Arcanum:WIP 2.2 (Beta) Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Oct 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

More than anything else, it sounds like you have the PATCH1 file in the wrong place.
    The game engine is reading the Arcanum5.DAT but not the Arcanum.PATCH1.
    So... Check one more time. The install location for the PATCH1 is Sierra/Arcanum/modules.

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Well since I didn't actually install the game from a disk and instead downloaded it from a friend, the path isn't Sierra/Arcanum, it's Desktop/Arcanum

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The first name doesn't matter, thankfully, but Sierra/Arcanum is the general way the disks install the game. Unless you specify otherwise.

I had this crazy idea you might have parked it into the Arcanum/modules/Arcanum folder.
    It needs to be sitting right beside the PATCH0 and Vormantown files.

4. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Oh shiznit... I just deleted PATCH0 today caus I thought it might have been preventing PATCH1 for some reason... any way to get it back? >.<

And it wasn't in modules/arcanum, it was just in modules

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

In Windows, go to Edit, and click Undo Delete.
    Or open your recycle bin, locate the Patch0 file, right-click, and select Restore.

These will only work if you haven't emptied the Recycle Bin since the delete. If you have, then run the patch exe again.

6. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

In Windows? You mean Start?

And... uh... I emptied the recycle bin... >.<

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I use Windows.

The window you're in to let you see the files on your computer should have a bar at the top with commands like File, Edit, and View.

Since you've emptied the Recycle Bin, reinstall the Arcanum patch. I don't think it will mess with my hack if you do.

8. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Will do :)

P.S. I also use windows, lol

Okay, just downloaded it, and got PATCH 0 back :)

What now?

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

With the AWIP files in the correct places, you should be able to play my hack.
    If not, well.... I'm out of ideas - again.

10. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

Amulet of leadership not working on equip

Edit: note, 100%TA character... SHOULD it work? I thought hexed was not considered magical and had its own agenda in overriding aptitudes?

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

At 100% Tech I wouldn't think so. That would mean "Magic Power Available 0%".
    I've never played as 100% anything, so I'm having to guess at this.

I know most hexed items will work regardless of tech/magic alignment but then, most of them have negative effects the item designers wanted to happen.

The Amulet of Leadership has a positive effect (and the increased reaction), and, to me at least, it would work much the same way as any other magic item. The Medallion of Beauty comes to mind.

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I found dwarven shopkeepers harder to kill with hexed items. Not sure whether it's because the TA, or greater fatigue or whatever though.

13. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

Regarding the hard coded map limit #...
    1. What is the maximum size an underground map can be?
    2. If the answer is HUGE, why not incorporate all new underground dungeons into ONE map and compact them into sections, kept far enough from others so as to never see the others unless desired. There is no world map underground, so the only problem with it would be over stuffing it with useless junk to slow down the cpu, which can be avoided by thinking through each encounter and making each interesting or challenging, rather than "dump load of monsters here".
    3. Because of the ECONOMY of use, you could have more above ground cities with town maps.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

15. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

well, then punt that idea about one huge map with many sectors. It'll chew memory in games with mega parties. Keep 'em small and pack in lots of maze like structures that make the most out of small spaces... like the first level in BMC.

As it relates to "mega parties" there is waaay too much money in mod'd arcanum of all types, and we need some serious spending cut backs or tax hikes and even some money pits. Also, the whole anti gravity thing, punt it. Instead, more +STR or CARRY techwear. Adding +str to something is easy, just be sure to put in a cost like -20 Magic resist. -10% on any resist for any one stat added is a good rule to go by.

Chests should be 2 tech components (random colleges) and 2 magic maintanence items ( they just keep you going hp, fatigue ). The good stuff should scale by encounter with mini's and bosses. Even then, one tech, one magic at the maximum. Same with jewelry that is 0 aptitude, 1 or 2 at most, throw in no more than random cut/uncut jewels. The non hagglers / gamblers should be making money by building and selling or by using their built stuff to level faster and get to farming bandits and molochean handers.

While on that subject. United Kingdom militia or something. Not much to it, just an npc or two and a building near the exit of tarant @ the boil. A repeatable quest for killing orc bandits out in the wastes. Kill 50, collect 250 gold. They have a private contract with Railroad ( and are short on help if you kill Bates, because all bounty hunters are after you ) to patrol the rails and telegraph lines just like the old west. Gold should be earned and proportional to the work. Mods just dump gold on characters. If you want easy money, re-roll a gambler or a haggler. Let the professor's and blue collars employ the tools of the trade(s) they have chosen to progress. Each playstyle should be viable and have its own rewards for that particular build.

The largest expenses in the game are the Bates Mansion and the Boat option. Having more money than both of those combined at any time should mean that you should have gone to the void years ago, finished and started a new character.

16. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I've thought of some new suggestions, if you're still taking them:

1. If it's possible, make it so it shows your background on your character sheet

2. Add more dialogue. Like if you are a techno elf and you go to Quintarra then you get a negetive reaction from the citizens, thinking that you are a bad name to the Elf race or something (also, if possible (and if it isn't already like that in the game)). Same with being a magick Dwarf in the clan mines.

3. Add more backgrounds that actually effect in game, and not just stats (like Special Person and the one that makes people either act bad or good to you (can't remember what that one's called)).

4. Add more magical and hexed items (if you haven't already).

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Can you say yearly property taxes? Or maybe even the annual saleries for the staff in your mansion? Docking fees.....

I like the the antigravity cheats, but you're right, the strength boosts are easy enough to add.

That's not bad.
    FYI: I have been radically slashing treasure amounts in the new areas.

I like it.

Plus a few things I have in mind.... The hobbit-hole was just the beginning.

18. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Meh... I guess you didn't like my suggestions :( :/

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well, you did post while I was writing up the reply to Tekkus.
    Here's the replies for your ideas:

1) I don't think it's possible.
    Edit: It already does. Just above the magick/tech meter. Click on the lightning bolt to view.
    2) As my scripting skills improve, the dialogs will get better and more complex.
    3) Again, adding new backgrounds isn't currently on my to-do list.
    4) That is being done. Slowly, but it's happening.
    If you ever get my hack to work, take a little stroll to the back of the Uncharted Cave....

20. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

new bug spotted. In Schematic.mes and Xschematic.mes, fire obstruction references are mixed... 15112 and 15153. Why you use two FO's that seem to be identically scripted I don't know. But the result of making a fire obs is 15112, and a 15153 is needed to make a flame thrower. Haven't checked others, may be more, haven't made a fire bow.

Our Host!