Australians denied British passpots (guess why?)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womble, Sep 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Womble

Womble New Member

...BECAUSE THEY SPEAK ENGLISH. I kid you not.

Language test's no plain English
    September 27, 2004

HUNDREDS of Australians are being denied British passports - because, bizarrely, they don't speak English badly enough.

They have fallen foul of rules, introduced last month by British Home Secretary David Blunkett, under which foreigners who want to settle in Britain are asked to establish that they have the language skills to "fulfil their duties as a citizen".

But immigration insiders say this is aimed solely at applicants with a limited grasp of English.

Those already fluent are required to obtain a certificate from one of 900 specially appointed notaries vouching for their ability.

When Lynn Flynn, an Australian mother of two who has lived in Britain for six years, applied for a passport, she cited her master's degree from Greenwich University as proof of her proficiency in the language.

But she was rejected and told to find a notary.

"It's ludicrous - a criminal waste of time," Ms Lynn said

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag ... 7,10888951^13762,00.html

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

We have to do something to keep the Aussies out.

Believe me, it was hard to find a set of rules that still let Eastern European criminal gangs in (yes, Jinxed, YOU!) but would keep out those bloody Aussies.

Hopefully this move will make London a place where unskilled bar jobs are once more handed out to Brits.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Geez, I didn't think our accents were that bad...or good, I suppose. Then again, Fatman, it's the reverse here - lots of unskilled casual positions go to backpackers and such. Fruit picking, which pays quite well for the simple, if hard, work is absolutely dominated by backpackers.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Where as in the states it's done by Mexicans. I'm sensing a trend that only British people want the shitty jobs in their own country to go to people from their own country.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I understand their disappointment. Being denied pot like that... what a horrible way to treat people.

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

7. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

DE....that was so funny I hadta read it to my wifey. :lol:

Our Host!