Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hmmm...there is much temptation...but putting high-end spells at end of a boomerang would be very munchkin:

- Forget all enhancement spells of the 4 elemental colleges...they make absoultely no sense here. Same goes for any spells that summon creatures or mess around with time.

THat leaves:

Wall of Fire: A Firetrail Boomerang. **

Stun and Disarm or obviously useful. ****

Lightning Bolt, Fireflash, Jolt, Stone Toss, Harm are all obvious enough. ***

Quench Life and Disintegration are way too munchkin, unless there's a way to set a very low percentage of the spell activating and the item is difficult to acquire. Dominate Will would also be pretty silly to have and might actually botch a few quests. Same goes for Control beat on a lesser scale.

Squall of Ice : Icebringer? **

Call Fog: Mustard Gas grenade without the damage. *

Plague of Insects: Buggy Boomerang? *

Call Wind: Windstorm Boomerang? *

Poison Vapours: Basically an infinite Mustard Gas Grenade. *

Unseen Force: Pushing boomerang? *

Disperse Magick: Spelljammer Boomerang? ***

Bonds of Magick: Spellbiinder Boomerang? ***

Nightmare: Bansheerang? ***

Weaken - Draining Boomerang? **

Flesh to Stone - Medusae Boomeranf? **

Shrink - Compacting Boomerang? *

Polymorph - Morphing Boomerang? *

Flash - Blinding Boomerang? **

Entangle - Snakevine Boomerang? **

Stasis - Statis Rang? ***

-----

I guess that's a few possibilities....honestly...I'd really only think that a % to Disarm would be the best option.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

... Wow. Mine too. *fans self madly* Oh, look, I'm turning crimson. This is going to be so much fun to try and explain to my classmates. Gah...

Still, wow. Rino Romano being sexy. Huminahuminahumina...

3. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Luis is indeed exceedingly hot. I spent the entire time playing that game desperately waiting for his appearance, and when his involvement in the plot ended in a quite graphic and easily misinterpreted manner, I screamed with the fury of a thousand fangirls.

Luis was epic. Best NPC in the RE series bar Wesker. (And can I just say, Wesker in RE5? Oh holy mother of FUCK YES.)

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Your post kinda got buried.

In theory, most of what you can imagine for fantasy weaponry can be created - to varying degrees, of course. There are a few things that would require new protos or even tinkering with the game engine to make work, but many of the stock spells, eye-candy, or special effects are easy enough to tack onto an item.

If the name Thunderstones is an indicator of what they do, then you'd start with a generic throwable item - dynamite, for example - change the art to make it into a thunderstone, attach a script that calls for lightning bolt in the Hit slot, and try it in-game.
    Assuming you do hit the target, you should see the explosion and the lightning bolt.

FourHorsemen: Just for laughs I'm going to try those.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The side effect of the Thunderstone is that it stun the target as well.

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

The Disintegrating throwing weapon could be a throwing knife. That way, there would only be one (or a few, in case of a quest/dungeon etc).

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

"I've got something for you guys..."

:-o

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

EXACTLY! Just when things are starting to look up... BAM! Wangpaled! *shudder*

That game was two million kinds of royally fucked up, and we loved it too.

10. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I'm gonna get RE5 when it comes for the PC.

11. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well you could always try a RE style quest in Arcanum....I mean...you've got therr Zombies for it :p

Whatt you might need is something where if a zombie hits a followr, the follower turns on you...provided its possible to script somethig like that.

A town full of zombies...and people locked up in their homes :p

12. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Delicious. But we'd run out of zombies right quick. We'd need some sort of respawning zombies until the quest has been resolved.

13. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Something like the void gate from the Liam Cameron quest could work...

Butwouldn't the excess amount of zombie corpses eventually slow the game down....TBH I never tried hanging out by Liam's gate for more than 5 minutes cos those bastards overwhelm pretty fast...even with an uber.

14. Arthgon

Now that is something interesting. There should be an ultra-top secret organisation like Umbrella as well.

What if it is something like a disease that will slowly overcome the follower's constitution?

Or perhaps they begin to attack the citizens or villagers, who will slowly transform into zombies.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

This idea was already touched on with the Stonecutter Clan, so it would need something special to make the new adventure stand out.
    Done properly, it would make a decent post-Void adventure.

I think this idea got brought up once before but it is an interesting concept. Wouldn't want it to be instantanious, but effect the follower quite rapidly just the same.
    I'll have to check into this.

I haven't done any respawnable critters yet, but the mechanics are straight-forward enough. So there would be no shortage of zombies.

If you're going to plagerize a concept, no since going half-way. Of course there'd be a secret, sinister organization.

16. Arthgon

I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps the followers need to overcome three times the Constitution DC of the disease.

17. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Perhaps the easiest way to achieve this would be have a script that automatically equips some item on the character that slowly east away at his alignment and relationship with you. Something akin to effect you get the Dark Helm or Boots of the Dark Toll on your character.

The problem will likely be that the item could simply be removed from the NPC....so unless you can figure out a way to make the item unremovable or invisible...you could muck it up fairly fast.

Ican imagine an item that is worn on the neck called Zombie Bite (with appropriate graphics) and the script workld so that everytime you attack someone while wearing a Zombie bit there's a percentile (or automatic) chance that a Zombie Bite is replicated into their INV.

The Bite would have to be valuable or fancy enough for it to take priority over anything else worn on the neck.

Probably way too complicated...

But what if something could be done in terms of a spell (a la Agility of Fire) or even a Curse?

And a final question...woudl the Zombies have to be like the games Zombies...or Putrid Walkers, or the blue things whose names I forget....or just the "green" NPCS like you get when you cast create undead?

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I think I like this idea. And the only way to know if it's possible would be to try it. At the moment, I haven't a clue.

FourHorsemen: I think you're right about the "zombie bite amulet-thing" being too complicated. A curse or spell would be the way to go. Just need to figure out how to add a time-delay.

Yeah - The zombies and such would have to be the stock game ones - especially the respawned ones. Of course, a few of the initial ones could be beefed up a bit to add a little more challenge. Perhaps create a mix of the different types with a few green NPCs added for color.
    And the converted followers would turn green.

19. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Time delay...sounds tricky...you would really need to be looking at the scripts for those items that drain life or mana over time and see if they could be ported into a spell.

Doesn't the game compute things over time, like reducing your fatigue over time if you are very heavyly encumbered..?

What I'm trying to get at is that even if you don't have a time delay at hand, you might be able to work around it but using some increment or decrement of some variable or attribute.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

If memory serves, there is.

Also - I've spotted a couple scripts for damaging someone for a random amount. If I can make this work properly, then I could set up a script that'll gradually reduce a victim's fatigue or health level until it reaches a certain point, then the zombie spell would kick in, the follower would leave your party, and attack you.

This sounds complicated and probably is, but do-able.

Our Host!