character points

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Darkform, Apr 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I would like 128 character points by lvl 50 but save editing at start of game to add 64 points unbalances it ALLOT so is there a way to make game give 2X the normal points each lvl or do I have to save edit each time I lvl ?

may still be a bit unbalanced probably like haveing a lvl 100+ cap where each lvl had 1/2 the normal exp to lvl. but I want it useable with other mods and or patches so I think keeping 50 as lvl cap is a must.

2. team a

team a New Member

First, what do you need that many character points for? I assume you have a specific plan mapped out if you're being that precise. Maybe there's another way to get what you want.

There's the hack to get to level 127 or something like that. I've used it for a long time and haven't had problems. Then again, I don't use that many hacks, so I don't know about compatibility.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would say just get the Arcanum Character Editor, and use that. I used it to give my uber melee 4int ogre mad thieving skills because the idea of'ving a character barely capable of speech stealing things is delicious to me. ^__^ Maybe my love of irony makes me a little odd though.

4. Darkform

Darkform New Member

actually I want more than 128 points and mostly to max all Tech disciplines + have skills for a good Gunslinger/thief. I've decided 168 or so CPs is boring to play especially if 100+ are given at startup so I came up with the idea to scale the extra CPs and just giving 2X normal CPs each time a CP is given sounds playable.

maybe about the same for other biulds mages could use more schools buy lvl 50 even tho 90% of the time 75% or more of what I put the points to won't be used. I tend not to make strait thief because I tend to give all may chars thief skills. I think if I did go strait thief I woulden't need the extra CPs.

5. team a

team a New Member

I've wanted to do the same thing myself. I suggest starting out with a background that gives you tons of int, at the cost of being very weak physically. Give yourself only 15 PE, and use the goggled helmet to get up to 18. Use therepeutics to give yourself the INT to get up to 19. Rely on brain builder/muscle maker/vivifier found schematics to give yourself more INT so you don't have to spend points on it (take brain builders right before making something in the learned schematics, then take muscle makers to make yourself normal again.)

Look into the Arcanum gods quests to find ways to get more PE and IN rather than spending points. And, as far as thieving, go for the prowling but not pick locks or pick pocket, because it's just too much to get IN, PE, and DX up to nearly 20.

Or, I guess you could just character edit.

As far as I know, you can't change the number of character points you get per level. You can change how quickly you level up, though, but you're gonna have to use the up to 127 hack to make that mean anything.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I apologize if my method for accomplishing this seems simplistic, but I use ACE because it's easy. In all honesty, I love Arcanum. I love playing it, but I'm out to play it different ways. I've played it several times through with self-built characters, and this time around I decided to do things like make a completely retarded half-ogre who's a master of persuasion. Do you know how hilarious when someone who can barely speak manages to coerce people into seemingly nonsensical things?

edit: p.s: if you do get ACE, I recommend 1.8. You can still find older versions, but 1.8 barred editing health because it was causing issues (games crashing/saves corrupted, that fun stuff).

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If you really want to be cheap, don't get more than 9 IN and simply quaff an Essence of Intellect before you craft something.

8. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

I've got a really whacked out problem about points. Once I left my levelling up after I entered Tulla till after I got the All Father's Blessiing, and I found that I had about three points extra by accident.

Then my game crashed after I left Tulla and I reinstalled it and then it never happened again.

9. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Why can you silly boys and girls not just cope with the fact that you can't have everything and still enjoy the game? The level 50 cap, the number of CPs you get during the game - they're all there and balanced out for a reason. Level 50 characters are very powerful without an extra 100 CPs.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I guess they do it for the same reason I sometimes enabled Godmode in Driver. Being omnipotent has a lot of potential to be fun!

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Godmode in many games is really fun. Unfortunately, being God in a game doesn't mean you can control every aspect of it. That'd be sweet.

12. team a

team a New Member

Funny, I did that too for awhile (4 years ago or so), but for some reason it stopped working for me, and I figured it was because of my tech aptitude. I just retested it and you're right. Seems to be a bug, and I think I know why. Thanks for pointing it out.

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I've seen that those potions tend to work regardless of how much of a techie you are. The only problem is that if you run out of potions, you'll need some tech manuals to beef up your expertise.

14. team a

team a New Member

yeah, but if you're a techie, you can make as much money as you want selling shit. the healing potions (heal, greater heal, morgana's tears, heal poison, fatigue, greater fatigue) were fixed to deal with the magic/tech thing, probably right before release. They're script-based. The others are spell based, but they're unresistable spells. They SHOULD have been script-based or something to check for tech. Since they don't get much attention in the game, though, they were probably overlooked. After all, a lot more important things were overlooked when troika was forced to wrap up their post-release patching spree.

Our Host!