Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Hang tight, people!
    D.E. got ahold of a bad download and that's one reason it's so much smaller.

Edit: Problem solved.

The other reason is that I removed over 2/3 of the Spider Cave; which made the townmap considerably smaller, and thus, the over-all size of the installer.

And - I've recieved a number of grumbles about the old style of the Well of Lost Souls. Plus- I found a maze I liked a lot better.

2. Oracle

Oracle Member

Rroyo, I have the feeling the dark helm isn't working like the the discription (-20 alignment +20 magic aplitude )

Currently playing a Elf, he jumped from +15 MP to +75 MP when equiping the dark helm, while the alignment only decreased to -5.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I just ran a couple tests. One with D'ren (sp?) and another with my maxed-out half-elf Marie and got a couple different results.

D'ren went from 25 in magic to 40 but only went from 0 to -14 in alignment.
    Marie went from 0 magic to 1 and alignment went from 4 to -1.

It would seem there's a bug.

BTW: This is done on the one at the pawnshop. Are you using the same one?

Also - I'd like to hear from other players who use the Dark Helm, and please give me the before and after stats. Thanks.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Could it have something to do with the "Magic Power Avaible" thingy?

5. Oracle

Oracle Member

I bought the dark helm from the wise women in shrouded hills. 89% magic avaible.

Virgil MP 0 -> 40 Alg. 0 -> -3
    Sogg MP 0 -> 40 Alg. 10 -> 6

6. Wolfsbane

I don't really understand your statistic stuff below your "89% magic avaible", but is that their MPA or is it yours? It differs from character to character.

7. Oracle

Oracle Member

Stats no dark helm equipped -> Stats dark helm equipped

Virgil's Stats MPA 0 -> 40 Alignment. 0 -> -3
    Sogg's Stats MPA 0 -> 40 Alignment. 10 -> 6

Hope it clears it up for you ?

8. Wolfsbane

Arright. Now I get it.

What was their magic alignment at the time of your experiment? I think it counts, too.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

as posted above 0 MPA for both NPCs

Edit:

I upgraded to 4.2 but now people in Vormat town don't speak to me again.
    Do this happen to you guys as well?

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Spotted your edit and checked it out.

With my working copy, not a problem! Everyone said their lines. However - With the download version, the general goods merchant - at the dock - was the only one who wouldn't speak. I didn't make it into the Elf House, the mines, or Vorman's Lab but I think the merchant was the only one who was glitched.

Someone want to let me know about Serta, Invald, or Vorman?

On another note: Gross, not too long ago you gave me a good idea for incorporating the Time Traveller into the Half-Ogre quest. Check it out:
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/Time_Machines.jpg

The red panels turned a bit brown from darkening the image to compensate for Arcanum's brightness, but they're not too awful bad.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    I'm going to bundle these babies up for other modders to play with.

11. Oracle

Oracle Member

Tried again, still no talk from anyone.

I switched back to 4.0 and all was fine again, even the dwarf on the dock.
    Still have the fealing something isn't right.
    I did get it from the megaupload link and not the older broken one.

On a side note, I would like to see the amulet on leader ship in game. I wanted to edit a map and put it in but it seems I lost the knowledge of working with the mapper.... Do you have any plans of putting it in ? I dont believe such amulet is over powered at all. I my previous game I always worn the bugged caladon armor :???:

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

A thought just hit me - Are you using an old save, and if so, had you talked to the folks before?

It's been a while, but I seem to recall having a similar problem with dialog changes and old saves.

If you are, then there's a problem I hadn't counted on and the only real fix is to start a new game.

It'll take a bit, but I'm going to download the TA copy and see what happens.

The amulet: Harry Baules has one he'll sell you.

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

I have the problem with a old save game.
    I believe my new character is new with wip4.2 though I'll check.

As for the amulet: Great!!
    I think the mod is great so far!! I readed your progress of modding in the books at shrouded hills. very impressive where you came from :thumbup:

I will check with a new character now.

EDIT:

A quich rush with a newly created orge in WIP4.2 a vormat town lost all their dialoges again... I replaced the Dat files nu luck I guess :(

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Alright - Assuming you just replaced the 4.0 dats with the 4.2 ones, did you double-click the DrogsCleanCache.bat?
    Try it, start fresh, and get back to me.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

Sorry still not working...

I also saw that Harry Baules did not got in his bed at night time. He walks to it but doesn't get in.

Also Amulet of leader ship has increased reaction from NPC on it but does it work? I did not see a bonus aster wearing it.

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I don't know what's going wrong on your end. I just checked out a fresh TA download and I got the exact same thing as before. Everyone but the general merchant talks.
    I just don't know.

About Harry: I must have bumped his bed when I messed with his inventory. Thanks for telling me.
    *makes note*

The amulet doesn't do too much. Here's the effects for it:
    {8203}{Max Followers: +1, Increased Reaction Adjustment}

There's one quick way to find out - as a test, make note of your followers' reaction, then go do something out of character - like kill an innocent person - and check again.

