Crazy Christian Links!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, Nov 19, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Oh well... I'm going to bed now, it's 03.47 am here, I'll reply to your possible reply tomorrow in school :-o

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Great, so you agree with Etalis that sharing opinions is perfectly fine. You can shutup about it now.

Now there's a man asking for a beating.

So... If you're a hill-billie, you get to sleep with lots of attractive women? THAT'S NOT FAIR!

Damn!

DAMN!

DAMN!

BAHAHAHAHHA!!

WOOHOO!!

What about sex with goats? Or does Satan know where they're tied up too?

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Yeah, I got that. If you'd bothered reading my entire post, you'd notice the part where I said that the offensive part was where you defined "people that call themselves christians and aren't really" as being those who don't follow the exact, identical form of Christianity you do.

You can't disagree with a fact, and that FAQ claims that its interpretation and beliefs are facts, not beliefs and interpretation.

According to the Bible, I am also required to kill anyone who works on a Saturday. Seeing as I've never heard of a Christian of any denomination (or anyone, for that matter) killing someone for working on a Saturday, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Bible is open to change.

What you said was that a believing Christian is one who follows one, specific interpretation of the bible as fact.

Yes, the New Testament clearly says that. There really aren't many ways around that translation. My point was that other people don't necessarily believe the Bible is the word of God. Other people don't necessarily even believe in God in the first place. The entire idea hinges on whether you believe the word of the Bible to be totally true. Hence, you're still a bigoted, intolerant automaton.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

5. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Have you ever noticed that there's always someone willing to argue that the Bible is the absolute, literal truth?

It's like there's a machine somewhere, pumping them out.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

See, the thing with the Bible is how it's translated and interpreted. If a bloke in a remote Chinese province gets his hands on a poorly translated copy of the Bible (no fault of his own) and rigidly follows the rules, but because of the translation follows different rules to someone who has an accepted (not necessarily correct) translation, does the Chinese bloke miss out on Heaven?

If he does, then that pretty much screws the rest of the world because they then have to find the unknown, but correct, translation. If he doesn't miss out, then it's all a matter of belief and perspective. In which case, it doesn't matter which rules you follow, as long as you believe in some way.

I'm confused about where I stand on the whole belief in God thing - there's too many issues open to mis-interpretation, and too many unknowns for me to be comfortable believing in Him carte blanche.

7. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Incase you haven't noticed yet in your life, most people doesn't see their religion as a silly little interpretation, but as what they believe is totally true...

If you believe that one should be able to have an opinion, don't pick on christians...

8. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

No. If they follow everything that is true (and if they follow that perticular rule that might be wrong, I am sure they will come to heaven... this can also be found in the bible...

Oh, and one who truly does search, and get
    to know Jesus as a person, WILL find the truth, there's no need for human theories...

9. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

OK, well, First of all we ARE talking about the BIBLE, not only the old testament... The bible includes both.

AND, In The New Testament Jesus names some of the laws that no longer apply. That one is one fo them.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Will find the truth? The truth about what? HOW do you get to know Jesus as a person? Being that he's the son of God, he isn't really a person is he?

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to get the truth from God, if He exists, is to have a near death experience and cram in as many questions and answers as you can get before you go back.

11. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

There's a reason why the Bible is divided into two. The major theme of the Old Testament (to elaborate on what retard once said) is mainly the Jews - how God built them into a nation. The New Testament tells of the redemption of all of man.

It's disgusting how people in forums (not just this one) like to pick on the Old Testament for their Bible-bashing. You're picking on rules made for people who lived 2000 years ago. They are still in essence true, but they specifically address the way of life back then. Notice Jesus did not give any new rules for maintaining a household or what was safe to eat - he just said - oh, you know what he said.

The fault was not with the Law itself, it was with the people. The Law (10 commandements) actually "condemned" the people in a sense, because they just couldn't measure up to that standard. That's why they had to give sacrifices and so on. By the time of the Roman Empire Jesus also said the first commandment "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" was the greatest commandement. Why? It's impossible to break any of the other commandements while staying true to this.

