ArcanumAlive Project

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, May 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

You know, I see that you did not get point of my response... also nobody asked you to join to this hassle, also everytime I see you, you try to call attention to yourself in some way.

I've got email that somebody answered to this thread, so I checked this this thread, and I saw that Dark Elf has appreciated my work a bit, so I thanked him because of his support that he offered to me, now suddenly Drog Black Tooth appears and starts messing my thread with his "...is a pretty dumb idea" and other stuff.

So who is actually bitching ? :thumbup:

Nevermind, I dont need to argue with anybody who has not idea about coding and re, so I'm leaving TA again because I'm sure that somewhere else people will support me more, even they dont know anything about coding,

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That wasn't hard to figure out.

OK, so you appear here, see that Drog says it's a bad idea and I say I don't have an idea what is your point and what you do? Escape? When someone argues with me I prove him wrong, when someone says he doesn't understand me, I explain. But then again I may be strange.

I'm sure too, because mindless idiots are pretty much everywhere. So yeah well we're sorry that we demand reason, proof and argumentation to trust any project. I wish you will find some blind supporters that will believe in you just by sheer unjustified faith without knowing a thing about your project or asking questions, because obviously we're too stupid for that.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're back to your whiny self, Crypton, huh? Alright, so be it.

4. Minuos

Minuos New Member

That's the best thing I've seen for some time. Your societal contributions know no limit, Drog.

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I'm impressed by the amount of support that was given initially.

Then Drog pounced on the flame bait and all went to hell.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I think Crypton was the one pouncing the flame bait himself. Acting like a soft whiny bitch with no self-distance is like walking around with KICK ME IN THE NUTS I DARE YOU written on your forehead.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I still have no clue what he was on about.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

He's supposedly making a WHOLE NEW ENGINE for Arcanum, regardless of the fact that he apparently has the brains of a gnat and the patience of a schitzophrenic wolf in front of a steak. I'll admit the video looks kinda nice, but god DAMN he's a whining little shit.

I don't care how pretty it is and how awesome the 'new engine' is (if ever it materialises), I have no respect for him and never will. Nothing shits me more than something potentially cool ruined by the fact that it's creator is a waste of flesh.

9. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Crypton: What I do not get, that you are doing the same thing as before, acting all whiny and bitchy. You know that you will get yourself nowhere if you are acting like this.

Drog: *Looks at the avatar that was giving to Crypton* Weird, but also very true.

10. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

I'd like to know just how the gameplay is improved. If it's not, are there any downsides? If it's +/- 0, then I'd like to know what the not-so-obvious benefits would be? If there aren't any, I won't bother asking why you're actually doing this, I'll just assume you got lots of time that needs filled.
    I'm not a technically inclined person myself, so I couldn't care less about how much work is required from a technical viewpoint. As an Arcanum nut however, I care a lot about the end results. So if you could please answer three simple questions, I'd be much obliged.
    Gameplay:
    1. How is it the same/different?
    2. Is it more stable? Even with all the patches and so forth, Arcanum still crashes too much for my liking.
    Semi-Technical-ish:
    3. Would modders be able to add additional sprites? I'd like Arcanum to have more sprite variance in the clothing department. Especially if each piece had its own graphics (ie: seperate helmet, gloves, boots graphics, as opposed to all those areas dictated by the torso slot). Unique items that actually look unique during gameplay would be nice.

11. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

From what I've gleaned, Crypton intends to develop an expandable Arcanum. The expansions would include added content and functionality, such as online play.

Regardless of the feasibility of the task, this is a fantastic motivation for Crypton to develop his coding skills and understanding.

Continuing to post updates here should prove to be an excellent exercise in skin thickening.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone will have the time and persistance to do it, even if it ever becomes technicaly possible. The ammount of sprites is just crazy. Imagine adding a specific helmet visible when worn. For every playable race/gender. In every race/gender - for every armor type. In every armor type - for every color of armor type. And in there, standing and crawling. That is for nine directions. I'll stop here before my brain explodes.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic here but is it me or does the Nasrudin sprite have a funky afro? Thanatos fashion is a little behind the times, or perhaps ahead in Arcanum case...

This just proves my lack of knowledge for modding and the technical stuff, I had always assumed by creating the image of a helmet that you wear it would automatically be set for different bodies, but if you have to create every possible variation individually then I do not see anyone ever creating that. As much as I wish you could see a curve in your falchion or the roundness of your shield, hell having capes or the ability to dye your armor would be great.

14. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

When put that way...and here I had the idea of Mastery robes with their respective magick emblems on the back.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, in Diablo 2 character sprites are divided into body parts, so it's possible to add new stuff without having to re-render everything. Moreover, on modern PCs it'd be easier to just use 3D models, they will look just as good as Arcanum's original sprites.

That's the theory, though. It's extremely unlikely that a new engine will be ever made. It took a team of professional full-time programmers with many years of experience 3 years to finish the Arcanum engine. And it's still rather buggy and unstable.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Again my inexperience with this topic, it took them 3 years but is that not relative to the era and the technology available at the time? Surely with modern technology something of that level could be fabricated in much less time?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but the software isn't going to write itself.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Obviously, I was just under the impression that to do something like what you mentioned with the Diablo 2 models there would already be templates available these days.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2D isometric game engines are long dead, if we don't count a small number of indie projects. So, I'm afraid, you will have to make everything from scratch yourself.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Must have been tired. From the videos, it appeared to me as if the graphics were smoother, and I thought that if he could achieve that without the insane amounts of bloom, it would be good enough to host. Seems like I was wrong this time around.

Our Host!