Bloodlines: RPG or FPS?

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

RPGVault have <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/512/512140p1.html">done another interview with Leon</a> about <A href="http://www.vampirebloodlines.com">Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines</a>. It's another 9 questions in addition to the 13 questions they asked in <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/510/510375p1.html">their last interview</a>. That makes a total of <b>22 questions</b> RPGVault have asked Leon Boyarsky about Bloodlines recently. So there you go. Here's a snip:
    <br><blockquote><b>Jonric: </b>To extend that thought, to what extent does Bloodlines represent a departure from your previous style? And what have you found to be most interesting or challenging in this regard?
    <br>
    <br><b>Leonard Boyarsky:</b> Well, most obviously, Bloodlines' biggest departure for us is using Valve's next-gen Source Engine technology, as well as moving to first-person perspective and a totally new combat system that strays away from the traditional point and click combat interface.
    <br>
    <br>It's also a step forward to be able to compete visually with any other games regardless of genre. I'd say the most challenging and interesting aspect of creating Bloodlines so far has been the different approaches we're using to bring the Troika RPG to the first-person view.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br><b>Jonric: </b>Why did you decide to use the first-person perspective, and how does it differ designing and creating a first-person game versus a third-person one?
    <br>
    <br><b>Leonard Boyarsky:</b> We decided to go with a first-person perspective for a number of different reasons, not the least of which was the immersion of seeing the Vampire world through that point of view, and being able to interact face to face with NPCs and see their reactions to you. We also liked the immediacy of the first-person view, and the excitement it brings to gameplay.
    <br>
    <br>In many ways, it's a different experience developing a game with a first-person, full 3D engine because the development pipeline is vastly different, from creating characters all the way to laying out maps. The aspects that are still the same are things like dialogues and quests.
    <br></blockquote>
    <br>Be sure to check out the new screenshots that are sprinkled throughout the interview. Like <a href="http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=2115975&object_id=566186&channel_id=227&page_title=Vampire%3A+The+Masquerade+-+Bloodlines+Game+Style+Interview&adtag=network%3Dign%26size%3D468x60%26channel%3Drpgvault%26site%3Drpgvault_hub%26channel%3Dfeatures%26type%3Dpartner">The Glowing Man with the Golden Gun</a>, <a href="http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=2115977&object_id=566186&channel_id=227&page_title=Vampire%3A+The+Masquerade+-+Bloodlines+Game+Style+Interview&adtag=network%3Dign%26size%3D468x60%26channel%3Drpgvault%26site%3Drpgvault_hub%26channel%3Dfeatures%26type%3Dpartner">Radioactive Man</a> and <a href="http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/vtmbloodlines0405-05_1083951526.jpg">The Cat in the Hat</a>.

2. xento

xento New Member

Very interesting. Is it using the Unreal 2 Engine? The graphics remind me alot of Deus Ex 2, which uses that graphics engine.

By the way, the eyes on that robed figure in the Cat in the Hat screenshot look wierd, unless they are supposed to look like he's had one beer too many.

3. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Are you still in the whomb? Vampire is using the Half-Life 2 Source engine, dumbass. And the Malkavian in the robe is wearing funny sunglasses.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Sunglasses? Take a closer look, that ain't glasses. That's a Malkavian, a clan that's supposed to be deeply insane, and the eyes reflect that pretty well I think.

I bet you're thinking of the fellow with the queer hat wearing a fur COAT. He appears to be wearing sunglasses. Duh...

5. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Oh, he said the dude in the robe, I just skimmed the post and saw Cat in the Hat, so I thought he was talking about him. I don't think the hooded figure is even a vampire, because his skin is too dark. Although his teeth do look rather long. The Cat in the Hat guy is, however, a Malkavian.

6. DarkUnderlord

I think you mean womb and I think he is.

7. xento

xento New Member

I haven't been keeping up with the Vampire game much so far.

And I wasn't even stating an opinion; I was asking a question. People ask questions to learn.

8. DarkUnderlord

Yeah, you'd also have to be living under a rock too, in order to not know that.

Sometimes though, people do research. Research makes a person not ask a question because they discover the answer on a learning journey of much fulfilment and satisfaction which they undertake and partake of themselves. It also helps the person to get out from under their rock.

9. xento

xento New Member

Our Host!