Book Reviews and Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, Oct 1, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, I could probably go to a book forum to do this, but I want to do it here. Anyways, I think most of you will appreciate this. As you can gather, this thread will be devoted to book reviews, discussion of books and things like that. Let the intellectualism spread it's tendrils and bring forth it's loyal subjects!

The Sigma Protocol - Robert Ludlum

The Sigma Protocol is one of Robert Ludlum's books. Sadly, he won't be writing any more. He died in March 2001, so unless he has unwritten ones to be released after his death, no more shall be forthcoming. The good news is that you'll never need to wait for the next one - it's already out! Ludlum has written quite a few books, yet I only recognised three of them, mainly because they're a trilogy of sorts, and one has been turned into a movie - The Bourne Identity.

Anyway, onto The Sigma Protocol. It's a damn good read. I really enjoyed reading the book - reluctant international businessman Ben Hartman is almost murdered by an old college buddy of his when they coincidentally meet for the first time in 15 years. Needless to say, someone has taken an unfortunate interest in Ben, who until this happened was no threat to anyone. Now he's kind of interested in what's happening, given the now repeated attempts on his life.

Meanwhile, in America, DoJ Agent Anna Navarro (can anyone else spot where a very similar name comes from?) is given a highly secretive assignment. Find out who's killing a bunch of old men, who only have one thing in common - an old OSS (pre-CIA) clearance file marked 'Sigma'.

As you've probably guessed, these two cross paths, but there are enough twists, interesting characters and a decent plot to keep it all interesting and tied together. Definitely worth borrowing from a library, and possibly buying if political and economical consipiracies are your type of thing. It's a well written book, and I found it compelling enough to not wanting to stop reading. No real flaws, but no nothing outstanding. Just a good, solid thriller.

Final score - 7.5/10

Talon of the Silver Hawk: Book One of the Conclave of Shadows - Raymond E Feist.

As you can guess from the title, and more likely the author, this is a fantasy. If you don't like fantasy, you won't like this, so stop reading. If you like fantasy, keep reading, because this is good fantasy.

Talon of the Silver Hawk is not only the name of the book, it's the name of the main character. While waiting for his naming vision on the mountain which he's supposed to get it from (amazing stuff, huh?) his village is mindlessly slaughtered. Talon only just survives, and is rescued by some rather interesting people. That's as much of the plot as I can give away without spoiling it.

This is yet another series set on the world of Midkemia, but I'm not complaining. It's a rich, solid, proven world, even though this book is largely set in areas not previously dealt with - specifically the realms of the east such as the Kingdom of Roldem and various duchies in the area.

This is up to Feist's usual standards, meaning it's exciting, well-thought out with a good plot, but few twists. Still, there's more than enough background to the story - I'm talking 2 full series' - so it probably helps if you've read them, but Feist explains enough to make it as easy to understand as possible.

My only real complaint with this book is that it's set so far ahead in time of Magician, Feist's work that started it all. From what I've worked out, it's about 100 years after the story in Magician began in this book. That maths is pretty shaky though, seeing as I never read the Serpentwar Saga (the second series based in Midkemia, after the Riftwar Saga), but it's a good approxiamation. At any rate, I have a thing about original characters not being there, seeing as they're the ones you 'bond' with best. Think of it as a spin-off of a TV show - the original was the best, but you can't really complain about the continuing series', because they're still good. I guess Star Trek could be a good example of this, but I never liked Star Trek, so I couldn't tell you.

At any rate, the closest analogy is spin-off of a series, although it's really more like a continuation of a series, just a lot further down the line. Don't get me wrong - it is a very good book, I'm just personally not a big fan of seemingly endlessly continuing series'. If you like fantasy, definitely borrow it, and if you like Feist, you should almost definitely buy it.

8.5/10

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

The last book that I read (which wasn?t by Pratchett) is Baudolino by Umberto Eco.

First I have to say that I have never read any of Umborto?s books. I only saw ?Name of the Rose? movie. If the case with ?NotR? is the same as with most movies based on books (book is great and movie, even if it?s very good is much worse) then I have to say Baudolino is worse than NotR. I?ll have to read the other book first to decide though.

