D20 Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Arthgon, Feb 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The BRP System is using the class-less rules as well. In place of classes, you have to choose an occupation that you find befitting the character's characteristics. After that, the player allots points only to the eight or so skills listed for the occupation. There are personal interest’s skills as well, but I am still thinking how to deal with these in the spirit of Arcanum.

3. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

World of Darkness would not work for Arcanum because the WoD Combat System is inadequate.

4. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

You haven't used the system for long enough if you don't know the answer to that.

WoD was never meant for combat, and as such, it punishes you for entering into it frequently. The main issue comes because your damage roll and to hit roll is the same thing. For 'to hit' with a gun (let's say), you get 3L damage, which means you roll your skill (let's say, 2) plus 3. That's 5 dice, so you roll and any that comes up '8' or more is a hit. You get to reroll 10s and continue adding successes.

On average, firearms combat involves both sides grazing eachother (with rolls of 1-2, maybe 3 with some luck) until one dies.

It's worse in melee. When you factor in defense, if you're rolling with 4 dice (let's say 2 weaponry skill and a 2L knife), and the enemy has 2 defense (about the average), that means you only get 2 dice. But this doesn't make sense. No matter how great you are at dodging, a stab is still going to hurt you. If you have an axe, on the other hand, you're getting 6 dice (because the axe is 4L damage). For some reason, you have more chance to hit with your axe than with your knife. If I happen to have more skill with my fists than with my axe, I will do more damage with my fists than with an axe. If I have no firearms skill, I will be rolling 2 dice maximum for the pistol, meaning I will do less than my fists AND the axe. It doesn't make sense.

The same factor would come into play in an Arcanum setting. World of Darkness is about running away from things and surviving in a web of political intrigue. It is not for taking on Kerghan. The combat system has always been the inherent flaw, and it hasn't been changed because the game wasn't made for combat.

I have played successful Vampire: the Requiem games in the past year or so, though. I find out of all the PnPs I know, White Wolf produces the best commercial adventures, easily tailorable into your plot and very non-linear. Great for the busy GM. Not so great for Arcanum.

6. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I've been playing WoD for 10 yrs. I've found that most combat encounters take the same amount of time, or less, as D20 combat even with the introduction of minions.

It can be clunky at times, yes. But so can't GURPS, D20, Shadowrun, and every other system.

Taking 2L damage in WoD isn't a small amount, given the average human has only 7 health. That 2L damage is over 25% of his total health. Much more than a mere graze.

Your numbers are a bit off though. Every roll is Attribute + Skill + Equipment (if any). So say you have 1 strength and 3 dex, your example knife attack could be 5 dice (3+2+2-2) while your axe attack could be 7(1+2+6-2) if your ST says axes require more strength and small blades more finesse to use properly. Even if you are unskilled in firearms you would roll Dex + Gun bonus.

V:tR isn't suited to combat because so few Vampire abilities deal with combat. But Hunter, Mage, and Werewolf (not sure about Geist or Changeling) do make combat much simpler.

Current WoD is a lot easier on the combat side of things than oWoD. To Hit rolls, Damage Rolls, Resistance Rolls, and Dodge rolls made a single encounter routinely take over an hr. With To Hit and Damage combined into a single roll and Resistance and Dodge being passive numbers, everything goes really quick.

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

It's not about time, or going through combat as quickly as possible. It's about combat balance. People who have trouble with rolls taking too long in other games typically do all their rolls at once.

I think if you do a search of this on Google, you will find this debate brought up many more times.

If you are unskilled with firearms, you actually do DEX + Gun - 1 for being unskilled. So the average civilian would get 4 dice to roll with.

To Hit and Damage are typically separate in more combat intensive systems because they represent different things. A gnome could punch a huge Dragon over and over, and the Dragon would have significant difficulty getting out of the way. However, he would not actually do any damage unless he got very lucky.

WoD's combat is very abstract, and it is this way for a reason.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I have found something AWESOME. It's a Savage Worlds setting called Runepunk, and although the general feel is more apocalyptic or Perdido-Street-Station-ish (DAMN good book), it wouldn't take much tweaking at all to Arcanumify it. Hrm...

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Hmm, this is true. I do have the automatic chargen and the entire 900 page rulebook on pdf...

11. theorel

theorel New Member

@Xiao: If you do "Arcanumify Runepunk" be sure to let me know. It might just make me get that setting book(I've considered doing so before, in order to do the same thing). Additionally, if you want any help with doing a Savage Arcanum, let me know, I've had a couple start and stop attempts at it.

12. capnpeej

capnpeej New Member

so here is a preview of what i have so far for the magic starting class for d20 modern. it was only fair to do since there is no starting magic in modern, which wouldnt work for arcanum.

Gifted hero

diabolism

novice

warding diagram - +1 diabloic defense rounds per int mod

entangling diagram- will save dc 15 + int mod

burning diagram- 1d4 fire ref save 15 = int mod

soothing diagram- stabalize dying ally

acolyte

warding pentagram- +5 diabolic defense bonus rounds/per int mod

healing pentagram- 1d4 hp healed

dark hexagram- darkness 30 ft rounds /per int mod

summoning hexagram- summon small magical creature rounds/ int mod

disciple

warding octagram- +10 diabolic defense rounds / int mod

helaing octagram- 2d4 hp healed

cloaking octagram- invisiblity rounds/ int mod

hellfire octagram - 1d4 fire damage 10x10 dc 20 + int mod, rounds/ int mod

necromoancy

novice

spirit strike- 1 attack ignoring defense bonus from armor

phantom visage- dc 15 will save or rund for 1 d4 rounds

necrotic ally- summon tiny undead animal, shares hp with character see notes

withering glare- dc 15 + wisdom mod or -1 to att and damage

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

theorel: Will do. I have a couple of projects and classwork on my plate right now, but I'll add it to the (admittedly long) list of things I'd like to work on.

14. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

well for the past several weeks I've been working on a system from scratch for this concept. I'm currently several stock/test characters. Also as part of my college degree Capstone project I'm making an animation based off the system and Arcanum. once I have it finished I'll send it here for you guys and (gals) to enjoy.

15. razorwise

razorwise New Member

Thanks for the nice words. You're pretty much spot on. As stated in the preface of the book, Arcanum was one of many influences on my work, along with such things as Perdido Street Station, Neil Gaiman's stuff, and good old Stormbringer.

If you want any insights on how I might tweak it to better fit Arcanum, or if you want to run stuff past me, just let me know.

Take care,

Sean

16. DarkFool

You know... I could use a project. I may start actually reading F.A.T.A.L, and maybe start drafting up an Arcanum-ish campaign...

17. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I don't think it would work, since FATAL lacks rules for technological devices, and there is no room for homebrew.

18. DarkFool

Somebody mail me a fifth of nice rum, and I bet I can manage it.

19. Charonte

Charonte Member

One and a half empty bottles of Benleigh white do you?

20. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

You're offering him a broken bottle?

Our Host!