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

Re downloaded the WIP pack with no succes..
    I have no idea what is causing this...

I might reinstall arcanum and try again I guess

18. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hey Rroyo...great work man....I was playing over the weekend and was pretty psyched. I'm at the before BMC stage and thus far what you've done is very impressive.

A few things I did notice though:

- In Vormantown, one of the shopkeepers on the street...I believe the halfling male, has no dialogue.

- In Tarant, in the Boil, if you kill Maug and Pollock the two people you initially talk to in the bar before you talk to Miranda or Muggs, I believe they are a halfling male and a "pink" Orc, they still talk to you as if Maug and Pollock were still alive, as opposed to Miranda and Muggs who realize he's dead. I'm sure that's not something that happened because of your mod it is something that you might wanna have a look at.

- You might also want to mess around with the Vormantown quest with the dwarf cos the Armor you get for your troubles might be a tad much considering that the quest itself is relatively easy early on in the game.

And here are a few "wishful thoughts" for future ideas:

- a Charged Axe Schematic (Featherweight Axe + Charged Staff or Large Capacitor)

- A few items that are akin to the Figurines of Wonderous Power in AD&D. An item that when used temporarily summons and animal follower, pretty much what succour beat does only it works like the necromizer, with a countdown but no fatigue cost.

- A section in the Tarant or Caladon sewers that has outcasts living in it, like a society of Morlocks who scour for scraps and live in darkness. Perhaps a quest where someone above ground wants to know what is going on, which further develops into a quest where the morlocks request food or medicine to help them, minor stuff. then when you return with news to the surface, you could have a few options where you could tell the newspapers, report to the authorities for minor storyline hooks. Eventually you can take one of two quests where someone above wants you to "eliminate" them or you can choose to help them settle in a new location, perhaps and abandoned warehouse...maybe even the one you cleared of the rats. THus giving them a new home...maybe even get one of them to be a follower in return.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thanks.

Ok - On to the feedback...

1) Found it. It seems to have been a packing glitch, as three numbers from his dialog listing got removed. He's just a general store merchant, so it's not too big of a deal.

2) This is a stock-game problem that's getting fixed by the Arcanum patch.

3) You're right, that armour is a bit much but I'm not going to change it. One of my main selling points on adding Vormantown to my hack was just how much I could leave it original. For 4.0 that was just over 90%. With the renumbering of the scripts, that has dropped into the 80's. I'm going to leave well enough alone while it is still more original than not.

4) The Charged Axe schematic is being restored to the game. Troika did, or at least started to add this to the game, but then it got left out. If all goes well, 5.0 should have it.

5) The Figurines of Wonderous Power sounds similar to the Stillwater Sword. I think I like the idea though. *makes note*

6) The Morlocks in Tarant would be a bit much, but the idea of an underground society in the sewers does have an appeal to me. Maybe take a cue from TV's "Beauty and the Beast"?
    That area in the south end of the main sewers where the thieves are waiting would be a good place to start, I think. *makes another note*

I might be able to work the Morlocks into the twin cities.... Being the tech-oriented city, Adia has potential. I'd have to completely rebuild the area and set-up to include Eloi though.

One downside to trying to add Morlocks - Which NPCs should I use?
    The barbarians or the orcs?

Edit: I just had a thundering brainstorm! I know exactly where to put the Morlocks AND Eloi - The southwest corner of Despair! The game mentions the possibility of ancient ruins under the island, so, I add a mountain range to block off that area and set up a paradise valley where the long-forgotten former-Vendigrothians still live and are unknown to the outside world.

Heh....

20. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Amazing!

That sounds great!

As to what NPC to use, well the Morlocks would obviously tend to be more "orc-like"....maybe use the shades the game doesn't already use. Depending on which kind of Morlock you want to do you can either go with the original one having them be wild orc-like creatures...or if you wanted to go towards what the Guy Pierce movie brought, have:

- Morlock Drones: Low Perception and Intelligence, High Strength and Dexterity.

- Morlock Regent: Lower but not substandard strength and Dex. High intelligence and Mental powers (Mental Magic).

The Eloi being surviving Vendigrothians is a great idea....especially where you want to place them on Despair since you already have the vestiges of the Vendigroth Submarine. And for all intents and purposes, Arronax's destriction of Vendigroth could represent the great cataclysms that The tIme Machine alludes to, leading to the creation of the Morlocks and the Eloi.

This setting would be an ideal place to add in a few tech items and schematics that haven't been seen before, as well as give you quite a few storyline hooks. Like the Sub was damaged by the discharge from Arronax's attack and subsequent banishment and crashed and surfaced on the the Isle of Despair. There the survivors tried to rebuild their society but two factions arose, with different beliefs and gave rise to the Eloi and the Morlocks. Its a rough sketch of an idea.

I think I'll stop for now and let you absorb this before I start thinking about how to get Planet of the Apes into Arcanum too :p

Our Host!