Anyway the plot is about a young boy who accidentally encounters Frideric Barbarossa near his village. The boy (Baudolino) makes up some story about Barbarossa being victorious in the battle, which comes true so Barbarossa thakes the boy with him. Years pass and Barbarossa does not feel he?s sitting as firmly in his chair as he would like to. Baudolino wants to help and convinces Barbarossa to set off on a journey to find Priest John?s kingdom in order to get blessed by him thus have his position as Christian monarch strengthened.

The story itself is a tale related by Baudolino to another man he met in a besieged city. As the author wrote in one place the story is just like that journey: at times exciting, at times dull and tiresome. It?s the main weakness of the book in my opinion. It often lacks that ?thing? which makes you want to get to the next page asap. It somewhat lacks ?chemistry? among main travelers: they go on but don?t really know why or where they should get (I think it was an intention of an author ? yet it does no make a book thrilling).

Overall it is a good book, an interesting read but be aware that sometimes you might just not feel like reading another chapter. Nevertheless I have to say that the ending is very rewarding and amusing.

7/10

3. xento

xento New Member

Well well well. This is certainly a popular thread, isnt it?

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Nbrosz NO SPAM IN THIS THREAD OK? We're really trying to introduce and keep up some more interesting than "I just hit my finger today" topics.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.
    In Ender's Game an alien race which is generally called the buggers because of how much they look like *gasp* bugs has invaded twice and nearly wiped us out. The book is set a ways in the future and we are preparing for the next invasion. One thing we have been doin for awhile is basically breeding super genius children. That way they have reflexes that haven't been dulled by age but the brains of a much older person. Anyway, they train these children to be commanders of interplanetary vessels. They are trained at the Battle School, a space station. The book follows the life of one of the children through his training. It is an excellent read. The other books in the series are really good too but Ender's Game is the best.
    9/10

6. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Sabriel

Garth Nix

I just finished this delightful book, and discovered this thread, so I thought I'd write about it. ^_^ Sabriel is about... well, a girl named Sabriel, who discovers that her necromancer father has been trapped or killed by an enemy who seeks her as well. She has her father's sword, and his bells, and is determined to find him at all cost. I can't tell you guys an more after that though.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought that it was very well written, and very gripping. I thought Nix's version of magic was very creative, using rune-like "Charter Marks" to cast spells. Hmmm... nifty. He also goes into depth about her different bells, which are magical necromancer bells. (I really want a set of magical bells now, I don't know about you guys though...) Sabriel is an interesting hero, both wise beyond her years and increadibly ignorant and the same time. She's no god, which makes her more like able. However, the by far coolest character is Mogget, her companian of sorts. "He's" so very sarcastic and funny. (He is in quotes because it isn't really a he) It's definately worth picking up. My only gripe? Touchstone. He's really annoying in my opinion, all goody goody and junk. It's also very sad in the end... although I won't mention why. (And unfortunately, goody goody Touchstone doesn't die... ) but I definately recomend it. I'd give it a....
    9/9.5 out of ten (Touchstone is annoying, but he's pretty much my only gripe... well, there's one small other one, but I don't really want to say it, it would spoil some stuff.)

7. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I would just like to call to everyones attention that Stephen King is calling it quits, in case you havn't heard. The good news is he has promised to finish his Dark Tower series. He claims to have already finished V and VI, which will be released fall 03 and spring 03 respectively. Part VII, which is still in the works, is tentatively scheduled for release fall 04. This work has been in progress for the last 33 years, and is an exceptional read. Do yourself a favor and read it, I promise you won't be dissapointed.

