Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I've got a question concerning new locations added to Arcanum in A:WIP. Which of the following points applies to the mod?
    • A. All of the new locations are marked by NPCs, placed in a way that makes them easy to stumble upon (like Torg's altar, conveniently placed just between Shrouded Hills and Tarant) or mentioned by NPCs (like, say, Gorgoth Pass in a rumor in Caladon).

B. Point A applies to some of the new locations, yet the only way to stumble upon some of the added locations is to ask Virgil to mark them on your map or do it yourself with the use of the Atlas of Arcanum.
    I'm asking because using the Atlas has quite a cheat feel to it, it does. I'd rather avoid cheating, but what I'd really want to avoid is missing out any of the added content, so I'm wondering whether I should make an exception for the Atlas cheat or not.

2. Zyreal

Zyreal New Member

I've went through that place so many times...and have yet to be mobbed my 8 foul spirits...I mean I've ran all over the dungeon, clicked on every sprite(or I seem to think)...and I just don't know how to get to the treasure room...any help?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Got service again for a few minutes. Yea!

Muro: 1) Thanks for solving the leveling problem.

2) "B" best describes the layout.
    Wander around and see how many new areas you can find on your own, then take a good look at the world map before using the map-marking.
    Given how wide the pop-up radius is on most places, you'll only miss one - maybe two places.

Zyreal: OK - At the back of the throne room, find the concealed passage by the throne.
    In the next section, you'll come to a wall that divides the corridor. Take the left door.
    In the room with a collapsed wall, find the concealed passage and it will take you to a somewhat X-shaped room.
    Make your way through that and you'll be in the tunnel with the foul spirits.

4. Technomancer

Technomancer New Member

Happy to see you still around rroyo. and i must salute once again for your fantastic work im pretty good at finding places to go but i never did find my way to the stuff in the Tomb on my own. Also in the vein of can get there is it possabile to reach the section of the iron clan across the stream from the room with the Idestrucatble and unpickable safe? and can said safe be opened at all?

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thank you.

The Iron Clan treasure room: Yes there is.
    Explore the mine and you'll find notes telling of a second entrance into the mines and where to start looking for the safe key.

6. madmarcus

madmarcus New Member

does WIP work with the Troika modules on this site? I see something about Lost Dungeon of Souls on the change list so I assume it is already included. Are the others already included?

7. conantin

conantin New Member

Hello everybody !

First I want to thank Rroyo for his amazing work !

I've encoutered a bug in shrouded hills with one particular object in Lloyd's inventory.
    It's an oak axe handle (or maybe an arbalest, I can't tell). As soon as I'm moving the mouse over it, I get a ctd.

As anyone heard of something like that ?

EDIT: It was something with the game engine probably, after a re-install, everything work fine and the arbalest looks exactly as it should !

8. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Most probably you had some mod installed that was incompatible with AWIP.
    Have separate installations for each new character you start, and never install any new mods over an existing character; and have a clean copy with 1.0.7.4 patch as well that you can quickly copy to a new directory for a new character.

9. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Does this work with the GOG version?

I can't find the supposed chest anywhere, but I get new backgrounds and portraits. :???:

10. Zephyr_Arsland

Zephyr_Arsland New Member

Well, first of all... I'm new here so hello everyone =)

Secondly, this A:WIP mod is absolutely gorgeous! Arcanum is one of the best CRPGs I've ever played and this mod makes it even better. Thanks rroyo!!

... that said, I've found some kind of glitch while playing the latest (6.0?) version. I'm really sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching around the forum, but couldn't find it, and after reading 48 pages of this here thread my eyes are quite tired.

So the thing is: I went to K'na Tha (sp?) for the Azram's Star quest. I get in, all's good, after a while I remember I have to shoot the great torches so I do so (My char fortunately was good at throwing). So I keep advancing for a bit, but after I shoot some fire thing I am teleported to a room with three doors and an unlit torch (untargetable), surrounded by darkness. It was midnight so I say "OK, maybe it's just nighttime"... I break out of the room and find another one near, with other three torches... enclosed by walls with no doors to get in. I run in all directions and eventually get the promt to access the world map, and while I can do so, my group won't leave K'na Tha no matter how I try. I'm one lv away from Spatial Distortion (So I could waltz right inside the enclosed room with the torches) and have no means of leaving (No scrolls of Teleportation and whatnot)... so basically I'm stuck there.

Is this a glitch? Am I just being dumb? I tried unsuccesfully for a long while to get INTO the room with torches to no avail.

Thanks in advance. I apologize for the wordy post.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Oh shit, it's the boss. Everyone act cool.

Try shooting the torches next to the doors rather than lockpicking/bashing through the said doors.

