looked good for their time, but at the end of the day, graphics are only fascinating for the first few hours of play. After that, it's all about the flow of the game. If the GUI is unintuitive and clunky, if there are constant stoppages to the game flow, or if it becomes stagnant and repetitive and doesn't have enough versatility to keep it alive, these are real problems. In my opinion, the appearance of the gameworld is of minimal importance, as long as it is well fleshed out and plays well.

14. Wolfsbane

I both agree and disagree with you, Japes. Graphics as in "stunning 3D art which looks just like reality" isn't that important, but a video/computergame without graphics that suits it is, in my opinion, bad. Diablo 2 set the standard for the Diablo games, I think, and the third game should follow in it's spirit. Right now there are too many sundrenched, happy-looking places filled with green grass and modestly evil-looking semi-demons for me to be happy about it. It isn't Diablo, it's something else. When it comes down to it, I don't want a game filled with side-quests, interesting NPCs and an awesomely deep story when I'm playing Diablo. I want the feeling. I want the hack-and-slash. I want the damp, dark corridors filled with unspeakable evil and blood by the gallons. Excessive gore is stupid, but Diablo is and should continue to be a dark game. Not something filled with pretty enviroments for kids to like.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Nothing beats the original Diablo when it comes to atmosphere. Art direction, voice acting, the awesome music... Tristram simply feels like the God-forsaken village it's supposed to be. And then you walk on that dusty trail and arrive at the cathedral, eerie red light spilling out from the gothic windows and a townsman, laying in a pool of his own blood, utters his last words and warns you of the unspeakable evil lurking in the catacombs... I tell you, it still sends shivers down my spine.

D2 never felt as evil. Open environments never feel as haunting and scary as the strict confines of dark corridors and tunnels. The story, with three prime evils scattered across the land, just can't compare with that of kings gone mad and archbishops sacrificing children on altars to appease the Lord of Terror. Diablo 2's saving grace was that of gameplay, which was a vast improvement from the original.

If D3 manages to be on par with D2 in terms of gameplay and conveys the same feelings of utter inhuman evil as D1 did, it's going to be a great game. But the more I think about it, the lush, green grass and lame zombies in the screenshots and videos don't deliver that. Hope the final product is better than that.

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

One of the things I dislike in RPG's is the inclusion of "chunking" *Dungeon Siege series cough* where a critical hit cause the enemy to spray his corpse-meat across the immediate countryside in the manner of explosive compounds. I think such effects should been the sole domain of certain weapons, preferably ones involving thunder-gods as their namesakes.

On the subject of atmosphere, I think that above ground environments are extremely hard to depict as menacing when the sun is out. The almost universal belief that evil is less powerful while the sun shines subconsciously keeps us from taking monsters seriously as threats. On the other hand, blood-red skies or moons, haze and smoke obscuring the sun, and lowering clouds give the impression of taint and dread which will put any subsequent encounters in a different light. DE's right on about the atmosphere in Diablo 1 being better - the constant twilight did a much better job of convening to me the seriousness of Tristram's plight than the mobs of skeletons in the cathedral's basement.

17. Heart_Flame

Heart_Flame New Member

You've misunderstood me, by 'look' I meant the abilities that the new units will have look great.

I agree with Jungle Japes, and think that Dark Elf hit it right on the spot in that last post.... I now have the urge to play Diablo again.

If they don't make it a dark game, it's not Diablo.

This discussion reminds me of a game I played on a friend's PSP, it was a racing game, the graphics were stunning, the gameplay was incredibly boring, the load time took longer than it did to play the only interesting minigame it had, but I may just be a bit bias against racing games since I don't like them much.

18. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

*puts his shovel away*

Given recent developments with Diablo 3, I'm curious as to who here is still interested in buying this game.

The no mods thing doesn't really bother me since I never used mods in any of the previous Diablo games. What does bother me are the "always-online" DRM that will be on the game, and a Blizzard-run cash auction house.

Without a single player offline option I probably wouldn't buy the game. The primary reason (IMO) this type of DRM is being used is to prevent players from cloning items. Which brings me to the reason Blizzard will not be getting any money from me - the auction house.

You can read about it in-depth here, but basically Blizzard has completely changed their position on gold farming and third party sales. Now the player base is going to be gold farmers in the employ of Blizzard; they take a listing fee regardless of if the item sells or not, a handling fee once the item sells, and if you want the cash physically instead of in your Blizzard account a third party handler takes their cut.

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah I read about that as well. Shame that the more I hear about the game the less I want it. I'll stick to Deus Ex HR, ME3 and maybe that star wars mmo.

20. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Modern Warfare 3 all the way. Everything else is being pirated

Our Host!