The Bible states that the only thing you need is to believe that Jesus died on the cross. Translations are taken very seriously. You won't find one Bible saying one thing and another stating the opposite. You have a point in the interpretation, but as I said, it's hard to misinterpret "whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life". I don't understand all the ruckus about translation and interpretation - is it really the biggest issue to you? Somehow I don't think it's the main reason why people reject the Bible - they just point to it as the most convenient problem.

Even with all the concerns about interpretation and translation we must use common sense. The Bible had to go to all the nations somehow. It had to be translated, it has to be interpreted. Defining a Christian? If you believe that the Son of God died for your sins, really believe it, then you are one.

Christians believe he willingly became a man living on earth, and then died, to circumvent that problem.

Please tell him then how he can truly believe in Christianity without believing that Jesus is the only way. He can't. Don't call him a bigot for that. You do not believe that Jesus is the way, and are not likely to change your opinion. Does that make you a bigot? No. It just means you don't believe.

12. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

rofl, getting a personal relationship is easy, as soon as someone who belives prays to him, or if someone pray directly for you (don't know the word in english) it's quite easy... alot of my friends have gotten that...

And well, Jesus is a person, person doesn't have to mean human... :)

13. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Jar, that's where Faith comes in. We don't know if he would miss out on Heaven. I also will not tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm going to Heaven. That is our Great Judge's job. Not mine. So, all I can do, is hope, have faith, and pray that I am indeed one of "them" and that the translation of the Bible I'm reading is the right one, and that all who follow it will be lead to Heaven. I'm deathly afraid of telling people that I'm saved and going to Heaven, simply because, to me, that sounds like I'm doing something myself, or taking the job of the Judge, when it's not my place.

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Aha so you are afraid?
    Myself i em not certain that there is something there after i die so just to be certain i will become enlightened a few minutes before i die confess and regret all my sins and hopefully go to paradise. Also it could happen that there is nothing more when i die and that there will not even be a blackness to float into.

15. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Yes, I am scared sometimes. I consider myself a Christian. BUT, I do get questions in my mind from time to time. Questions like, What if there isn't a God? What if there is nothing after you die? And most scary of all, What if I am doomed for hell, regardless?

All I can do, is try to pray to be delivered from my doubts and fears, and pray for forgiveness for being so faithless. Of course I get afraid. Anyone that tells you they are not scared are either lying to you or are not being truthful with themselves.

16. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Then you have the question: Is enternal pain better than nothingness? nevermind, Whenever you are afraid open the bible, pray and kill the cruise missiles of doubt. :D
    Myself i have no problems with religions as long they have anything against me, but i don't like religions that claim that there is a chosen people and "if you don't belive in me you will suffer in hell forever."

17. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I agree. I don't feel that I'm qualified enough to determine which people go to hell, and which are saved. I only hope that no-one does suffer eternal damnation.

Besides, it says in the Bible, and I don't know where, but it says, "A portion of every tribe will be saved." (May not be word for word..)

18. xento

xento New Member

That is reffering to the "last days" when the Anti-christ comes and all the troubles and stuff. As far as the jews go, at least (whatever the number was) of each tribe WILL be saved after the AC comes and before the world ends. It doesn't mention Jentiles, because it is all our choice. There is no guarantee how many Jentiles will be saved. It all depends on our own hears and minds on whether we want to go to hell or to heaven. Now, in my opionion (I know I am not fully living the life I am supposed to, but I am trying and learning....), if you are not SURE wheather there is a heaven/hell/god/jesus, why not just serve God/Jesus and believe in heaven/hell just in case?

19. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Nope, that's where I don't agree. It's NOT up to us to decide, "Well, I think I've made up my mind, I'm gonna go to Heaven." Kinda makes the omnipotent power of God seem a little less.....powerful, doesn't it?

20. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Oh, I'm glad I'm not alone then :)

Actually... You CAN consider yourself going to heaven as long as you believe Jesus died for your sins and you pray for forgiveness for your sins...

And that IS according to the Bible... And that's what keep me in a good mood :thumbup:

And anyway, I got a nice quote...

Our Host!