Arcanum:WIP 3-0 Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Apr 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You could also try this:

1. The PC must sabotage/kill the rivals.

2. The PC must rob the weapon depot of the police, to get more weapons for the gang of I.B.Wolfe.

3. Some time later, the PC can work himself to the top of the gang.(Just like the mob.)

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

These are not bad. *prints page*

3. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

One more idea for a "Prove your worth: quest.

Seeing as they ambushed and captured the halflings at the pass, why not have the gang send the PC out to the same area(mark on map) and ambush someone else and bring them back for ransom.

You might also be able to peacefully barter for the release of the halflings, if being a goodie is your cup of tea.. :roll:

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I know I can set up the bartering for the halflings* but I'm considerably less sure about being able to bring an unwilling someone back to the cave.

Maybe if a black-out and teleport script was rigged to the NPC leader's surrender....

*Can you say "Another Side Quest"?

5. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Question: Does that Hobbit-like village still have LOTR music? Because... I just feel that this is Arcanum and not LOTR and we should make some serious distinction there and only drop casual references here and there. (I don't have Arcanum installed currently, so just wondering.)

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, frosted ambassador!

To answer your question, yes it does!

It's just a 25 second sound clip from the opening of "Concerning Hobbits" and I'm going to continue using that sound clip for the halfling communities because violin music just isn't appropriate.
    Correction: The violin music that comes with the game.

LOTR references: Yeah, there's a few - even before I got started.

BTW: Just about every town in the game has it's own unique piece of music. Why should Brandybuck or Plainwicke be any different?

7. team a

team a New Member

I'd agree that LOTR music wouldn't be appropriate for, say, Tarant, but LOTR seems to be the inspiration for Brandybuck... I thought it went really well. This might still be Arcanum, but it's also a blending of the two, and you'll only experience it in the areas added by rroyo.

8. frosted ambassador

Oh I know... I'm just kind of OCD about music. Has to be perfectly looping... perfectly original, high bit rate, etc... Anyways, I'll just deal with it myself. I just don't actually like the LOTR hobbit music, so I'll probably just manually replace it or just mute the music.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You've got my curiousity going now.
    If you do decide to replace the music - let me know what you choose. I'll take a listen, and if I like it better, I'll use it instead.

10. frosted ambassador

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Regrettably, my maxed-out security settings wouldn't let the page come up, but - I do have the soundtrack for Fellowship of the Ring and was able to refresh my memory on the song.

The song is good and wonderfully conveys the spirit of halfling communities, but there is a break in the rhythm about 3/4 of the way through that I found distracting.

I actually listened to the song twice and on the second time did a mental tour through Brandybuck as if I was seeing it for the first time.
    I stuck to the main road, conversed with the four halflings along the lower section, and stopped in at Weqia's place.
    The break hits just after you've talked to Weqia, popped out of the bushes, and right in the middle of your conversation with the smith.

I found this to be distracting because there's nothing dramatic around or about the smith where such a musical pause would play a role.

I'm afraid I'd have to think long and hard before adding the complete "Concerning Hobbits" to the game's music list but thanks for trying. I really do appreciate it.

12. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

So Rroyo, did you find out whether that guy's patch works with A:WIP or not?

13. frosted ambassador

Arguably I didn't find it that dramatic, but I can see how it doesn't really fit in with the area at the time. Maybe some audacity editing....

Edit: Despite a kind of sketchy transition (maybe not, I don't know), it potentially has 75% less drama - and stoppage.!

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzcxxknm1wb

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Spiffy: Do not! try to use the complete bug-fix with my hack. There's overlap on some numbers and a conflict between A:WIP and the bug-fix during start-up. It'll have to be added into my hack.
    So.....
    I've got about 2/3 of it added now, and at least half of what's left should work - but I'll need to do some careful testing to know for sure. My hack has a bad habit of refusing to work with things like modified .pro files.
    I expect there will be some stuff that will have to be left out, but it looks like it won't be too much.

frosted ambassador: I like this one. I think that if I do a bit of very careful shaving off the end (two seconds of silence) it just might do the trick very nicely.
    I'll plug this into the hack and take it for a few test-drives but it'll probably be Saturday before I can do it, so watch this thread and I'll keep you apprised.

BTW: Did you make this? Nice work.

15. team a

team a New Member

about the song: i was going to suggest editing it in music software. You might not only cut off the end but put some crossfade or something in there so it doesn't really "stop" at all. Think of Arcanum's music; it's really just a loop, only each of the songs have an interesting beginning. You notice when the song stops, but you don't really think about the fact that it ever ends.

about the patch: probably most of it can be integrated in with no problems, unless you altered any of the NPCs that the patch supplies .mob files for. I'm surprised that you have conflicts, but I think it's mostly a matter of finding what edits you made to files, then copying just those sections into the edited files and repacking them.

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That's what happening. There's bound to be odds and ends that'll have to be left out because A:WIP is stuffed full of various mods and hacks. This makes it a bit twitchy when trying to add some things.

The music: I was thinking of editing it just enough for the music to go quiet for a moment, then the soft "drum" intro begins again. Not unlike what the sound clip does.

Of course I'll do the initial tests as-is. It might be acceptable without needing to do anything at all.
    Step outside of Brandybuck and get a feel for the pacing of the wilderness music, then listen to "Concerning Hobbits" as I take the stroll up the main road.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You could pick up a program that'll let you edit music, and just chop it off at that point, or at point near there, and let it loop. Also (I'll confess that it's Jazz and not classical), look up Wes Montgomery. His pieces're all instrumental, and might work. Try a piece like 'Round Midnight off of the Jazz 'Round Midnight album. Or, if you were thinking a little more upbeat than that, go for Matchmaker Matchmaker. It's one of my personal favorites, and I think that it might work good for something. If nothing else, it's beautiful jazz. Who couldn't like that? [Didja ever think you'd get jazz advice from DF?]

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I appreciate the thought, Dark Fool, but the only new music I'll be adding is for the halflings. Just like Qintarra or Tulla, they needed something besides the stock violin music.

19. frosted ambassador

Well why don't we just add some Kronos Quartet, and Explosions In The Sky? I think we have to state some strict guidelines for adding music to the game, being that it has to sound like it's from the 19th century.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well, frosted ambassador, it is with great pleasure that I announce your wav version of "Concerning Hobbits" works perfectly. As it is.

Thank you very much for this.

From the pacing of the insert you made, to the volume, I like it and have replaced the sound clip permanently.

Heh - Even the halflings have violin music now. :p

The game tried to fight me over the replacement, but once I got the mp3 settings right, it just settled in and made itself at home.

Our Host!