Just for your knowledge, you don't actually need any door opening skills in K'na Tha at all. All closed doors can be opened by shooting down the nearby torches.

So, how is Morpheus doing these days?

12. Zephyr_Arsland

Zephyr_Arsland New Member

I knew I was right :right: when I chose you to lead our operation.

Once again your efforts bring a great victory :VICTORY!: to the Unity. You restore my faith in the grand plan I have devised. :plan~:

Morpheus? I find it strange :strange: that you would inquire about him... he attends to his duties to the Unity... and so should you. :YOU!:

In other words, Muro... thanks a lot!
    ... I was being dumb, after all...

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Zephyr_Arsland: Welcome to the forum! And thank you.

Muro - Thanks for covering for me.

14. lightzy

lightzy New Member

I'm just wondering if it's time to replay arcanum again and I came across this mod.

My only problem with arcanum really was the balance..

You got to level cap pretty early in the storyline and all combat was cheesecake much earlier than that, with uber fireballs and a million followers and whatnot.
    Chars became ridiculously powerful..

Does this mod in any way address arcanums balance problems and make combat and the general game progression more fun?

thanks!

ps. I looked and saw that it added power to some spells though I'm not certain why to do that when it's already so easy to kill everything.
    also that you added fate point merchants and other powerful items and i don't understand these changes also

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Since rroyo can't be around too often these days, I'll take the liberty to answer at least some of those answers for you.

A:WIP introduces a new levelling scheme, in which progress in levels doesn't come as quickly as in vanilla. It's not very fluent and has a lot of jumps, though. I've talked with rroyo and he decided to implement my more fluent levelling scheme in A:WIP in the next update, but until that happens, you can install it manually by creating a folder named rules in Arcanum/data/, putting this into the rules folder and double-clicking the Arcanum/Drog'sCleanCache.bat.

Among other things, rroyo increased the damage of Stone Throw and Bolt of Lightning, while decreasing the damage of Harm and Fireflash. This was done in order to make the damage-per-usage-of-fatigue-and-spell-level of those spells more fair and coherent with the rest of the damage dealing spells, I believe.

You can always consider the Tempter of Fate an in-game hack. You can buy fate points and character points, but you don't have to if you consider it cheating.

"Other powerful items" as in the Upsy-Daisyuim Gems (weight: -10'000 stone) for example? These in particular are there to turn off the Carry Weight factor for those that wish to do so (for a great monetary price). Again, those that consider it cheating may simple not use these items.

16. Stoutfellow_Esq

Stoutfellow_Esq New Member

Top of the morning to you, gents!

I've recently picked up Arcanum again, and spiced it up with Forgotten Places 6.0. However, I do have some questions I couldn't find the answers to in this thread (or others).

1) At the end of the Ancient Trail (northeastish of Ashbury), I found a set of doors which are, apparently, impossible to open. Is this the end of it, or do I have to fetch an item /complete a quest to gain entry?

2) The Arcanum Atlas contains the locations of Veloren Island, Monaco, Freebooters Pass and Bone Hill (the last three on Catan). I can't seem to find my way to any of those. Are these unfinished and therefore unreachable, or have item/quest requirements?

By the way, brilliant work, rroyo!

Edit: found another post stating Dwarrowdelf (which seems to be at the end of Ancient Trail) is simply a set of unopenable doors and a dot on the world map. Alas.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going to try the WIP again; my connection has dropped out the last few download attempts, and I have bad experiences with Arcanum mods crashing on me, but the thought of more Arcanum content is so irresistable.

I just had a flash of a wonderful future, where Arcanum II was never made, but the original keeps on growing and changing. I'm especially looking forward to the steam-powered carriages driving through Tarant.

Thanks Rroyo! And all you other technowizards, for keeping Arcanum not only alive, but current.

PS - It works and it's BRILLIANT. Wow, after all these years, MORE Arcanum! Once again, THANKS rroyo! Just explored Brandybuck, the music is very cute. I'm lost at sea about starting though. It's been SO long since I played Arcanum without knowing exactly what to do before I started. It's going to be great fun.

18. lightzy

lightzy New Member

Ok so when is this new version of the mod with the better balanced levelling going to be in?

I also see there's a lot of content added.. more content = more XP.. so it needs to be doubly rebalanced

19. lightzy

lightzy New Member

There is no arcanum/data/ directory that i can see

ah u have to run the game once for it to make a data dir.
    fortunately I created a data dir and put the rules dir in it so i hope its working

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

With that levelling scheme, the Living One will have to gather over 63% more experience points than in vanilla in order to get from level 1 to level 50. A rather significant increase, even with the added content, I'd say.

Our Host!