Arcanum Multiplayer.. working!!!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by wayne-scales, Mar 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. team a

team a New Member

Well, let me say this: Arcanum was meant for multiplayer, but it wasn't properly developed for multiplayer. It needed more time, just like dubugging the Arcanum module needed more time. Damn you, Sierra!

2. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Can I point out though, that I didn't make this thread to suggest that Arcanum Multiplayer was playable, I made it to show that even though the servers were down it's still possible to play online.

It wasn't really a bad idea as stated earlier, it was just to show that people were wrong when they said it was completely broken. When I made the thread, I assumed "broken" meant not working at all, but to be sure, I made this thread.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

team a it was never, ever supposed to be multiplayer but Sierra decided very late in development that it had to be multiplayer or they wouldn't publish it.

4. wayne-scales

I think what he meant was that it was obviously supposed to work if it was included, which isn't completely correct as you pointed out Vorak.

5. team a

team a New Member

It looks like I was wrong about this. I stand corrected.

6. wayne-scales

Why is this thread even still here!? I feel like Dr. Frankenstein after he created his monster! Also it makes me looked slightly like an idiot.

7. team a

team a New Member

EDIT:
    How's that? You're the one who figured out how to do this after the servers were all taken down, right? I think that kind of makes you to multiplayer what Bruticis is to the Lost Dungeon of Souls. Although that is a little anachronistic, since you came first...

8. wayne-scales

Not exactly! First of all, Bruticis did almost no work except for happening to be the owner of the disc everybody had been looking for, and then it worked as well as everybody expected it to! I, on the other hand, had to actually do work and then my discovery was a failure!

9. team a

team a New Member

You're right about having actually had to figure this out. What I meant was that you are known for discovering this, and that people probably think positively of you for it. What people might not like is the idea of Arcanum multiplayer, not that you shouldn't have even tried it. People can certainly always not play it.

How was it a failure? Was it just that you had problems with the engine? I thought everything seemed to work, as far as you could tell.

10. wayne-scales

By failure I mean it was of no real use to anyone

11. thescroll

thescroll New Member

that version of hamchi, which i spent the good part of an hour finding, doesnt work with vista, and the newer version wont work with arcanum. Well, i guess its just going to be vista incompatable

12. wayne-scales

Wouldn't it work if you ran if in compatibility mode for XP? The laptop I used was Vista, and I had no problem

13. wayne-scales

It seems a lot of people are looking for an alternate Hamachi Group to the first one I listed above, there is now another one open that I have created for anyone who's interested:

Network name: Bad Idea
    Network password: terra-arcanum

14. hellriot

hellriot New Member

I joined your group. I'm logged in right now bit I'll be leaving in about an hour. But I will get on tomorrow.

15. wayne-scales

I thought I said earlier: I have no interest in Arcanum Multiplayer, the new group and the instructions on how to get online are just for others that want to experiment with it.

Our Host!