ArtGen - Tool for creating Art files

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, Nov 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

2. Charonte

Charonte Member

Let's face it, if you're working on this or other projects solely because of popular opinion you've already got bigger issues.

If you don't want to add a feature because it is of no use or interest to you then don't. You don't need to justify your actions with some crap about how it's "not going to be popular" - someone, somewhere will want such a thing eventually. Guaranteed.

This is just reiterating what EJ already mentioned, but I'm not sure if you're getting the point or not.

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

You must be kidding me :lol: Isnt that obvious that I dont fully understand to any sentence written in English, and these guys should know that because they are who were flaming about that they dont understand to anything I wrote, for example that ArcanumAlive project.

I've released ArtGen publicly because rroyo were interested and I've thought that it might be useful to other modders as well, originally I've made this tool only for myself :) and ArcanumAlive team that works on OpenArcanum, so I dont need to work on this tool anymore, it has features I wanted.... but before I abandon this tool completely, I will include suggestions rroyo gave me and that facade generator in next version, then I start working on OpenArcanum again.

PS: Wait, what the hell, I dont know why I'm even discussing something here, and why I'm explaining something to you, I just came here to inform and get some suggestions, so I just leave TA as I always do, thats the best thing I can do :lol:

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not trying to derail the thread - just see if there's a usable work-around of the current debate.

Personal thought: With TTF2BMP and ArtGen's multi-image capabilities, it should be possible to add new fonts without the creation of a use-specific program.

So - I finally found a TTF2BMP.exe but when I go to run the program I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to termininate the application."

I've never seen this before, so how would I go about getting it to initialize?

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yep, you dont need a font support in ArtGen, you can simply convert font to bitmap, and then you can split this bitmap manually into bitmaps where every bitmap will contain one letter, then you can simply load that bitmaps with ArtGen and build art font :)

Same way can be created a facades, except in this case you need to apply a tile mask on every chunk on image you want to make facade from ;)

About that TTF2BMP tool, I recommended that because of source codes, you can look into them and checkout how its dont, because you need to save every letter to own bitmap, you need to edit sources of this tool, or make your own.

So you want this font features in ArtGen too?

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Please tell me the tile masking option is planned for the facade creator. In addition to new rugs, I'd like to turn the bridge sections around and having them ready for use would be a definate plus.
    Manually adding blocking tiles is not bad for those willing to take the time and effort but too many people operate on the notion of "If it's not convienient, I'm not going to do it."

Being a fan of one-stop shopping - Yes I would.
    There have been times already I wished for a greater variety of available scripts because the stock versions wasn't quite what I'd like to see.
    Also - If you've tried to read the current Mage Script, you get a nice case of eyestrain trying to fill in the gaps in the letters. This is fine if the note or book is a 1000 years old but visually annoying for something that was supposed to be just written. Being able to add a darker version would be a real help for all current and future modders.

7. Crypton

Crypton Member

Ehm, I dont understand what you mean by tile masking, I mean by tile mask a 2 color bitmap where is saved shape of tile :) This tile mask bitmap is also saved in Arcanum, checkout tig.dat archive, file pattern.bmp :)

Maybe you meant tile background? because I plan to add terrain background support, so you can select for example grass or desert surface as background :)

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The blocking tiles.
    The stock facades come with no-NPC use areas already blocked off. For example: The outside edges of bridges, mountains, the walls of the temples, or castles.

I was wondering if the program was going to have the option of letting the user designate which tiles were to be blocked off during the creation of the facade.

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Oh, so you mean tile blocking, not masking :) I dont know much about how WorldEd finds out if tile is blocked or not from facade art, but I guess that it has something to do with facwalk.xx files :) so I'll check out how its done...
    And I think that its possible to add this feature as well.

Now I see that facade generator will need to be as standalone tool, because I dont have so much place in GUI so for many features and tile block editor :)

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not a problem! :)

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Okey so I checked that facwalk files, and yes, they contain also tile block info :) plus I found a complete structure of this facwalk format, so its possible to generate them as well...

I will report back when I have this facade generator ready to release, see you later then.

12. Charonte

Charonte Member

If you can't wait for a font converter rroyo, HGE used to have one as a prebuilt package for their engine: http://hge.relishgames.com/

It may or may not be enough for Arcanum (can't remember), but it will quite happily dump a bmp of any font installed in the system.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It seems they still do. Thanks. :)

I'll check this out as soon as I get some sleep.

14. Loner

Loner New Member

Fantastic tool :thumbup: !!!

Only one question: where I find something manual for this tool?

Regards.

15. Zak

Zak New Member

Necro.

Crypton, did you ever do anything about adding your font/facade support to this?

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

I actually did, but I rather decided to not continue with development of this tool, since it wasn't even a bit useful to anybody (=no new content were created with this tool), so it was waste of time and I'm not even going to release last version. Yeah, another project murder and whining...

Here's at least screen of unfinished gui layout that was planned for next version:
    [​IMG]

Good bye.

P.S. Mods should probably lock this topic in order to avoid another gravedigging.

17. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Ah, our crybaby is back!

Jesus H. Christ.

18. Crypton

Crypton Member

I actually liked that crybaby avatar that you gave me before, it suited me well, don't know why someone removed that. :thumbup:

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Well, at least I'm not the one hoarding stuff for oneself and being a cunt about it.

For fuck's sake, lighten up and stop being such a baby.

20. Zak

Zak New Member

If you've completed a version that is capable of facades/fonts, upload it somewhere please. I'm sure someone somewhere will get some use out of it - certainly enough to justify the couple of minutes it will take to upload.

If you weren't able to get a final version to manage with facades/fonts, then that's a different story...

Our Host!