Car Arcanum is ready and it rocks.

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Jan 4, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

George Jameson in Tarant?

He is in a building near the bridge.
    When I make the Fire Obstruction I get THREE Automatons instead.
    Hmm. I suspect this is a bug.

And WHY doesn't Virgil pick any more spells? He REALLY needs that Cure poison.

Did you notice the change the proffesion gems in a barrel in the shrounded hills musem (althea's home ?)

Use one of these to change his default proffesion.

2. Dabrinko

Dabrinko New Member

3. trobs

trobs New Member

First, if I hapen to be grave-digging, I apologize. I jumped directly to this thread from a google search, so I do not know when the thread was last active.

If you're wondering about playing Car Arcanum, some bits of advice:

If you have not been using other mods, you'll find it easy to install and/or remove, therefore easy to try. If you HAVE been using other mods, the instructions still tell you quite clearly how to install.

There are lots of comments about car arc at arcanum forums in geenral, search and pique your curiosity.

There's lots of really interesting stuff, and even new followers in Car Arc.

In Car Arc, even if you play a pre-made charcter, you still get to wrestle with selecting improvements to your character!

4. oldtemplar

oldtemplar New Member

I am having problems with Arcanum car mod , I have installed it according to your pdf guide , I had no other mods installed , it was a brand new Arcanum installation , I also have the latest patches installed. But there are no changes in the game , I am not teleported to the dungeon master , nothing , the only visible modifications are the characters background.
    If anybody could help me play this mod , I would appreciate it .
    I have tried to ask for help in the #Arcanum in irc , but it seems I was banned moments after , don’t know why.

Cheers

5. Faustus

Faustus New Member

Chris, I'd just like to start by saying that this is an excellent, absolutely awesome mod. It adds so much that Arcanum has needed, and I'm hoping that in time you will yet add more.

However, I've had a few problems with things in your Mod. I did the install just as you said, and it functions well, but there are some things that trouble me.

1.) Arbalah's Portrait seems to stick in the display box when you highlight him. So far, he's the only new follower who has done this. I'm unsure as to what causes it, but I'd like to know if it can be fixed.

2.) Many of the new Items do things different than what is listed on them, sometimes it isn't clear how they're different or what they do - like some of the Guns doing a LOT more damage than they indicate on the display. For example, Gar's Dagger of Disguise. There are many more like this, such as your 'Jewels of the Gods', most of them do not fully describe what they do.

3.) I've experienced a few crashes to desktop when interacting with various NPCs at times. So far, it seems just absolutely random. I mention it here only for the fact it may have happened to others. If it's not an error on my end, which I continue to check for, perhaps you might offer some advice?

4.) It is heavily annoying that the Elephant Gun should be so difficult to attain. So many schematics use it to build bigger and more important guns (Such as the Grenade Launcher, or more importantly, the Blade Launcher). Offering the Elephant Gun for sale a bit more commonly would be very nice, and making the schematic at least a *bit* easier to find (Perhaps add it in a dungeon?)

5.) In comparison to a lot of other weapons, some guns such as the Grenade Launcher could use a bit more punch. It's eyecandy is impressive, but its damage, range, and radius is pitiful when compared with other guns. Clearly, a Grenade Launcher should at least have radius going for it. I do have a bit of a larger list of recommendations if you're interested - complete with suggested values.

6.) While I know it would increase the file size of the Mod, adding area maps to some of the areas like Vaselan would be monumentally helpful - the first couple times I played through I didn't know there was anything at all there. In a future patch, I think perhaps adding maps would be a great and significant help.

7.) I do have a large amount of item recommendations, but I won't go into detail on them here. If anyone else who posts wants to see them, I hope they'll say so, and maybe I'll post them. One example though would be adding an effect to Purfume and Cologne that adds a potionlike bonus to persuasion or beauty (Kind of like an 'Essence of Intellect' but for appearance). Likewise, all clothing (Servant's, Rustic Finery, etc.) should have some form of reaction modifier. Same with all non-enchanted jewelry (Such as a common ruby ring would add a + REACT.)

Well . . . I hope that these suggestions were not too much. These were just some of the things biting at me, and I've played through your version about eight times strait through now, and I STILL want to go back in to try something new. I think it's only right to say again that it is marvelous what you're doing with Arcanum - giving this RPG new breath. I wouldn't play Arcanum without your Mod.

By the way, if you're interested Chris, I'd be more than happy to offer my future assistance with proof reading, story work, or playtesting, if you'd like. I'm interested in helping any way I may be able to.

Thanks for the time.

- Faustus -

6. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

1) Ehhh...
    2) All melee weapons damage is modified by the char st.
    If a char has lot of st the weapon does more damage.
    This is a game feature. Have you checked this ?
    3.)Yes this seems to happen to me also . Its totally random and does not happen often.My explanation is that my scripting can randomly tax the game engine and it randomly crashes.There are a lot more scripts running in my version than it troika version at times.In other words i do not know what exactly is happening or how to fix it but i9 would like to streess that this thing at least at me happened say once every 10 hours.

4.Well that was a gameplay decision on my part.The logic was that you should not have accesss at the blade launcher made that easy since now it does a lot more damage.Mayby i was wrong.

5 Grenade Launcher is kind of bugged .Most specificaly it will also do damage to your party they will hate you leave you blah blah ....
    That is why i left it alone after some experiments.

6 Yes i know. However the images in this maps are stored in bmp meaning they are not compressed at all. Doing this would reqires another 50 Mbytes. This presents 2 problems . First 56 K users that are the majority would not download it and already i have recieved big complaints for the 25 Mbytes size.Second i have to beg the administrators of TA for another 50 Mbytes. If i put both i would have to beg for another 75 Mbytes.
    And with the state of the advertising industry a site like TA has problems moving and hosting . Putting a 75 Mbytes file on their servers is not something nice .

7 Unfortunately Arcanum modding is not like say NWN modding .
    It is extremely hard and complicated to make changes which is probably why not too many ppl made mods for it.
    So instead of having ideas and the executing them i have to first find what is possible then pretend to like a lot the changes that are possible and then make the changes if indeed those changes are possible.

Doing it this way : way hey i have a cool idea lets do it proves to be non practical and very dissapointing when it fails and your work is lost .I have to do it the other way.

7. KAIGUN

KAIGUN New Member

Well after a long abscence...playing NWN and its add ons HoTU etc..I reinstalled Arcanum and then the CAr Mod.\\

Simply its excellent lots of fun and intresting additions to the original.

Arcanum is still much more fun to play than NWN or other RPGs ....but unfortunatly it isnt more fun too look at.

Really doesnt need to be an Arcanum 2 not enuf of one was really sold....just reissue Arcanum with clearer crisper graphics and a workable Game spy internet option and it would sell .....Id buy it again for internet and graphics....with possible easier modding tools too

BUT thanks to Chris Car Arcanum ***belated I know***is great.

Our Host!