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

The Left Hand of Darkness
    Ursula K. LeGuin

LeGuin has really outdone herself in this one; the world she invents is intricate and infinitely complex. For one thing, it's a planet in an ice age, and civilization clings tenuously to an existence between two walls of glaciers. For another, the entire species is entirely asexual.
    This means all sorts of things for her novel; everything is slightly different, from religion to politics to something as seemingly insignificant as inheritance. For example, it is the "child of the flesh" that inherits rule from its mother; those the King fathers are a second tier.
    We're taken into the story by way of another human. Genry Ai is a male, and he is human; he is a one-man diplomatic mission to the entire world, in the hopes of helping to ease its eventual joining of a kind of league of worlds. It's his observations that we follow.
    But, as is typical of LeGuin's work, it's not the plot that makes this book good; it's the philosophy she plays with. From concepts of communism (a driving issue when this book was written) to family structure to precognition and even to the effects of sex, both gender differences and the act itself, on culture.
    A few quotes:
    *though Retard might like that one

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Oooh, I've read that. A truly insightful book. Have you also read The Dispossessed? It is the same kind of sociological exploration, but focuses on communism (some say anarchy) versus capitalism, rather than gender issues.

I have only read pulp fantasy recently, and my Interzones. so I'll go back to an old favourite. I recommend Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.

It's original, both in setting and plot. It's lively, but well thought out, and the characters manage to be archetypes without being dull. It's a bit of a mystery saga, too, which keeps you eager to read on.

10. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Amazingly enough, The Dispossessed was one half of my summer reading assignment. I liked it, but I think Left Hand is better; I had trouble following the plot of Dispossessed sometimes. To be fair, that's probably because it was assigned... but hey.

11. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

That's funny - of the two books I'd say I prefer The Dispossessed. I think maybe because it sums up much of what I feel about the politics involved.

12. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

I was going to mention this but ya beat me to it so....

Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub

This is a follow-up to the 20 year old The Talisman and the main character is the same although grown up Jack Sawyer has become a famous detective in california and retired with a benchmark career ahead of him and moved to a small town (sorry can't remember where likely maine but I don't think so)He has some issues as he has subconciously buried the events of his 12th year but they keep trying to surface. Adding fuel to the fire is a series of strange murders of children taking place in the town he now lives in and some semi supernatural things that are happening to him personally which combine to start drawing those buried memories out. He is fighting not to let this happen and being pressured by the sheriff (who is a friend of his whom he helped solve a murder before his retirement) to get officially involved in the current murders which he is also resistant to.

This book doesn't have near the fantasy element that the talisman did but is still a great read. If you have read the first book read this one with that in mind and give it a chance on its own, if you haven't I would say read both in either order (although reading the talisman first would give you insight into the Jack Sawyer character you won't have without it.)

Plato

yes I'm serious and for entertainment. The arguments are highly entertaining as well as enlightening, although it's a little work (at least for me) to keep track of who's speaking and who's who. Anyway if you are interested in debate you really need to read any of this. Of course you should if your interested in philosophy too.

The Left Behind Series

Christian or not these are a good read. Solid characters and an interesting story. If you aren't familiar with it the series concerns a group of people dealing with the aftermath of a global wide disappearance which many come to believe is the rapture predicted in Revelation (in fact from the pov of the author this is the case although many also deny it) and the things that follow the rapture which are also predicted in Revelation. Although Christian in nature it isn't just a pulpit in book form like I said it has a good story plenty of action, some romances, espionage, twists turns red herrings. The main weakness here is that the authors tend to overtell backstory elements as though assuming the reader hasn't read the first x books which can get annoying if you have but its easy to skim through those parts.

Michener

I read Hawaii and it was an excellent read although it requires quite a committment in terms of time. I haven't read anything else but it doesn't seem possible having read one of his books that he could write something bad.

13. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

ARGH!

Being 6 weeks into an "Ancient and Medieval Philosophy" course, I am sick to death of Plato... (though you are right - it can be interesting!)

14. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Ooo! I thought of another.

Goodbye, Darkness

William Manchester

This book is absolutly wonderful, even if you aren't that interested in WWII. It's a memoir of the pacific war, written by the brilliant author, William Manchester. It's touching, funny, and extremely sad at the same time. I know that some people think that war books/memoirs are the dullest thing on the planet, but this book had me rivited. It's definately worth a read. Here's a passage that I find completely hilarious:

The build up is that his troops find a case of sake, which they draw straws for. Manchester draws the straw for the "110 proof sake" which would have been reserved for officers. He drank the whole thing.

