Deleting Private Messages

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 5, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

When you delete a private message, you're brought to a screen saying "Your message has been deleted. Click here to go back to your private messages"

Well.... WHat if that screen didn't come up? I mean, what say you deleted a private message and instead of being brought to a screen SAYING what you know should've just happened.... How about you're brought back to the private message "inbox" so to speak? Then, you can see that the message has actually been deleted, rather than being told so, and then having to click on something.

To try and qualify this function using Calis' own system:
    1. How many people would use this feature, and how much of a difference would it make?

I'd use it. Uhhh.... I can't vouch for anyone else. But it's mainly due to me getting a few private messages. When I delete them all, it's annoying to have to keep clicking delete, being told what happened, then having to click back to the private messages again so I can delete another one.

2. How much work is it to implement?

Probably lots and lots. :smile: As usual, I am ignorant in the ways of phpBB and I know nothing about what is required. However, I doubt it would be little more than telling it to go to another page, instead of going to the "your message has been deleted" page. Also, think of all the webspace you save from getting rid of that single web page? That's gotta be AT LEAST 2 or 3 kb...

3. Will it make the forum load any slower or put extra strain on the server?

I'd think so. Instead of being told, you're now being redirected to a page that relads info from the server.

Hey, reading that again, I think I've just debunked my own idea!!

Actually, what do people think about expanding this to the forum replies as well? Instead of being told you've made a reply, how about you just get brought back to the last page of the thread instead? Seeing as it loads after a certain time anyway. I really don't see a reason in being told the bleeding obvious, it seems rather pointless.

ALSO NOTE: Due to my incredible brain capacity, I am able to give this thread a title that tells the people reading this forum what the thread is about, as opposed to calling it "I have an idea!!", like so many other people....

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i like this idea. both of them, actually. since i always want to see my message after i post it, to make sure i didn't dbl post/make a stupid mistake/anything else, the second thing would be especially useful.

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Also, with PM replies, it gets confusing as to what exactly the other person is talking about
    [example]
    A: Hi. Go read the latest post on the Quotes thread, it's funny.

The reply of person B at the moment is sent back all on its own, so if it said something like

B: Ok...

then person A will get confused.
    [/example]

How about making the Reply function send the last message back as a quote? It would make the PMs easier.

(Once again, I have no idea how much work this would be. Don't worry about it if it's too much...)

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Etalis. Maybe make the reply button quote automatically (then remove the quote button or something?). Or have some way of recording the messages you sent out. Kind of like an "outbox". If too hard, don't worry.

Our Host!