Civilization V!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mesteut, Feb 26, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Fuck yes!

Also has a trailer.

The trailer has Istanbul in it (not Constantinople the Byzantine Capital, because Hagia Sophia has minarets), which means Civ V could be the first Civilization game which features the Turks in the main game rather than in the expansions.

The tiling is now hexagonal. Also, they say unit stacking may go away.

Gonna be awesome.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Fuck no. I don't have time for that this fall.

3. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Going by the trailer it seems that the Viking civilization is included in the vanilla version of the game, meaning that I will just do what I always do; build myself an awful lot of berserkers and assrape the world.

5. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

My plan includes Janissaries and some assrape as well. Ironically, homosexuality wasn't discriminated against in the Ottoman Empire, so the word might have a literal meaning.

6. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Yay! My favorite game series to shred appart and put back together before ever finishing an original game, second only to the Baldur's Gate series.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Don't see the point in making a new thread for this bad boy but read a preview on this just recently in a magazine. They are indeed going hexagonal and unit stacking will be gone. Now you warrior unit is in fact a legion of warriors. Also it won't be the case of having to be next to your enemy unit to attack it, units such as archers will be able to attack 2 or more hexagons away adding strategy to the mix. Cities expanding over several tiles and the part that I thought was really interesting, the civ leaders are all voiced and they all speak the languages of their time. Caesar speaking Latin anyone?

8. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

It will take true skill for an actor to form an effective Latin accent.

Also, isn't a tile in Civ several miles long? Just how far do these archers shoot?

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    We don't even know what an accurate Latin accent would have sounded like. The best we can do is to go by way of educated guesses.

Could be that the tiles in this new Civ are smaller? Or they simply felt that the introduction of a new tactical element outweighed the concerns of realism. To be fair, combat in Civ IV was a fairly dull ordeal. I'm sure there are tactical nuances I've missed here, but the only strategy I've ever employed has been to pump out hordes of the most powerful unit available to me and then let loose the human wave.

As long as we won't see situations where a group of archers in one city attack the ones garrisoned in another I'm happy.

10. someoneoo

someoneoo New Member

This looks really good. I hope they take out all the ugly cartoons and make an attractive UI, unlike Civ4. I'm looking forward to this one. :D

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    If you could somehow combine Civ with city builders like Caesar III and make that work you would have a game I'd have orgasms to.

12. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Or combine it with the Total War series battleplay.

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Sid Meier claims to have a philosophy of not trying to pack too much into one game, which he calls the 'Covert Action Rule'. He's brought this up specifically in relation to Total War-style battleplay.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Which is why KISS - keep it simple, stupid - reigns supreme along with Murphy's law as the governing principles of the universe.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

That is the exact reason why I didn't get into EVE Online.

16. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I never played EVE but CCP is making the World of Darkness MMO.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Well by having only 1 military unit and 1 civilian unit allowed in a tile it means cities will have the one defending unit, however it also means they won't get attacked by 16 units in one turn. The article mentioned how they plan to make terrain a very useful and strategic resource, the 300 spartans defending a passage through mountains for instance. Also for the first time in civ history the same terrain type will look different according to the area of the world, grassland looks different in France as opposed to the Mongolian Steppes.

The biggest thing they are adding that really appeals to me is city-states. These nations are singular cities like the Vatican and Singapore, they have no ambition of ruling the world but with the introduction of research treaties (a boost to research produced by both parties) it will now allow for more than one country who may not like each other, to work together to defend such city-states. When I sent my armies across the globe to conquer cities, the issue I always found was the pillaged cities would be in a state of revolt for up to 10 turns sometimes. This meant it was far more economical to just raze the village and move on. Now you can take over it, destroy it, or even let it govern itself. By allowing it to govern itself you get all the benefits of taxes, research etc, without the burden on your empire.

18. Charonte

Charonte Member

EVE isn't that complicated, there's just far too much content. Not a bad game but if I play what is essentially a text-based game I'll stick to muds and not something I have to subscribe to, thanks.

There are rumours that WoD online is just going to be eve with vampires and werewolves but just as many menus. Disappointing.

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

EVE is fun, if you have an economics degree.

20. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

The other great thing about Civilization V is that civilizations will have bonuses to certain areas, like Britain/Naval Supremacy. So you can choose a civilization to fit for your gaming technique.

Our Host!