"I felt as though I had been pumped full of heluim and shot through a wind tunnel. It was, without doubt, the greatest hangover of my life, possibly the worst in the history of war fare. .... During our hourly ten minute breaks I simply fainted, only to waken to jeers from the colonel. I needed an emetic, or, better still, a hair of the dog. Knowing of the colonel's fondness for the grape, aware that he carried a flask which would have brought me back from this walking death, I prayed he would take pity on me. When he didn't, I prayed instead that Jap bullets would riddle his liver and leave him a weeping basket case. ... after the war, I learned, with great satisfaction, that one of his platoon leaders, ... encountered him in a bar and beat the shit out of him."

One of my favorites! 10/10

15. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Sorry to steal your thunder wdygfy, I would just like to mention Bob Salvatore, an enjoyable author worth checking out. I won't do a book report on any of his given works, but I will recommend a few select titles/trilogies. First would have to be his Dark Elf Trilogy. Rarely does one find fantasy writing of this caliber. An associated trilogy would be the Ice Wind Dale saga. There are other books invloving the storyline offered in these trilogies, but this should get you started. The Cleric Quintet, Another Forgotten Realms based adventure is a good read, and is loosely tied with with the aforementioned books.
    Bob's Demon War novels are worth a gander if there's nothing out there to catch your interest, but I was a little dissapointed. I guess I was jaded after the stories of Drizzt and company.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

As I've read Name of the Rose (but not seen the movie) I'll do a review...

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

This is a rather famous novel, due to the controversy surrounding it's origin - is it a true story, or one of fiction? Only Eco himself will know, but for the rest of us, it's a bloody good read.

The book is set at a rather remote Benedictine (or possibly Franciscan - one of the two) abbey in Medieval Italy. The man relating the book is a young monk in training, travelling with a more experienced, and brilliant, monk called William. During the course of their week long visit, William is asked to solve what appears to be a murder at the abbey, but as time goes on, so does the body count.

At times slow and ponderous (not to mention confusing) this book is excellent - the characters are unique, and there are more twists and turns than you can imagine. The conclusion has the most surprising twist of all - no one I've spoken to ever saw it coming. William is definitely the most developed character, and it is worth reading the book to see his powers of deduction, reasoning and logic in action.

While the writing style is at times antiquated, this could be purposeful on Eco's part, or it could be that it comes from the manuscript he claims to have found. Nonetheless, if you can slog through some of the slower parts, this is an excellent mystery/thriller novel.

9/10

17. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Ah, yes, The Name of the Rose. That's a great book! As is Foucault's Pendulum, also by Umberto Eco.

Incidentally, there is no controversy. Eco wrote the book as fiction. That's indisputable. Some have fallen for the book's opening, wherein he claims to have "found" the text, but that is simply the spice to season the book :)
    It would be neat to think he found this 13th Century manuscript and somehow managed to be the only one to know about it, translate it, and publish it under his name, but... he didn't.

18. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Please feel free to review some of my writings if you wish. Yes they are amature level and there are a few grammar errors but I think you'll find it an entertaining read.

It is about the Elves of Sosaria. It features many stories about them and information on their culture and beliefs, mostly writen by myself for the enjoyment of my former UO guild mates. It's been a few years since the 90 member guild dispanded but the website is still around....

http://erosrex.tripod.com/ELS/id8.html

19. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

Enders game... that was a cool book. I didnt liek the sequels as much though.

But the best of all time... you guessed it.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Nothing beats it. Not even close. :nod:

20. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

William Golding's Lord of the Flies is one of my all time favorites, and while this was standard required reading for many people in their early educational years, I have noticed a drop off in it's popularity here in the states. If you missed this one make sure you get a copy. I pull it out of the closet every couple of years and it never gets old.

Our Host!